585,760 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Ordering from China... Are there hidden fees, taxes, what to watch out for?

Ordering from China... Are there hidden fees, taxes, what to watch out for?

I see lots of people buy ball screw and linear rail sets from Asia. There seems to be decent prices and reliable vendors but I hesitate when I read about being responsible for import taxes and fees. Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect?
    Thanks

Re: Ordering from China... Are there hidden fees, taxes, what to watch out for?

Can't tell you with the states but in UK you can get caught for VAT and Duty and a £12 handling charge by carrier on anything over £15 if your not savvy, although there are plenty of chinese sellers etc on aliexpress and eBay that ship from Europe and USA to save that problem last one I used for two set of Rails and screws was Rattm on aliexpress have a look around for shipping from USA seems to be more than the UK when I look a little more expensive but no duties tax and handling charges to worry about

As I understand it, US law has 3 categories to process import shipments, based on declared value:
    1. under $200: there is no duty or delay -- these sail right through.
    2. between $200 and $2000: subject to import duty and state tax, and I think a ~4 week processing delay at customs.
    3. Over $2000: subject to import duty and state tax, and a formal process is needed with paperwork, maybe a customs broker.

The % duty depends on on the "Harmonized Code" that the items fall into -- the shipper states this on the declaration slip on the package, but not necessarily correctly. Typically the US import duty is between 2% and 10% for ebay type items. I'm not sure what code ballscrews and linear rails fall into, maybe:
    linear bearing: https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=linear%20bearing --> 8482.10.5012 --> 9% duty
    ball screw: https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=ball%20screw --> 8483.40.80.00 --> 3.8% duty

In practice, I've found Asian ebay vendors tend to declare the value lower than actual, often a lot lower.

More links:
    Internet Purchases | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...rough-the-mail
    David Malicky

Aside from the standard 3% import duty on CNC machinery I would recommend using a freight broker. I've read some horror stories with improper paper work filed by individuals who are trying to save extra money. Not worth the headache unless you entirely understand the import game.

I should also note if the value of your import exceeds 25K there is an extra processing fee of 0.35 % of the total value with a min. Of 25.00 and a maximum of 485.00

Now if we're talking small items air freight works best and shipping times from China are relatively fast

Hope that helps,

Sean

I have always cleared my own customs and bypassed the broker, all the instructions and forms B3 etc are on line, you can even download the commodity code required for the item, pick one with low or no duty!!
    For e.g. a lathe for turning brake rotors has a duty, a normal bench lathe none!
    Here in Canada, a CBSA agent will walk you through your first B3 entry, then you are on your own.
    If I get a UPS delivery and they want Brokerage fee, I tell them to take it back to the wharehouse and I will clear it myself, I pick the paper work up and take it to customs and clear for nothing.
    The problem is that many brokerage houses do not know anything about machinery and just pick a commodity number they think is good according to the invoice description.
    Al..
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

in usa DHL pass trough on custom...

of course you have fees..

custom fee
    possible X-ray fee
    in case larger items, unloading fee where entering in usa...
    if not DHL the carrier then plus bonded warehouse fee..

with DHL you can get even a 20K item within 4-5 days from hong kong
    also if not DHL then with other companies you need to hire custom broker..

so first call in the state cbp ... you can find it, as type in google ""cbp your state""

so, DHL is costly but takes off a lot of headache..

================================================== =======

just for the record, the actual custom fee so little that really neglectible compared with other fees... for me after 5K declared value it was 125 as I remember..

In the city I am in, if you do not have a broker, the freight company will either bring it in to the Customs bonded warehouse or to their own, if they have one.
    I have yet to pay any bonded warehouse fee. The only tax is the federal tax for the province you are in.
    Al.

Albert E.

we got several led signs, and dhl told us we don't have to hire broker, also they don't take to warehouse..

they delivered to ""doorstep""

you don't declare ""high tech computerized equipment... you declare wood surfacing machine, or you declare woodcarving machine, engraver...
    youre an individual youre not a company...
    you import for personal entertaining...

atlanta GA

================================================== =====================
    the video is my friend machine after arriving a couple of week
    im not sure how much it was, but can happen it was under 5K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3d-cVuDxjI

so you might thinking buying a machine instead components...

plus the domestic fees , like I listed above.. for me, in 2012 the shipping from china to usa was 800, from Atlanta to 150 mile was 500 (as a friendly price)

Either way it pays to look up the commodity number on the customs web site and chose an applicable one where the import tax is low or tax free, and ensure the shipper lists this on their commercial invoice, many omit to do this.
    If the commodity number is not on the invoice, the broker has to come up with the number and they do not spend a lot of time trying to find the applicable Comm. No.
    As a last resort, if you find that the import has been wrongly classified and you have paid too high a import tax, there is a form you can down load and apply for the refund.
    Al.

Albert E.

Dear,

If you buy a little parts from China.Such as,2 pcs of rail and 2pcs of ball screw.You dont need to pay any fees in your there.Only pay the costs to Supplier,then it will be ok.

Any help,please feel free to contact with [email protected] or [email protected] .

we are professional exporting cnc router,laser machine,ETC.So about this export,I can give you some support.