584,858 active members*
4,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Looking for Suggestions on Building a Shop
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking for Suggestions on Building a Shop

So... Here's my situation. I'm outgrowing my garage (20 x 20) and need a bigger space. I want to keep things here at my house since this is my "hobby" and am looking at building a shop. Under normal conditions this would be an easy fix. Pour a slab and put up a 20x40 or 30x50 workshop. However, I cannot get concrete trucks back to my house due to one of the worst private driveway paving jobs ever done. My driveway is 1/2 mile long and the minute I put a concrete truck on it, it's going to bust up the pavement and I'm going to end up costing me $100K to rebuild the driveway just because I wanted a workshop. I've also checked and no one within 50 miles has the small trucks (4 yards). Even a half loaded full size truck is going to kill the driveway.

I'm thinking of doing it on a super well build floor system set on piers. I was thinking 2x10's on 12" centers and double layered plywood.

Anyone done anything like this? What do you all see the problems I might run into with the mill sitting on a wood floor? I can pre-plan the mills location and build that up even more...just not sure on how to keep it level if it's wood vs concrete.

Would love to see any photos of workshops that anyone's built.

Thanks for any feedback.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Looking for Suggestions on Building a Shop

Rent a mixer that's on a trailer (one or two yards) and have the truck pump into that and drag it into your back yard and dump. That's the best idea I've got...sounds like tons of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Rent a mixer that's on a trailer (one or two yards) and have the truck pump into that and drag it into your back yard and dump. That's the best idea I've got...sounds like tons of fun!
    I talked with some folks about that the other day any they said it was going to be quite difficult to mix and pour a slab in the 20x40 range doing it that way. They had a whole bunch of calculations on how fast you can mix a batch, dump/pump it and re-arm with the next batch. It comes out to something like 1,000 bags of Quickcrete just to put it into perspective.

If you did the post style floor out of treated 4x4's end cut (just like all the auto factories did back in the day) you could probably put a heavy epoxy/stone coat over the top or do an Everstone type finish. I don't know what the frost line is in your location, or the water table so results may vary. Good luck!
    EverStoneFloors.com - Natural Stone - epoxy stone floors, stone floors, resurface concrete, repairing concrete, epoxy resin, stones, natural stone floors

Ya need a real pump truck to fill the trailer with, should be able to fill and dump and repeat no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Ya need a real pump truck to fill the trailer with, should be able to fill and dump and repeat no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Sorry, totally missed your point. Now I see what you're saying. Have the truck out at the road (1/2 mile out), pull the mixing trailer out to the road, fill it up with 2 yards, tow it back to the house and pump it into the slab. I'm going to have to look into what's available to rent around here for that.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    If you did the post style floor out of treated 4x4's end cut (just like all the auto factories did back in the day) you could probably put a heavy epoxy/stone coat over the top or do an Everstone type finish. I don't know what the frost line is in your location, or the water table so results may vary. Good luck!
    EverStoneFloors.com - Natural Stone - epoxy stone floors, stone floors, resurface concrete, repairing concrete, epoxy resin, stones, natural stone floors
    I'm in Northeast Georgia so freeze is not a real big problem. I think it's 18".

If you have place that rents skid steers they may have a concrete bucket that can be rented also. A wheeled skid steer and a concrete bucket (i think they hold 3/4 to a yard) with a spout can make pretty quick work.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarpenter2 View Post
    If you have place that rents skid steers they may have a concrete bucket that can be rented also. A wheeled skid steer and a concrete bucket (i think they hold 3/4 to a yard) with a spout can make pretty quick work.
    That's an excellent point. I helped my friend put "muck pilings" in for a commercial greenhouse and that's exactly how we did it. We had the pumper truck there and just kept moving.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    That's an excellent point. I helped my friend put "muck pilings" in for a commercial greenhouse and that's exactly how we did it. We had the pumper truck there and just kept moving.
    While this is most likely your best option and might even be your only option . be aware a skid steer with a concrete lift bucket on front can also damage most surfaces you drive it on. the problem is you focus most the weight on the front 2 wheels. Your concrete subcontractor should have a great deal of experience with these problems or they have not been in business long.
    A little advice from a life long professional builder. Also do not even think about mixing your own concrete I cringed when you mentioned sack crete above. There is much more to concrete then some aggregate.
    and cement mix. like baking a cake if the mix is not good your going to get questionable results. And the last thing you want is problems with the floor . some quick math to help you with your decision on feeds and speeds .
    30x30 floor slab 4" thick = 900 sqft 900x.33 = 297 qubic feet. 297 / 27 qf per yard = 11 yards of concrete with no waste. A monolithic edge around slab would be 120 lf x 1'x1' aprox size = 120 qf / 27 qf per yard = 4.44 qy of concrete 11 + 4.44 = 15 yds total for the project neat. if you have pump trucks they require about a yard to prime and other grade varations could result in more concrete required. You never ever want to be short on concrete.If you need to have more sent out this will cause a possible stop in work forming a cold joint in the finish.
    hope this helps!

the solution is simple...
    just make a conscious decision that you want to "upgrade" to a gravel driveway and kill two birds with one stone... you will get concrete to where it is needed, and the trucks will turn your current driveway into a gravel driveway in the process... win-win...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Do they make a 1/2 mile long hose and a pump strong enough that can reach your build site?

Quote Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
    Do they make a 1/2 mile long hose and a pump strong enough that can reach your build site?
    Unclear what they needed pump for it was mentioned in other posts. This is a small job and should be possible to complete right out of truck with no additional conveyance system.
    They do make some powerful equipment for concrete "Think 2000 ft high rise buildings "
    An additional idea to consider is to use a temporary road "easy to do in many cases unless your in a forest of trees or on side of a mountain or -swamp. You can drive along side of your existing road to get material to job. Then when project is complete and all lumber roof trusses, concrete, drywall........................... has been delivered you can spread out some grass seed on the damaged areas and let mother nature do its thing.
    Another option to consider.

I was assuming worst case and that he couldn't get a truck close to his build site and so the closest he could be was at the entrance to his driveway which was 1/2 mile away. With that being the scenario that is why I recommended 1/2 mile of hose and a pump to push it through that length of hose.

At this point I would price out all of the options, Did the people building the road screw up and not make it to your spec?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Unclear what they needed pump for it was mentioned in other posts. This is a small job and should be possible to complete right out of truck with no additional conveyance system.
    They do make some powerful equipment for concrete "Think 2000 ft high rise buildings "
    An additional idea to consider is to use a temporary road "easy to do in many cases unless your in a forest of trees or on side of a mountain or -swamp. You can drive along side of your existing road to get material to job. Then when project is complete and all lumber roof trusses, concrete, drywall........................... has been delivered you can spread out some grass seed on the damaged areas and let mother nature do its thing.
    Another option to consider.
    Hey MountainDew,

Thanks for your insight and experience. Yeah, the whole idea of doing it myself with a hand mixer was quickly thrown out the window. Unfortunately we live on a very remote track that's in some pretty extreme hill country. In addition to this there are two large creeks that would have to be navigated as well. I have a Terex track skid steer, Ditchwich SK500 mini skid as well as a Kubota tractor with loader and backhoe so I'd have no issue putting in a temporary portable driveway if I could but between embankments and creek crossings that option would not work. It's also possible that I may just have to wait until someone builds houses on the other three lots and screws up the driveway. That is unless the lots go into foreclosure at which point I may purchase them then I'd be 100% responsible for the road. If it were not so steep I'd opt to take it back to a gravel drive. One of the hills is so steep that they could not pour concrete on it due to the grade....

What's your thought on heavy duty wood floor? 2x10 on 12" centers with double layer 3/4"?

Did the people building the road screw up and not make it to your spec?
    We bought the house and land from the developer back in 2009 during the real estate crash. I guess I should look at it as, "we got a hell of a deal on the house and land, so who cares if I need to put a new driveway in".

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    the solution is simple...
    just make a conscious decision that you want to "upgrade" to a gravel driveway and kill two birds with one stone... you will get concrete to where it is needed, and the trucks will turn your current driveway into a gravel driveway in the process... win-win...
    Oh what I'd do to take it back to gravel. I cannot get mulch or anything else requiring a big truck delivered to the house. However the grade on one section would require four wheel drive to get up which would not be and issue for us, however kind of sucks when you want to have family and friends over.....

Will you be able to get into the crawl space and add supports under the machine? your floor system is strong, but still flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Will you be able to get into the crawl space and add supports under the machine? your floor system is strong, but still flexible.
    I'll be building from scratch so I can put in whatever supports are needed where the machine is going to sit.

Pumps: check out Putzmeister.

I had the same initial reaction (because I had to pump a whole bunch for a poured basement a few years ago), but then had second thoughts. As noted earlier, this is about a one truck job (11 yards). Priming a 3000 foot hose is no small chore. A six inch hose is about 0.2 cu feet per foot, or 589 cu ft for the hose. If the job is 300 cu ft, and the hose is 600 to prime...you're gonna have one heck of a lawn ornament left over. A 2 inch hose is about the same volume as the slab.

Maybe one can push a bolus of concrete through the line with a plug of some sort without tripling the amount needed (did that with soap gels in production, we used Nerf balls), but it still sounds a bit iffy. I don't think the pump is going to be the problem (not much of a pressure head), it's just the sheer volume of the line that makes pumping a nonstarter. Unless I did the math wrong, which is always possible.

Page 1 of 2 12