584,837 active members*
5,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 cnc finished for now maybe
Page 8 of 53 67891018
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    .... Extending a couple inches past the end of the saddle on each side squeezes
    as much out of the travel as it can. The table still felt sturdy with the gibs extra tight, but I would only venture that far if I had to or for engraving.
    I'm noodling on something that will give a solid 16 inches and 20 if I push it.
    It'll be interesting when you put a dial indicator on the axis at the travel extremes and see what your deflection (flex) is?
    Like how much force it takes to move the indicator a few thou.

Whatever, I hope is will still useable for you.
    Good luck,
    Pres

Good point Pres,
    I'll check it out to see what's acceptable with this table
    before I spend any money.
    Hoss

Have the Z axis getting 9.8 inches of travel.
    Found that the ballscrew was binding near the top because the mount was bolted
    to an apparently unsquare casting, go figure.
    Added a shim on one side and now it goes all the way up to the bearings.
    I suppose if i added a thicker spacer under my z axis mount, i could get another inch. maybe later.
    And I suppose if i removed the z axis stop i could get another inch of lower travel, that would be about 12 inches total. maybe later. Besides, the endmill is already touching the table so what's the point.
    One more thing, here's a kick in the old fun bags. The new Xylotex board and power supply gives the old z motor enough power that i didn't need to make the counter balance afterall.
    i saw that the chain went slack and checked the speed of the motor without any help from the weight, no difference. i 'll leave it be, imagine it at least makes life easier for the motor.Should have done the xylotex first but oh well, this is all a learning experience.
    How does 12 inches of y travel and 16-20 inches of X travel sound.
    I've done some research and measuring and will get it rolling in a couple of weeks. Have stuff to order but this paycheck is already spent, freakin mortgage.
    Later Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z axis ballscrew mount shim 4_800x600.jpg   z axis travel limits 3_800x600.jpg   z axis travel limits 5_800x600.jpg   z axis travel limits 6_450x600.jpg  

Did a couple of deflection tests with the X Axis extended beyond the end of the Saddle.
    I can get 11.5 inches of travel now if i push it.
    At the point below the tool, the deflection is only .002 with a 30lb 5c collet fixture placed at the far end. Don't think I'd mill anything in a situation like this anyhow.
    The deflection at the far end with it fully extended as far as I dare is .004
    with me pulling down as hard as I could.
    Not too shabby for this little mill I think. Good enough for me.
    It's not as solid as a full size bridgeport of course, but the X2 is only 150 lbs. not 2500.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x axis defelection 2_800x600.jpg   x axis defelection 8_800x600.jpg   x axis defelection 7_800x600.jpg  

Like my fancy power drawbar? HAHA
    Copying this version somewhat.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm
    This is the next hurdle to making an automatic tool changer I've been noodling on.
    The extra x travel was the first hurdle.
    Onward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power drawbar 1_450x600.jpg   power drawbar 3_800x600.jpg   power drawbar.jpg  

Do you have have a wiring diagram for your control box?

dropride,
    I have a diagram on my site here.
    http://www.hossmachine.com/projects_...ircuit%20board
    the wiring diagram for the replacement board was pretty simple.
    I have a pic here. hope it helps.
    Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails replacement circuit diagram.jpg  

P.S.
    got an early birthday present.
    the parts are ordered (except Nook ballscrew) for my
    12in. Y and 20in. X Axis' travel upgrades.
    that will get the job done.
    yeehaw

Sorry meant the control panel. Can't wait to see the travel upgrade.Had to cancel my cncbridges table to fix the tranny in my truck and am going to convert my machine soon with the pile of aluminum i've been collecting.

oh, I never made made a wiring diagram for the control panel.
    I just soldered the panel switches to patch into or replace the joystick switches.
    I made some notes as I went as to where the joystick switch wires were attached to the circuit boards, then soldered the new switches to those points.
    They don't have to be in any particular order as Keygrabber in Mach 3 will program the button to whatever you decide to have it replace on the keyboard.

O.k. thanks

Hey Hoss -
    I too love that control panel. And, I get the joystick/key grabber mods, but can you explain how you switched the 110v circuits? Did you go through Mach3 or did you wire that all internally to the panel?

nomodoh, the 110 ac switches are just manual.
    I have 110 coming in and (4) 110 going out.
    Could have used a couple more switches.
    use them for the vac, controller, engraver, lathe etc.
    If you get the ac outlets, look for new ones that have a little tab on the side that can be broken off to give you 2 separate circuits in one unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails control panel progress 82_640x480.jpg   control panel progress 100_640x480.jpg  

Looking good Hoss!

I'd quite like to add a bracket for a high-speed spindle to my X-2 mill-head - do you think the 3 bolts that hold the bearing covers on the bottom of the head would be suitable, and if so, do you know their PCD?

Othewise, do you have any tips for mounting a second spindle an accurately known distance away from the axis of the first?

Cheers.

digits,
    I don't know the bolt circle of the bearing mount.
    It looks like it would be strong enough though I don't know how long the screws are. Could always drill and tap deeper.
    This guy has free prints for mounting a second high speed spindle.
    Little Machine Shop has a kit for installing one too that appears to mount to the bearing holes.

digits,
    I don't know the bolt circle of the bearing mount.
    It looks like it would be strong enough though I don't know how long the screws are. Could always drill and tap deeper.
    This guy has free prints for mounting a second high speed spindle.
    Little Machine Shop has a kit for installing one too that appears to mount to the bearing holes.
    Cheers hoss

Re MiniMill Bolt Circle

Per my mill bolt circle dia. is 2.764"

Pat

Here's a preliminary report on the X2 lathe attachment I'm working on.
    I'm making big changes to my Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe, so I'm using
    the leftover parts to build this. I'll have the same DC variable speed reversing motor for turning, plus I'll be using a stepper motor for 4th axis milling.
    I'm making the aluminum tailstock from scratch as well as the headstock. Trying
    to save some weight. The mill can handle my 22lb. magnetic chuck no problem,
    so that's the weight I want to keep this under.
    I'll have a complete overview on my website when It's finished.
    http://www.hossmachine.com
    Plan to use Bob Adams' Cad2lathe program with Mach 3 Turn to get it up and running. Check it out here.
    http://www.cad2gcode.com/index.html
    here's a few pics
    later hoss
    Hi hoss - how did you make your lathe head stock? Did you have another lathe to do the boring, or was it all done on your mill?

Quote Originally Posted by patveth View Post
    Per my mill bolt circle dia. is 2.764"

Pat
    Cheers Pat - in metric, I think that is about 70.20mm, so I'm guessing as all the screw holes are metric, the PCD probably is 70mm.

Hi Digits,

Yup you're probably right. The dimension I gave worked for my adapter but I'd guess that a bit of +/- slop would work as well too.

Pat

Page 8 of 53 67891018