585,668 active members*
4,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > "Z" Axis in Fusion 360

"Z" Axis in Fusion 360

I've watched the videos, they make it look so easy, but I have a really difficult time getting the "Z" axis vertical with the X and Y on the planes and pointed the directions I chose. I can set the origin where I want it, but for some reason the Z axis wants t be in the horizontal plane. I mess around until its finally vertical but meanwhile the origin has moved somewhere else. How can I get the origin to stay put and force the Z+ to be vertical and stay there while I try to get the X and Y where I want them?

Re: "Z" Axis in Fusion 360

When entering cam first thing to do is Setup that is where you can set the orientation of the Z and either X or Y axis the remaining axis is default but you can flip the X or Y selected with the tick box.

OK, I must've messed it up somehow. I did the stock, then set Origin, then to WCS to set "Z". No problem so far, except I need to flip the "X". So I check the 'Flip X' box, hit the 'X' arrow,.whole thing jumps to some other location and the "Z" is horizontal again. It's something I'm doing or not doing, but really frustrating. The videos make it seem idiot proof. Ooops!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If need be I'll set G54 so it won't be necessary to flip either the "X" or the "Y" axis.

Making a video with Autodesk Screencast will make it easier for others to see what you're actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    OK, I must've messed it up somehow. I did the stock, then set Origin, then to WCS to set "Z". No problem so far, except I need to flip the "X". So I check the 'Flip X' box, hit the 'X' arrow,.whole thing jumps to some other location and the "Z" is horizontal again. It's something I'm doing or not doing, but really frustrating. The videos make it seem idiot proof. Ooops!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If need be I'll set G54 so it won't be necessary to flip either the "X" or the "Y" axis.

To flip the X axis all you should need to do is check the "flip X" box OR ckick the arrow, not both. Is it possible that when you click on the arrow you are actually selecting another entity for the Z axis, which then makes it change orientation?

C|

I had the same issue. After checking the 'flip x' i had to reselect the origin to put it back to were i wanted it.

Generally it's best to select the XYZ orientation first, then select the machining origin, then set stock size. You don't have to do it this way but it's a little easier, which is why the tabs are presented the way they are.

Also, there was a bug logged some time back about the origin changing location when the "flip x" box is toggled, as opposed to clicking on the arrows which does not move the origin. I don't know if this still open or if they decided it's actually intended behavior.

C|

Quote Originally Posted by bozidar22 View Post
    I had the same issue. After checking the 'flip x' i had to reselect the origin to put it back to were i wanted it.
    I checked the AD Fusion forum and this is indeed still an open bug. No idea when it will be fixed but if you need to flip the direction of any of the axes without moving the origin you need to click the arrow for that axis and NOT check the flip axis box.

C|

One thing I did as soon as I installed fusion was to set the Z axis as "up" by default. Go to your name in the upper right hand corner, click "preferences" and then on the mainpage it brings you there is a dropdown called "Default Modeling Orientation". Set that to "Z up" and you should be all set!