585,737 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain TNC 151 Display unreadable

I have a Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2 with a TNC151A controller. The machine is still fully functional except now the display is unreadable. The screen seems like the characters are shifted or shadowed. I was lucky enough to have another screen to test with, the problem is still there. I suspect the CLP processor card is the problem, but don't what to pull apart the TNC until I am sure this is the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? What is the fix.

Thanks

Re: Heidenhain TNC 151 Display unreadable

that's a weird one

I guess I would try cleaning all the connections

While one rarely has to go onside the box on these controls, it is not that scary
    take the cards out and re seat them, if that doesn't work.......

Hi Gus,

I have no issue with opening up the TNC. If I take the cards out wouldn't I lose the parameters? I do have a hard copy of the parameters which came with the mill but I never checked the actual parameters to the hard copy. I have only had it for a couple of weeks so I am a little disappointed that it has already failed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drh671 View Post
    Hi Gus,

I have no issue with opening up the TNC. If I take the cards out wouldn't I lose the parameters? I do have a hard copy of the parameters which came with the mill but I never checked the actual parameters to the hard copy. I have only had it for a couple of weeks so I am a little disappointed that it has already failed.

Thanks
    download the parameters

your screen is garbled, but you can still see what is going on, looks to be the homing screen up

if you have a manual [if not heidenhain website] carefully go through the procedure to down load the parameters.

basically the hard part is getting to the enter code screen to enter 95148, then ext, it will then be either enter or no enter

I can do it at my machine and record the exact keystrokes if you really need it

Hi Gus,

Yes it is the homing screen,I have a manual and know someone who has the same machine but with a TNC 155. I was going to go through the whole procedure with his machine and do exactly what you have offered to do. If there is a difference between the 150 and 155, I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks

I suspect if there is a difference it is the number of places you have to scroll down in the mod section to get to code number.

Hi Gus,

I have not had a chance to record the key strokes for a parameter backup as yet. I have been able to transfer all the programs from the TNC to my PC using TNCserver. For some reason the parameters won't transfer. When I am in the parameter screen I press EXT then NO ENT. It starts to send something, but when I check the directory there is nothing there. Is there 3 modes of data transfer ME, FE and EXT. Using TNCserver the programs transfer using FE. Do the parameters use the same method? or on of the other methods. I am trying to get over to the TNC155 this week. To test its parameter transfer. Thanks

Hi Gus,

I have not had a chance to record the key strokes for a parameter backup as yet. I have been able to transfer all the programs from the TNC to my PC using TNCserver. For some reason the parameters won't transfer. When I am in the parameter screen I press EXT then NO ENT. It starts to send something, but when I check the directory there is nothing there. Is there 3 modes of data transfer ME, FE and EXT. Using TNCserver the programs transfer using FE. Do the parameters use the same method? or on of the other methods. I am trying to get over to the TNC155 this week. To test its parameter transfer. Thanks
    it should be the same format

make sure you really are in the correct spot, really are at the parameter screen etc

make sure you wait long enough, it is a pretty big file

Hi Gus,

I have finally downloaded the parameters. It seems strange to me but to transmit the parameter to the PC the TNC server needed to be configured to ME mode. For the programs to be transmitted to the PC the TNC server required FE mode. My TNC151A doesn't seem to be able to select the "transfer mode" that is EXT, ME of FE like the TNC155. Not that I could see with my corrupted screen anyway. Now that I have the parameters it is time to open up the controller. Maybe in the next week or so. I will do has you say and clean all the connections. I don't like my chances but you never know.

For anyone who needs to download their parameters with a dead screen. These are the steps.

Start TNC server on your PC. Configure it for ME mode and set your baud rate. Mine was 9600.
    1.Power on machine.
    2.Wait about 45sec for Memory check.
    3. Press CE
    4. Press Enable drives.
    5. Press Cycle start. Quill will moves Z-
    6. Press Cycle start.Quill will moves Z+
    7. Press Cycle start.Table moves Y+
    8. Press Cycle start.Table moves X+
    With all the axis in home you can select manual, the table should now be able to move with joystick. This next part is to download the parameters.
    9. Press MOD
    10. Press up Arrow. This brings you to the code screen.
    11. Enter 95148.
    12 Press ENT. This brings up the parameter screen.
    13. Press EXT
    14. Press NO ENT
    You should see the parameter download to the TNC server.

Hi Gus,

I have finally downloaded the parameters. It seems strange to me but to transmit the parameter to the PC the TNC server needed to be configured to ME mode. For the programs to be transmitted to the PC the TNC server required FE mode. My TNC151A doesn't seem to be able to select the "transfer mode" that is EXT, ME of FE like the TNC155. Not that I could see with my corrupted screen anyway. Now that I have the parameters it is time to open up the controller. Maybe in the next week or so. I will do has you say and clean all the connections. I don't like my chances but you never know.
    It was successful?