585,702 active members*
4,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > MOD: X2 base to SX2 base for more Y extension. Do I need longer Y axis ballscrew?

MOD: X2 base to SX2 base for more Y extension. Do I need longer Y axis ballscrew?

I currently have the X2 mill with the cnc fusion kit on it. As we all know the X2 Mills Y axis is limited to about 4", without any rubber protectors. I need to do some 4.25 -5" OD diameter work so I purchased the SX2 base from LMS as it offers a longer Y axis and the rest of base are the same specs as the X2 base. So my question is, do I need a longer Y axis ball screw to fit on the longer SX2 base? Or can I add some sort of extension/connection to my current CNCFUSION kit with the shorter Y-axis ball screw? The CNC FUSION kits use 5/8" x .200 pitch ball screws. If I need a larger length Ball screw, what length would I need, and as I do not know much about the Ball nuts , what kind of ball nut would I need on the ball screw? Thank you for any help, as I have this job coming up within 2 weeks and I need to get everything set up and figured out so I can get the job up and running.

Re: MOD: X2 base to SX2 base for more Y extension. Do I need longer Y axis ballscrew?

Can't extend a short screw - well not successfully anyway. Phone Michael at CNCFusion and get the longer screw from him. If you're on a time crunch - go to the maker / supplier as getting it elsewhere and then having to get it machined up will likely double the two week window!

Re: MOD: X2 base to SX2 base for more Y extension. Do I need longer Y axis ballscrew?

And if you do happen to hear from CNC Fusion please let us know because there are a number of people waiting since February without hearing a word from them.

Do you by chance either know Michaels CNCFUSION phone #? Also does anyone know the exact specs on the ball screws? The CNCFUSION site say they are 5/8" with .200 pitch. , But Y axis?when I measure my ball screws on my X2 they seem to measure .630..? Does anyone know how long the y axis ball screw needs to be on the SX2 Base for the Y axis?

I had done some digging around online trying to see if anyone has heard from them and did come up with a phone number, but I haven't tried it yet to see if it was a good number or not. 1-281-999-1121 is what I had found. I am waiting for a kit still so I can't be any help with the ball screw specs.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiPSK View Post
    I had done some digging around online trying to see if anyone has heard from them and did come up with a phone number, but I haven't tried it yet to see if it was a good number or not. 1-281-999-1121 is what I had found. I am waiting for a kit still so I can't be any help with the ball screw specs.

Chris
    I tried call the number, but is a non working #

That's unfortunate. It seems there's no way to get in contact then. The last update to their Facebook page was March 8th and otherwise it's just people trying to get order updates or saying they've gotten PayPal refunds since they haven't heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiPSK View Post
    That's unfortunate. It seems there's no way to get in contact then. The last update to their Facebook page was March 8th and otherwise it's just people trying to get order updates or saying they've gotten PayPal refunds since they haven't heard anything.
    Yeah that's very unfortunate. I called LMS to ask about the SX2 longer base lead screw measures. It measures a total of 10" with the screw/thread part measuring 7". So I assume that I would need the same length ball screw correct? I also notice on cnc fusion they say they use 5/8" Ball screws with .200 pitch. Is 5/8"= .631? I thought it was .625, but I see 5/8" ball screws listed at .631 on other ball scres sites . Also is a .200 pitch the same as a.200 lead?

16mm is .62992 inches.

Don

So why do some places list 5/8" ball screws as .631 ?