585,715 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > PROGRAMS GETTING CORRUPT CHARACTERS AND CONTROL SEEMS TO LAG

PROGRAMS GETTING CORRUPT CHARACTERS AND CONTROL SEEMS TO LAG

Hi Guys,

So I just replaced the power supply (AT P/S) for the control on an Arrow 1000 , 2100 control . The machine is back running ok. I am getting some weird stuff now though. When I send a program to the machine I am getting added characters. Its usually just a few but enough to slow me down a lot and cant really leave the machine unattended because it alarms from the incorrect gcode ( thankfullly it doesnt crash like a fanuc would ) . Also , the control is slower than usual and some menu buttons dont work if I have the spindle running. As soon as I shut the spindle off I get full control of the menus again. Weird .
    Somehow , I believe I have some interference from somewhere. Any ideas as to what this sounds like it could be ? I am going to maybe reseat the board and replug the peripherals and see if that helps. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Re: PROGRAMS GETTING CORRUPT CHARACTERS AND CONTROL SEEMS TO LAG

Update.. I did the whole unplug , replug thing and it still has problems with corrupt characters in the program and loss of control function buttons when the spindle is running. So there is a detail that I didnt mention previously. The OEM P/S is 230 watts (AT) . I had found a thread on here that it is better to get a larger wattage p/s , So I got a 400watt model. I was under the impression that the boards would only pull what they needed , I also thought the Hard drive would only pull what it needed. Now I am not so sure . Does anybody have any experience with this stuff ?

Side note - Due to the corrupt gcode characters and the huge length of programs I usually have , I was trying to run the part plotter to basically test all the code for errors . Does anyone know if this is possible ? I dont have an operators manual and the one that used to be online has been taken down.

Thanks for the help

Update ... I found and downloaded the operators manual - Still dont know if the plotter would help or if dry run would be faster. Would rather not have anything move, just want to test the program for errors.

You may have purchased a China made piece of junk power supply, if it is a 400W AT power supply it most likely came from China. You should buy a brand name ATX power supply and add a plug converter that goes from ATX to AT (P8, P9 ). The junk China power supplies can cause major problems with your A2100 control and result in a hard drive crash. I have seen it happen several times.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Thanks for the reply. I also purchased a name brand ATX p/s with the converter cable. Problem I found is that there is no output plug from the p/s to the op panel. How do I get the power to the op panel ?

You can purchase a splitter for that on line

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

RS232 cable should be less than 50ft and shielded. Are you using Ctrl On/Off, have you tied to slow down the baud rates? A bad PC-Keyboard can pull down the +5V logic power and create all kinds of havoc...