584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Using my upgraded DIY CNC and DIY pen holder (video)

Using my upgraded DIY CNC and DIY pen holder (video)

This is a CNC test video, I am using my DIY pen holder to draw a pattern and write. The pen holder is just another DIY project, it took me about an hour to make it, including the figuring out of "how to make it" and from which readily available material.

My DIY CNC is upgraded. The mechanical parts are replaced, I made a new X, Y and Z axis. The upgraded CNC has 16mm supported round rails and 1605 ball screws and ball nuts. The speed is increased by 3 times, maximum speed is now 1500 mm/min, using the same NEMA23 steppers and 24V driving voltage.

Next in turn for upgrade is the electrical parts, new power supply and control box will be made. I have all the parts and will start as soon as I fixed a dust extractor as well. After that the spindle will be changed as well, probably a water cooled brush less VFD motor will be the one.

For details, please visit different related posts on my blog:

Adapting Camera

Or if you just want to make a similar pen holder you can visit that post, it contains a lot of detailed images.

Adapting Camera: Making a pen holder for my CNC

https://youtu.be/ItUOqsYaRB4

Re: Using my upgraded DIY CNC and DIY pen holder (video)

Nice. Looks like a simple but stable solution for holding a pen.

By the way looks like you made significant upgrades to your machine, it has the look of quality craftsmanship.

Re: Using my upgraded DIY CNC and DIY pen holder (video)

Thank you. Yes, the pen holder actually works better than expected, even though the hole for the tip is a bit larger than necessary, due to a last (too late) change in the design. I originally drilled for a Parker pen refill, but changed my mind and decided to use a less exclusive, plastic fantastic copy. The tip of the copy is slightly smaller.

I am very happy with my upgrade, it really is a huge change, going from the slow, rattling/vibrating version 1 to a stable, fast and clear sounding version 2 is really nice. Anyway, the upgrading continues, next in line is the power supply and after that is the control box change/upgrade. I have all the parts ready, and the design is ongoing mostly in my head.