584,802 active members*
4,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shoptask pricing

What did you guys pay or are going to pay for your shoptask? I finally decided to buy one, but the price went up from Friday to today to $2195. I know it was selling for $1995 for about 3 months now, guess I missed the boat on that one. I am going to rethink this, but was wondering if you guys think this is still a good price.

I just looked at the Shoptask site... hmmm I guess the price just went up..I paid the $1995 and got extras to bring it over the "lifetime" guarantee. It's best to call them and inquire just what kind of deal you can get..... and what's included.

Did you get a better deal on the accessories? I called with a list of upgrades, but they didn't want to budge on price.

As for accessories, I got the basics I thought I would need... a four jaw independent, etc. But then I decided while waiting to include the ballscrew retrofit. I got the CNC motors and power supply/drivers from Camtronics. Didn't get any "deals" on anything....all as priced.

Ours was the cadillac, with the CNC, balscrews, DRO......and we payed the listed price for everything.

I am still up in the air over if it is a "good" deal or not. We have had to do LOTS of fine tuning, and some major re-work on it, and it is less than 2 months old.

Personally I would buy a larger surplus machine for the over $5500 + shipping we payed for ours. and get a machine that is used, but the "bugs" have been worked out of. I have yet to be imperssed with the quality of anything on this machine.

Devinchi... I was just curious how you resolved that pulley overhang problem you spoke of in your posts.
    Did you go with shorter belts?

Mysterious... I fully intended on going CNC with my machine but since I was a total greenhorn to this, I wanted to learn from setting it up myself...and achieve quality control from my end.
    Even the ballscrews ..I would have installed myself after seeing how it was done.
    I expected the machine to have more major problems than it did. and if you look at my thread on "redoing" the machine, you will see what one has to do to "get it together". But it was a learning process that I accepted and expected. Had to "know" the machines innards.

I havn't gotten around to solving that. It hasn't really been a problem yet. I will most likely just go with some shorter belts.

Originally posted by Bloy2004
    Mysterious... I fully intended on going CNC with my machine but since I was a total greenhorn to this, I wanted to learn from setting it up myself...and achieve quality control from my end.
    Even the ballscrews ..I would have installed myself after seeing how it was done.
    I expected the machine to have more major problems than it did. and if you look at my thread on "redoing" the machine, you will see what one has to do to "get it together". But it was a learning process that I accepted and expected. Had to "know" the machines innards.
    Let me asure you that even though I never intended on ripping my machine apart, I have come nearly as far as you in just fixing the little issues I have had, including pulling the whole mill head apart to re cut the R8 Key which was too big. I have even recently had to completely dissasemble the mill's motor to chase down an annoying growl.

Originally posted by devinchi
    Let me asure you that even though I never intended on ripping my machine apart, I have come nearly as far as you in just fixing the little issues I have had, including pulling the whole mill head apart to re cut the R8 Key which was too big. I have even recently had to completely dissasemble the mill's motor to chase down an annoying growl.
    This is what amazes me.... the difference from machine to machine.
    Mine was surprizingly smooth and vibration free when I milled or ran the lathe. One of the first things I did when it was set up was to test the ability to "hog" as they say, using the four jaw chuck. geeesh. the machine just cranked away. BUT!.. I found that the compound that the quickchange tool post sits on was wimpy. After tightening the slide to suppress downward tool movement, the ability to move the slide was nil. and the little set screws used to adjust the related gibb were weak. I spent time at the hardware store getting hardened screws of more length.

I don't mind tweaking things, I actually enjoy tinkering. I especially like the lifetime warranty. Any other real problems or is it mostly setting everything up to accepatable specs?

Sorry for the delay.. got called away...
    One thing comes to mind that was a problem that entailed disassembling the lathe spindle gear box. From the getgo, the oil seal retainer just behind the spindle plate was hanging loose and the seal had been malformed. the only way to replace it was to remove the spindle. Shoptask promply sent a new seal and retainer. I would have been happier if they would have offered a rebate or something to offset the labor/time to replace the defective part. I didn't make a big deal out of it and added it to fully tweaking the gear box, adding gaskets and adjusting endplay, aligning gears.

I've got to add here though ...as a hobby for me.
    the main features of the Shoptask Bridgemill that finalized my decision to get it were ..
    1. the quadralift ....allows great flexibility in height of the mill while still keeping the spindle operating well within the head.
    2. Individual motors for lathe and mill
    3. Included table/stand easily moveable with proper casters.
    4. Integrated mechanisms for easy CNC installation.
    5. Driven tailstock.

Overall the experience has been "ok". I think that we got a "dud". When we speak to shoptask most of the problems that we have had are isolated to only 4-6 machines. The customer service is good as they have always tried to help out over the phone, but I am a bit annoyed with how often I am on the phone with them.

Yah! I'm sure John at shoptask was cringing many a time when I called.... but I made it a point to also call and offer nice things I've learned about the machine....now that it is functioning quite well.
    They HAVE made many changes over the last few years to the design and this can cause problems with any company especially when communication is overseas.

speaking of the tailstock...in prior post..
    I intend to modify that also...there is only one little setscrew holding the drive screw nut inside the barrel(spelling?) I intend to add a thick plate , a "cap", to the end of the barrel secured with at least three screws to absorb the pressure and retain the brass nut. I feel this would allow substantial increase of using the tailstock for heavy drilling. The setscrewed "collar/bushing" would be thinned down to allow for the round retaining plates displacement.

Well I finally broke down and ordered my shoptask, expected delivery time is at the end of April, but I will be in the process of moving about that time, so I probably won't be able to really play with it until June. I went ahead and ordered the ball screws. I do want to make it CNC, but would rather do it myself for cheaper. From what I hear the drive is at a 3:1 ratio. With this in mind are 500 oz motors more than enough power to run this thing?

Yes, I believe you will be fine