585,996 active members*
4,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD V28 crash when trying to edit the Stock --- Please do a test for me
Page 1 of 2 12

BobCAD V28 crash when trying to edit the Stock --- Please do a test for me

Hey guys, maybe I should have stuck with V27 on my main computer. Honestly V27 has been rock solid for me. Can someone with V28 do a test for me to see if you crash as well. I can simulate this crash 100% of the time.

1) Create a Mill job and just add a basic rectangle the center.
    2) Go to your CAM tree, Right click on Stock and do the Rectangular Stock Wizard (Do not take Bounding Box). Instead Click the "Enter" bullet . You can leave the X, Y & Z values as is.
    3) Click OK.
    4) Right click on Stock and choose Stock Wizard
    5) Click the Right arrow to proceed forward
    6) I get "BobCAD V28 Application has stopped working" at this point. The only thing I can do is Close Program at this point.

If I do bounding box and go back in to edit the Stock, It does NOT crash. It's only when you Enter the stock values.

Please get back to me with your results.

Thanks.

Re: BobCAD V28 crash when trying to edit the Stock --- Please do a test for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Hey guys, maybe I should have stuck with V27 on my main computer. Honestly V27 has been rock solid for me. Can someone with V28 do a test for me to see if you crash as well. I can simulate this crash 100% of the time.

1) Create a Mill job and just add a basic rectangle the center.
    2) Go to your CAM tree, Right click on Stock and do the Rectangular Stock Wizard (Do not take Bounding Box). Instead Click the "Enter" bullet . You can leave the X, Y & Z values as is.
    3) Click OK.
    4) Right click on Stock and choose Stock Wizard
    5) Click the Right arrow to proceed forward
    6) I get "BobCAD V28 Application has stopped working" at this point. The only thing I can do is Close Program at this point.

If I do bounding box and go back in to edit the Stock, It does NOT crash. It's only when you Enter the stock values.

Please get back to me with your results.

Thanks.
    This has already been covered elsewhere but it is a "bug" known about by BobCAD, solution (Workaround ) offered by BC is to save out the job before trying to edit the stock, close the one on screen and and open the saved prog and you can then edit the stock as required, no explanation as to why just a "workaround

Hope that helps

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Hi Rob,

Very helpful!! The work around actually works! I honestly can't find where it was covered before. I searched and just come up with my own post. haha. All I can say is that my my V27 computer, this crash does not happen. Sure would be nice if there was a 'sticky' stating the known bugs for V28.

Thank you.

This happens with the solidworks V4 plugin as well, but not every time.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    This happens with the solidworks V4 plugin as well, but not every time.
    Does the same "workaround" do it for V4 ? ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Sure does, been doing that for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    Sure does, been doing that for some time now.
    Great

Well, good. At least we will all be familiar with the product and the 'workaround workflows' to implement right!
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Rotax91,

Please call me, I need to speak to you.

877-262-2231 Just ask for Al
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Hi Al,

Sorry I didn't call you today. For some reason I don't get email notifications when someone replies to my posts or PM's me. I will definitely call you Tuesday.

Thank you.

PS-- Someone also sent me a PM for more info on this issue. I replied to them and they are supposed to forward it over to you.
    The message I sent them was much longer but in a nutshell, I had V27 Mill Pro on my desktop system. I installed the V28 demo while having V27 at the same time because someone posted on here that this was ok(perhaps not?)... I then purchased V28 but before installing, I uninstalled the demo, then installed V28 from the link that was emailed to me. Build 1777.
    The only thing on here now is V28.

I'm willing to uninstall all of BC, blow away any folders and then reinstall to see if that helps but I will talk to you first since I would need to deactivate it anyways.

There is a similar bug when "extract edges, single" and trying to use the line for more wire frame work. Bob will crash. Extrude .250 more, than extract those edges, now the first edges are workable. Seems to be the same turmite with a different tunnel. Sorry for the jack.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Rotax91,

Please call me, I need to speak to you.

877-262-2231 Just ask for Al

Hi Al,

I just called BC support and got voicemail. I did leave a message with my phone number if you'd like to talk to me more about this issue.

Thanks.

Al, do you still need to speak with me on this? Or do you have enough info from my post? I left my number yesterday when I got Bobcad support voicemail.

Thanks.

Hello Rotax,

Yes I would like to still speak with you. Steve is going to forward me your contact information.
    Al DePoalo

Just spoke to the famous Al Depoalo on the phone for the first time. He just wanted to make me well informed that the issue has been addressed in the next release build as well as some other things and will come out soon.

Thanks Al for the opportunity to speak on the phone. Keep up the great work on the Youtube videos. I find these extremely valuable.

In 27 I get a crash a lot of times if I just hit Edit in the Machine Setup. I always hit save right before I try and go in there to edit cause never know when it will strike.

FYI only: I was working with files yesterday that today would crash bobcad V28. Could not get these 2 .bbcd files to open only crash. Tried some other files and they worked. Hmmm. Almost by accident and with malice aforethought I opened a NEW file and MERGED the troublesome file and voila, there she be nice and purty. Wow, almost lost a day's work. Only took hours to figure out. Would like to know if this works for you when bobcad v28 or other versions crashes and won't open your drawings.

Lock up and shuts down are frequent. System locks up religiously when I re select geometry. Issues on the pocket cycle in regards to rapid and feed planes. I own v18. I work with v27 at the day job. I got a little help from tech support and sales. I was going to get it for my shop. They made me an attractive offer also considering I purchased 18 in the past. With the problems I was having at day job I really didn't want it for my shop. Not without any fix on what I was having trouble with. I asked if they could look at the lap top I was on maybe that was the issue but The company was out of support so I couldn't get much help about it. so no I didn't purchase bobcad for shop as a result.

Ok so there are a few things going on here. In V27 there is a known issue that if you haven't saved your file and you try to edit the machine setup it causes a crash. If you are running V27 and need to edit your machine setup make sure to save the file first. In V28 this issue has been resolved.

Naa, So with your files something went wrong with your cam tree. I can't tell you what, but if you try to open a file and it crashes every time, there is an issue. You can save the geometry by merging the file into a new file. It will strip the CAM tree, but will save the CAD geometry. So if you have an issue where the file crashes every time, merge the file to save you CAD work.

I highly recommend all customers to be on a support plan. We have a great support team with really awesome guys that know their stuff, If you're not on a support plan you'll never get to meet these guys. Just my 2 cents....
    Al DePoalo

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Ok so there are a few things going on here. In V27 there is a known issue that if you haven't saved your file and you try to edit the machine setup it causes a crash. If you are running V27 and need to edit your machine setup make sure to save the file first. In V28 this issue has been resolved.

Naa, So with your files something went wrong with your cam tree. I can't tell you what, but if you try to open a file and it crashes every time, there is an issue. You can save the geometry by merging the file into a new file. It will strip the CAM tree, but will save the CAD geometry. So if you have an issue where the file crashes every time, merge the file to save you CAD work.

I highly recommend all customers to be on a support plan. We have a great support team with really awesome guys that know their stuff, If you're not on a support plan you'll never get to meet these guys. Just my 2 cents....
    It is v26 I have at work. I knew I was out of support. Not much I can do. Can't make them buy it. Didn't really need it. These seem to be problems unrelated to simple programming or the manufacturing a part. More of a setback than a learning curve. With not being able too get help because Company was out of support I wasn't willing to chance the investment. I was hoping someone would say "hey this guy is not gunna buy our stuff with the bugs maybe we should try to help explain" They tris to change the build number but still had problems. I have 26. If it's a problem in 27 guess it didn't get fixed from 26. hope y'all get it worked out.

Page 1 of 2 12