585,930 active members*
3,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > PC Watercool system with a 2.2kW Watercooled Spindle

PC Watercool system with a 2.2kW Watercooled Spindle

Has anyone got any experience of using a Watercooling system for a PC to keep a Chinese 2.2kW watercooled spindle cool?

Something like this...
    Corsair Hydro Series H55 High Performance All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler, 120 mm Radiator: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    I want to avoid having meters of coolant pipe running from the spindle to a reservoir and instead have a small system that can be attached to the gantry on my router.

An obvious concern would be the radiator getting full of dust but I can live with cleaning it when required.

Another concern is whether the cooling capacity of the system is enough for the spindle. The 2.2kW spindles seem to run OK with a fish tank pump and a bucket so my gut feeling is it should be OK with a PC cooling system but I'm not sure if I need to spend £50 or £200!

Re: PC Watercool system with a 2.2kW Watercooled Spindle

Yes,it's been done lots of times.
    Not sure if you can modify an all in one system though, as you'd have to cut off the CPU cooler and adapt the hoses to fit the spindle. Most people buy a small radiator and pump, and mount them on the gantry.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry,
    I guess then it's a question of whether having a nice neat all-in-one fan and radiator is worth messing around with hose to the spindle.
    It doesn't look too hard to adapt the hoses though.
    I am still guessing that a PC cooler system would take enough heat out of the spindle. Just have to try it I guess.

EKWB's Predator line of AIOs are nice in that the pumps are mounted to the radiator.