585,987 active members*
4,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser engraver help

I am trying to refit my flashcut sherline mill with a laser cutter and trying to configure the spindle controller to turn of after every move. Is there a place in the setting to set that up or do i have to use a gcode edit in my files?

Re: Laser engraver help

I don't recall seeing that in the regular FC setup. I would think that command would need to be inserted into the gcode either by hand or in your CAM program. How are you generating your gcode?

Re: Laser engraver help

I was just thinking...if you have the laser head retract between moves you could rig up a switch on the Z axis that could in turn connect to one of the logic inputs. Then in FC I believe you can assign that input to a spindle or relay control. Certainly not the most elegant way to do it, but it might work. This way when your code tells the Z axis to go to its safe Z when a move is done, the switch would be activated. At the new location when the Z drops into position the switch de-activates and the laser comes on. (or vice-versa). Depending on your laser you might be able to wire the switch directly to it.

Dave