584,817 active members*
5,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of Use this forum for SkyFire discussions?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

4 33.33%

Thread: SkyFireCNC

Page 2 of 2 12

Re: SkyFireCNC

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Who in their right mind would try to learn g-code by reading a forum???

Buy this book and work your way through it, it will teach you everything you need to know:

Peter Smid CNC Programming Handbook

It's all in one place, is a great reference book even after you gain a functional understanding of g-code.
    Hi, thanks for the info........I already have a DVD called CNC SECRETS REVEALED.......130 + pages in PDF format on all aspects of CNC programming and use from the ground up.

I've gained a lot of valuable info from the forum so it's just another learning experience.

The G code is relatively easy once you understand the sequence and disciplines that must be adhered to........at least I can make the mill go from A to B and round in circles without wondering what is happening.

If I need a large G code sequence for a complicated work piece there is no way I'd hand write it......that would suggest a bought in program or a probed one......whatever it takes.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    If I need a large G code sequence for a complicated work piece there is no way I'd hand write it......that would suggest a bought in program or a probed one.....
    Or you could do what EVERYONE! else does, and get CAD/CAM software.

News flash: probably less than 0.01% of cnc routines come from probing.

95% of cnc routines comes from CAD/CAM (or from on-machine conversational type programming, but that is a topic for another day).

g-code knowledge is necessary so you can understand what the CAM spits out.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Well, I have Fusion 360 which I'm also learning, but very slowly as other things are taking the time, like house internal renos..

Problem with Cad is you have to draw it up first and then generate the CAM coding......unless I get into complicated structures, hand coding for the present is going to see me fine.

As far as probing is concerned, I think that method will only be of use if I have a pattern to go from.........it was a consideration at the beginning of the G code learning process that could give me a 3D output....if that's the term..... for multi curved profiles away from the flat format, and a 4th axis is part of that plan too.

It's not rocket science, and neither is knitting with plain and purl patterns, but you have to learn the moves to do either and having got the hang of what G code can do the rest is sure to come eventually.
    Ian.

Ian fusion is one of the fasted program at doing cam, you have been offered free help with fusion, some of the people on here are older than you and learen't fusion, there is no need to write your code at all to cut a circle writing the code will be slower than doing it in fusion and the code will be better than what you can write, you have a big boy's toy use the programs to make it fly.

also Peter Smid CNC Programming Handbook is a book the big boys use.

all you need to know is what M and G codes do that's it. and you need to start your own post
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL.....I doubt whether the "big boys" are hand writing G code like me for any of their work pieces....if they are they're not big boys.

The big boys are heavily into production with time saving practices, exotic tooling and throw away carbide, whereas I'm just going to make small one off pieces when the time comes, so hand written G code should do the trick......anyway, I'll need to have a good knowledge of the code for any moves, large or small, that the mill needs to make, purely to get the axes to move.

BTW.......one does not start a thread of their own, that would be a bit egotistical........if you have a problem then a thread relating to it is the way to go, but a thread, probably titled "My Skyfire SVM-0 mill experiences" would be the most boring collection of posts you could get.

A blow by blow event of learning G code and making axes move is sure to make everyone go to sleep......eventually some parts will be made but by that time the audience will have gone home..........and important questions would just fall on deaf ears if any....LOL

From what I've seen, most of the posters on here are mainly interested in making parts to make money.........hand writing G code will make you happy but it won't make you rich......that's where I'm at.
    Ian.

In Thema Factory wehre i geht my maschines from they Do handwrite all the gcode because ist ist depending ob the Parts so a Plate with a lot of Drill and Threads is fast Programmed and For CAD Cam you Need the Infrastructure and it Needs to Pay off next Time you run Same Pierce just Load the gcode

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Tkamsker I do a lot of 2.5D and 3D so writing na beggar that, hole and threading yer caned cycles work well for that same as planing the top of a bit material, slots. yer they are fine, but if you wont to go flat out like at the limit of a machine HSM is the way to go, but yes $100,000 to $1000000 machines with $10,000 + A year cam. or fusion360 $300 or $1200 a year.

small scale your machine, tormach so on

Ian the big boys on something still use caned-cycles for some simple stuff what will have 5 to 6 lines of code and will run 24/7. and they will learn from the big boys book and the fanic manual.

but you can't do all of them with Mach 3, Mach 4 yes most. you will need years to learn to write code properly.

so for a hobbyist it just a lot easier to use a good cad/cam program like fusion360 to do your work, there are a lot of things out there that will make life easier for you but they are models not bits of code but if you still wont to do everything in Gcode go for it.

what's wrong with a thread about your machine it will help sale them or is it that bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hab82 View Post
    Actually that 3700 response thread is the problem that keyed this initiative. It has bountiful information hidden by about 100 to one ratio of noise.
    And so it begins, The noise shows up and you all take the bait and fertilize the troll! Haha

true

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    And so it begins, The noise shows up and you all take the bait and fertilize the troll! Haha
    +1

??? I thought the troll was the fertilizer ????

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    Tkamsker I do a lot of 2.5D and 3D so writing na beggar that, hole and threading yer caned cycles work well for that same as planing the top of a bit material, slots. yer they are fine, but if you wont to go flat out like at the limit of a machine HSM is the way to go, but yes $100,000 to $1000000 machines with $10,000 + A year cam. or fusion360 $300 or $1200 a year.

small scale your machine, tormach so on

Ian the big boys on something still use caned-cycles for some simple stuff what will have 5 to 6 lines of code and will run 24/7. and they will learn from the big boys book and the fanic manual.

but you can't do all of them with Mach 3, Mach 4 yes most. you will need years to learn to write code properly.

so for a hobbyist it just a lot easier to use a good cad/cam program like fusion360 to do your work, there are a lot of things out there that will make life easier for you but they are models not bits of code but if you still wont to do everything in Gcode go for it.

what's wrong with a thread about your machine it will help sale them or is it that bad.
    Dan.....we already had a thread about the machine from beginning to end that covered all aspects of the build and eventually it running.....what more could be said......the mill is running on UTUBE......the mods saw fit to close the thread, so that's it.

For future reference any problems that occur will no doubt be aired somewhere here for those with the mill that can speak with knowledge as opposed to just guesswork.

Working with G code, CAD/CAM programs, cutters and materials is food for a different thread altogether, totally not allied to the SVM-0 mill.....that I have.
    Ian.

-------------------I'm still waiting for Magnetic thinga ma jig..............................................

Working with G code, CAD/CAM programs, cutters and materials is food for a different thread altogether, totally not allied to the SVM-0 mill.....that I have.
    Ian.
    But you should start a thread about your machine and what you have done to "improve" or have done with it. Many here are interested. I'm not joking.
    From beginning to end, remember?
    For some reason you refuse to update us on any progress towards the power tool release you came up with. I need this......................... and I'm not the only one.

Waiting patiently sucks.

But geee Batman.....everyone says the dang thing won't work.......heh heh it seemed so simple even a moron could have built one.....a few magnets and a piece of steel plate....no need for a whole thread just to show a gimmik like that.
    Ian.

Page 2 of 2 12