585,568 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > YCM NT-2000 SY Lathe Y-Axis Servo Motor makes "Howling" sound noise - help

YCM NT-2000 SY Lathe Y-Axis Servo Motor makes "Howling" sound noise - help

The lathe makes a "Howling" sound noise that I have originally thought had come from the way covers as the noise reverberates thru out the machine. The problem is that the noise continues when the machine is in the stopped state. I now believe the sound noise is emanating from the Y-Axis motor as I can feel it is warm and the coupling is vibrating.

The Y motor works with the X motor to produce the true Y movement so I hesitate messing with the gains and losing precision. The control is the Fanuc 32i. The machine is just over 1 year old. Any suggestions? Mechanical link? Has anyone tried "pulse suppression?

Re: YCM NT-2000 SY Lathe Y-Axis Servo Motor makes "Howling" sound noise - help

Oarsman,

Are those two motors (the x and y axis) the same? If so, I would suggest switching them and running the machine. If there is an issue with the motor, it will be clear after that. If your motor is the problem, we do motor repair all the time over here. Shoot me an email with your specs and problem and I'll forward them to my techs. They might have other opinions. [email protected]
    We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.

Quote Originally Posted by ies fixs View Post
    Oarsman,

Are those two motors (the x and y axis) the same? If so, I would suggest switching them and running the machine. If there is an issue with the motor, it will be clear after that. If your motor is the problem, we do motor repair all the time over here. Shoot me an email with your specs and problem and I'll forward them to my techs. They might have other opinions. [email protected]
    Hi Tyler,
    The X & Y are different motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Oarsman View Post
    Hi Tyler,
    The X & Y are different motors.
    Ahh. Okay. Could you email me a picture of the plate on the motor? A bad encoder or bearings could be the cause of your motor problem.
    [email protected]
    We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.