584,833 active members*
5,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Swiss Sanding

Hi All,

I am currently using a CNC Swiss to make parts that range from 3-8 inches long (so can't pull back into the guide bushing and can't run without guide bushing). We currently take the parts from the machine and sand them 1 at a time. I am looking for a way to sand them in the machine. My idea is to simply put a sanding tool inside one of my live tool holders and run the part up and down a couple times before spitting the part out. Material is stainless steel.

Does anyone have any experience with flap wheels or other sanding equipment inside a CNC oil based machine?
    Would a flap wheel even work when its covered in oil...?
    Maybe a wire brush wheel...?

Re: CNC Swiss Sanding

Anyone try a Silicon Carbide wheel on 400 stainless steel?

What are you trying to accomplish with sanding? are you just trying to deburr the part? do you have a gang only or Gang/Turret machine?
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Long inside diameter has minor mismatch that is currently sanded by hand with 180 grit sand paper.
    Sometimes chips are loosely hanging from the inside diameter so the wheel would need to be able to knock those off at the same time as it blends the mismatch.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4865 View Post
    Long inside diameter has minor mismatch that is currently sanded by hand with 180 grit sand paper.
    Sometimes chips are loosely hanging from the inside diameter so the wheel would need to be able to knock those off at the same time as it blends the mismatch.

Thanks!
    Whats causing the mismatch? Would it be easier to identify that problem and work on it? If you can't, I've never sanded in a machine but I have ground OD's. You're correct, you will need to identify a dander that can hold up in the hot oil environment of a Swiss lathe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk