584,837 active members*
5,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 cnc finished for now maybe
Page 1 of 45 12311

Hybrid View

X2 cnc finished for now maybe

Heres some pics of my Harbor Freight X2 that I finished cncing recently.
    Had successful tests running Mach 2 and some engraving software.
    Now on to some improvements to the table travel, gonna see what I can get
    out of it because 3.5 x 7 isn't enough.(Wish I would have splurged for the X3
    instead, but oh well.)
    Plan on making a remote pendant from a usb thrustmaster joystick.
    Just bought a Dewalt laminant trimmer. Have one more bracket to make to
    mount it on the head for better engraving.
    Does anyone know if the X2 spindle can be turned on/off from Mach 2 using
    M3/M5 thru the controller?
    more stuff to come, Have autocad drawings for all the mounting brackets
    that I made to mount the steppers and such if anyone wants them.
    The DRO is one I made from a ShumaTech kit. http://www.shumatech.com/products/dro-350/index.htm
    later Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc mill progress 7.jpg   cnc mill progress 10.jpg   cnc mill progress 16.jpg   cnc mill progress 18.jpg  

cnc mill progress 13.jpg   mill digital readout1.jpg  

Very nice work there Hoss. Would be interested in the drawings for your conversion. Any chance of sending them in dxf format please. PM me and I will send my email address.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Nice work!, and to answer your question about the spindle, yes you can tun it off/on, you will need a bob to do it. I used a multifunction from cnc4pc, it is the only one I have expeience with but I love it!! no more standing waiting for the part to finish and then turning off the router, now I just load the gcode hit cycle start and walk away and do something else.

Here's an update. Got another 3/4 inches of travel on the Y with a modification
    to the base. This gives me 4 7/8 x 8 1/4 travel for the X2.
    Better. I'll live with it for now till I run across an old cross slide to adapt to it.
    Maybe Little Machine Shop will get the X3 base for sale.Keep my eyes open.
    Have Fun, Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x2cnc table travel increase 1.jpg   x2cnc table travel increase 5.jpg   x2cnc table travel increase 7.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Here's an update. Got another 3/4 inches of travel on the Y with a modification
    to the base. This gives me 4 7/8 x 8 1/4 travel for the X2.
    Better. I'll live with it for now till I run across an old cross slide to adapt to it.
    Maybe Little Machine Shop will get the X3 base for sale.Keep my eyes open.
    Have Fun, Hoss
    Hoss,
    Most of what I've read about using ballscrews on the X2 say that one needs to mill the bottom of the table for the x-axis not to fit. Did you do this? Do you have a photo of the before and after?

Jay

Hey Jay,
    You do have to remove a little material from under the saddle to give
    clearance for the ballnut. I just used and angle grinder.
    Here's a pictorial that hopefully explains it. I didn't take any pics of the before
    and after, but was able to compile something close. Hope this helps.
    Also have a high res .zip of the drawing and the ballnut stop blocks rev B.dxf
    that shows changes I made to the X Axis block to give more clearance.
    Later, Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x axis ballnut clearance (Small).jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Guys,
    Thought I would upload the dxf drawings I made for the stepper motor
    brackets and such. Hope they help you out.They are in inches.
    I used ballscrews and nuts from http://www.homeshopcnc.com/page3.html
    I got my thrust bearings and metal timing pulleys and belt from
    https://sdp-si.com/eStore/
    I made the drawings with Autocad but turbocad can open them too.
    Enjoy, Daniel (Hoss) Kemp
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little more info for ya.
    The thrust bearings for xyz I bought at mscdirect.com http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

03380961 1.250X1.938X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB
    03381142 1.250X1.937X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT (2)
    03380045 1.250X2.344X0.625 THRUST-BALL-BANDED MEDIUM
    03548591 3/8 X 11/16 X 9/32 SET THRUST BALL BEARING (2 sets)

and the belt and metal timing pulleys I bought at Stock Drive Products and Sterling Instrument https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

A 6A 3-16DF03708 .200 (XL) Pitch, 16 Teeth, Aluminum Alloy Timing Pulley
    A 6A 3-32DF03712 .200 (XL) Pitch, 32 Teeth, Aluminum Alloy Timing Pulley
    A 6B 3-060037 .200" (XL) Pitch, 60 Teeth, 3/8" Wide, Urethane Belt

Later Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    A little more info for ya.
    The thrust bearings for xyz I bought at mscdirect.com http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

03380961 1.250X1.938X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB
    03381142 1.250X1.937X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT (2)
    03380045 1.250X2.344X0.625 THRUST-BALL-BANDED MEDIUM
    03548591 3/8 X 11/16 X 9/32 SET THRUST BALL BEARING (2 sets)

and the belt and metal timing pulleys I bought at Stock Drive Products and Sterling Instrument https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

A 6A 3-16DF03708 .200 (XL) Pitch, 16 Teeth, Aluminum Alloy Timing Pulley
    A 6A 3-32DF03712 .200 (XL) Pitch, 32 Teeth, Aluminum Alloy Timing Pulley
    A 6B 3-060037 .200" (XL) Pitch, 60 Teeth, 3/8" Wide, Urethane Belt

Later Hoss
    Hoss, I'm considering following your plans and am working to understand them in depth. One thing that is eluding me is the use of all the parts above. Specifically you specify two (03381142 1.250X1.937X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT (2)) thrust washers. However in the z axis mount.bmp you only use 1 ("thrust bearing i.d. 1.25 o.d. 1.938 width .110). Where is the second washer used?

Secondly, I think it's safe to assume that you did not replace the bearing assembly on the X-axis. Other than that I think I have it

Finally, did you buy a 15/16 - 16 tap?

Jay

Smile toolchanger

have you got and will you share any info you have on the proposed auto tool changer? after the in depth descripitions and the workmanship i have seen so far i feel your the man to go to. thanks in advance greg

Hoss, this looks like an excellent conversion! Please provide us with more information on the electronics such as the steppers, controller board etc. Thanks for the excellent information you have already provided.

Hey nancygal,
    Here's some more info for you.
    I used a FET-3/Dynamo kit($329) from stepperworld.com
    http://www.stepperworld.com/FET3dynamo.htm
    It has a 3 axis controller with 190 in/oz stepper motors and accessories.
    I read on a post somewhere when I was researching it that these motors had enough torque to snap a 3/8 endmill so I figured that would do me just fine.
    If I was starting now, I would upgrade to their 4 axis controller for $50 more.
    Might come in handy for a rotary table or something but oh well.I'll post a couple pics of how I hooked them up. I used an old pc case to house it all. I hooked up the controller to the mill using pc DB9 serial cables(had to solder plugs to the motors and controller)so it's removable.I used S-Video cables to hook up the DRO to the scales. Get them at http://www.cablewholesale.com/
    You only need 6 wires to hook the motors up(instructions are included) so you
    could use MiniDin6 (PS/2) cables to hook them up for a tidier wire bundle on the mill.Again If I was doing it now,that would be easier to encase with a cable shroud to protect them. You can get the solderable DB9 connectors and cables at http://www.computercablestore.com/Se...CategoryID=212
    I got the scales for the DRO on Ebay from 800watt's store http://cgi.ebay.com/0-12-Y-AXIS-VERT...QQcmdZViewItem
    He has great prices but is pretty slow on shipping and bad at emailing you back. Might want to search Ebay for a different seller for the DIGIMATIC DIGITAL SCALE UNITS.
    well, hope this helps.
    Have Fun, Hoss
    P.S. This all takes a little bit of work but that's the FUN part, and It only cost me about 1/3 the cost of a turnkey cnc X2 I've seen for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc mill progress 3.jpg   cnc mill progress 5.jpg   cnc mill progress 14.jpg   cnc mill progress 15.jpg  

mill readout 4.jpg   mill readout 10.jpg  

Hoss;
    Great job! I'm interested in your zaxis conversion and the rotating ball nut. I've been searching for such a design for my lathemaster. Tired of wearing out balls trying to move that 250 +lbs of mass.
    Unfortunately, I tried opening your dxf files with bobcad 21 but will little success. Can you email me at bsouthnow @ aol.com, copies of your zaxis drawings. I would really appreciate it!!!
    Very Best
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hoss;
    Never mind the email for the files. I found an old copy of Turbocad pro (pre bobcad) and re-installed it for the drawings. Thanks! Would it be possible to share some detail on how you constructed the z-axis with bearing numbers and so forth?
    Thanks again.
    Bill
    billyjack

Hey Bill,
    The bearings for the Z axis are in the post#6 above that I got at mscdirect.com.
    The location for the 2 big bearings can be seen in the cnc z axis mount.dfx above.You might need to use a shim (the same diameters as the lower thrust bearing)between the lower spacer and the thin thrust bearings to take up any backlash.The timing pulley is drilled and tapped to mount to the T shaped upper spacer that then slides down into the large thrust bearing.I'll work on a better expanded drawing for the parts used in cnc z axis mount.dxf.heres some pics of closeups of the Z axis from different angles.Hope it helps.
    Later Hoss
    P.S. here are jpgs of the drawings for anyone out there having trouble opening the dxfs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill readout 1 crop .JPG   mill readout 2crop.JPG   mill readout 3crop.JPG   mill readout 11crop.JPG  

ball nut stop blocks rev A.jpg   ballscrews.jpg   ballscreww base mount.jpg   stepper motor couplings.jpg  

x axis stepper mount.jpg   y axis spacer.jpg   y axis stepper mount.jpg   z axis ballscrew mount.jpg  

z axis inner block.jpg   z axis spacer.jpg   z axis stepper mount.jpg   cnc z axis mount.jpg  

Thanks Hoss. I missed that dwg yesterday when I was playing around with Turbocad. It makes the whole setup a bit clearer. I'm still going to have to "study" on it awhile (like that say here in SC) and let everything soak in. Thanks for all the info!
    Bill
    (wedge)
    billyjack

nice project

Hoss,

Don't forget about the Promo Codes!

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Promo.JPG   WT.JPG  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Looks nice! How long did it take?

Gray
    My advice is worth less then you paid for it.

Here's an explanation for the Y Axis assembly as requested, check out the pic.
    Happy to help.
    keep an eye out, my control panel is coming together, will post pics when it's done.
    To answer Henry's question, I started ordering parts last April and worked on it off and on for a few months. Had it up and running in July/August.Still coming up with stuff to do to it, like the control panel and the engraver mount.Once this is done I'll turn my attention to my 7x10 minilathe. Have some cool ideas to try on it including cnc.
    Have fun, Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y axis assembly (Large).jpg  

Page 1 of 45 12311