585,712 active members*
4,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Robodrill 7.5hp spindle. Single Phase Power input No Rotary Phase convetor doable?

Robodrill 7.5hp spindle. Single Phase Power input No Rotary Phase convetor doable?

SO I picked up a 1995 Robodrill 16mb control with pallet changer. Problem is I have single phase power and the wife is adamant no rotary phase converter.. Could I use a couple stactics? One for the spindle and one for the main servos and control. I have a 125 amp service 220 single phase just for the machine. This is a good machine so I don't want to tear it apart too much to get it running on single phase. Any suggestions on what I can do. I am sure a rotary is probably the cheapest option but not an option since the wife will be running it.

Have work for it asap. Need help.

Donny

Re: Robodrill 7.5hp spindle. Single Phase Power input No Rotary Phase convetor doable

So no one has suggestions, criticisms etc for this hair brained idea? OR done something similar?

Donny

Re: Robodrill 7.5hp spindle. Single Phase Power input No Rotary Phase convetor doable

Why is your wife so against the 3 phase rotary converter? Fanuc really specifies 3 phase on the WYE configuration. If you really want your machine to push it's true potential then I suggest at minimum a 3 phase rotary converter.

She does not like the noise and neither do I. Then there is the perceived large power usage even when the machine is sitting idle. (Turns out 50 cents a hour at idle.) So not to bad. My last 20hp drew 20amps at idle.
    So did some more research. Looks like the main control is actually using single phase. So If I rewire it right only the Servos and spindle will have to go through a Rotary Phase convertor. Its separated at the transformer and the single phase controls the relay to turn on the 3 phase contactor. Should be pretty easy to run a separate single phase into the machine.

The last RPC we had was louder than a 7.5 hp air compressor. I see some places saying theirs are only 40db my last one was over 120db at idle. Anyone have any suggestions to a brand that's quite and good? Will 20hp be big enough? I have seen a few in the $1300 to $1500 with free shipping they say are quite but I have no idea. Would prefer a recommendation or two.

Donny

Check out Phase Perfect, no noise.

That looks interesting. VERY pricey. Do you have one? How do you like it if you do. I haven't been able to find any negatives by searching yet for them other than the price.

Donny

i do not, but a close friend has one. He loves it, His is pretty big, runs a couple machines off of it. Yeah they are a little pricey. I have seen them on craigslist, but not often.

I have done what you proposed. Rewire panel so servo power and controller are powered by 110V. VFD for spindle running on 220V single phase. There is supposedly a 20% power loss running VFD off single phase, but haven't noticed it. I have done this to a Haas and also a Fadal. and works great. I would advise to study electric diagram and consult with a good electrician who is familiar with process control before attempting. ( Don't want to let the magic smoke out of a $2500 drive.)
    I am not sure what VFD is in the Robodrill, but would research that drive and see if it can be feed with single phase.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    That looks interesting. VERY pricey. Do you have one? How do you like it if you do. I haven't been able to find any negatives by searching yet for them other than the price.

Donny
    What style phase convertor did u go with? I'm still looking for one my 87' mori seiki. Any info ild appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by WHEELSRR View Post
    What style phase convertor did u go with? I'm still looking for one my 87' mori seiki. Any info ild appreciate
    Phase Perfect is the only way to go for a reliable CNC power source, they are pricey but are the best choice, unless you can do your machine with 240v single phase, which a lot of the smaller CNC machines you can
    Mactec54

I went with a 10hp Phase Perfect. Costly $3500. But worth it. Only draws 4 amps at machine idle. Hangs on the wall. Quite. Love it. Wife is happy. Robodrill is happy.

Donny