585,883 active members*
5,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Need Help Selecting Power Supply and Drivers

Need Help Selecting Power Supply and Drivers

I purchased three of the stepper motors shown below because at the time they were an amazing deal. I need to find a compatible power supply and drivers. I was looking at the gecko units but wasn't sure if the G540 can handle this on it's own or if I'll need to get individual drivers for each motor. Also, I read that the motor can be wired three different ways (again see below). What is best (bipolar series, bipolar parallel, or unipolar). Sorry for such a dumb question. I just want to machine wood. I have the Cad/Cam experience just need a working machine. Thanks in advance to all.

Kollmorgen P22NRXB-LNF-NS-00 Stepper Motor, Flat Shaft, 214 oz-in, 2.3 A DC, 200 Full Steps/Revolution, 1.8° Step Angle, -20°C to +40°C Operating Temperature
    Kollmorgen P22NRXB-LNF-NS-00 Stepper Motor, Flat Shaft, 214 oz-in, 2.3 A DC, 200 Full Steps/Revolution, 1.8° Step Angle, -20°C to +40°C Operating Temperature: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    This Kollmorgen P22NRXB-LNF-NS-00 Powermax II stepper motor is a 2-phase National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) 23 electronic component motor with 214 oz.-in. holding torque. This brushless, maintenance-free stepper motor has oversized 30-mm bearings to provide up to 10,000 hours of bearing life and extend the life of the motor. The stepper motor is equipped with an integral connector. The leads can be wired as bipolar series, bipolar parallel, or unipolar. The stepper motor is UL Recognized and CE compliant.
    Specifications for model P22NRXB-LNF-NS-00
    Frame size NEMA 23
    Phases 2
    Length option 2 stacks
    Termination Integral Connector
    Winding type B
    Full step 1.8 degrees ±3.0%/200 steps per revolution
    Maximum shaft load rating (radial/axial) 20 lb. @ shaft center/13 lb. toward motor
    Thermal resistance 4.5 degrees C per watt
    Insulation NEMA Class B, 130 degrees C
    Insulation resistance 100 megaohms at 500 VDC, 25 degrees C
    Shaft dimensions 0.25 x 0.81 inches/6.35 x 20.60 mm (Dia. x L)
    Overall length 3.10 inches/78.7 mm
    Weight 2.5 lb.
    Part Number Shaft Modification Rotor Inertia (oz-in-s2) Holding Torque (oz-in) Current (A), Bipolar Series Resistance (ohms), Bipolar Series Inductance (mH), Bipolar Series
    P22NRXB-LNF-NS-00 (this model) Flat 0.0036 214 2.3 1.52 8.4

Re: Need Help Selecting Power Supply and Drivers

You want to run them bipolar parallel, where they are rated at 46 amps, and have an inductance of 2.1mH.

Gecko G201 or G203, or Leadshine Digital drives will run them well.

For a router, though, these are on the small side.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your feedback. This is my first machine so if I can just understand the basics while I ***** about the performance, on the inside, I'd be quite happy. As far as power supply goes, if the inductance is 2.1mH, I should use a ~45V power supply correct?Again, sorry for being so dense but what total amperage would you recommend? Would you mind pointing me to a product that will work well. I've heard so much about linear non-switching power supplies and I'm certain I'd get the specs right, but electrical setup wrong. Thanks again.

You should be fine. G540 handles up to 50VDC (I'd run 48VDC) and 3.5A max (again I'd run it just a tad lower.) The G540 also has 4 drives and it's own breakout board so a parallel cable from your computer (buy a cheap $10 parallel port card) to the G540 and a PSU is all you really need on the electronics side.

Whether to run unipolar, bipolar series, or bipolar parallel.... If you choose a G540 you cannot run in unipolar. You'd need something like HobbyCNC (which you need to solder together yourself.) Bipolar series gives you more low end torque but less top end speed, while bipolar parallel gives you more top end speed at the cost of less low end torque. Normally you'd go series because the motors will run cooler. I'd also tend to go series if you're using coarser pitch screws and parallel for finer pitch screws... but a lot will depend on how you design your machine...

Quote Originally Posted by siebiscuit View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. This is my first machine so if I can just understand the basics while I ***** about the performance, on the inside, I'd be quite happy. As far as power supply goes, if the inductance is 2.1mH, I should use a ~45V power supply correct?Again, sorry for being so dense but what total amperage would you recommend? Would you mind pointing me to a product that will work well. I've heard so much about linear non-switching power supplies and I'm certain I'd get the specs right, but electrical setup wrong. Thanks again.
    Please see above question regarding amperage. Please advise..