584,846 active members*
4,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of Use this forum for SkyFire discussions?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

4 33.33%

Thread: SkyFireCNC

Page 1 of 2 12

SkyFireCNC

Until we can officially have a SkyFire CNC forum, I suggest we post SkyFire threads here. Why you ask? The Mikinimech 1610L is no longer in production. The closest Machine to it is the SkyFire SVM-2 series. The SVM-2 components can be used to upgrade the 1610L.

SkyFire needs a ready place where New Threads can be collected and readily found. The topics covered in those threads in most cases are equally apropos to the Mikini machines.

My only connection to SkyFire is that I have ordered an SVM 2 P1A. By email I have contacted David, Ren and Jan. By phone I have talked to Jan Bos. Jan Bos is the US distributor. According to Jan, they have tried unsuccessfully to get any CNCZone admin to address their requests to start a SkyFire forum, so I am trying to take the Bull by the horns.

Just some notes from my recent contacts with Jan Bos, Ren Defeng recently became a father (around the 1st of April). Jan was in China at that time. He has since returned stateside since the beginning of this week.

Re: SkyFireCNC

maybe you should check out this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...forum-298.html

Actually that 3700 response thread is the problem that keyed this initiative. It has bountiful information hidden by about 100 to one ratio of noise.

hab82 ask if you can be the mod for it as well
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why would you want me to be a moderator for it?

your idea and you know what the problem is

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi.....why not just post your inquiries in the vertical mill forum and include Skyfire in the thread titles so anyone can see what your aiming at.......that's where the now defunct Skyfire thread was/is.......that way it would cover the range of Skyfire mills instead of just one or two machines.

The previous now defunct Skyfire mill build thread originated to show the build program for the SVM-0 but got side swiped massively with the SVM-1 and 2 mill discussion and the peripherals that can only apply to those mills

With hind sight it was probably a blessing in disguise that the mods closed the thread as it was drifting away from the original theme that started it.

Now, like the Phoenix rising, a new breath can be injected in the discussions provided the mods do their job and police the thread to ensure it stays on track to the thread title.

Quite frankly I could bail out at this point as I've got what I want and a mill is a mill for all that, but as problems arise in other peoples acquisitions, it's a comfort for them to know they're not alone when the sh!t hits the fan.....specifically not of your own doing..... and China is so far away.
    Ian.

"Hi.....why not just post your inquiries in the vertical mill forum and include Skyfire in the thread titles so anyone can see what your aiming at.......that's where the now defunct Skyfire thread was/is.......that way it would cover the range of Skyfire mills instead of just one or two machines."

I certainly see no advantage to posting in the Vertical mills subforum than to this one. You can just as easily post a SVM-0 thread on this forum as you can a SVM-1 thread or the SVM-2. The originator of this (MikiniMech) forum was an active participant of the now defunct Skyfire mill build thread, and has encouraged me in this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi.....why not just post your inquiries in the vertical mill forum and include Skyfire in the thread titles so anyone can see what your aiming at.
    Because a significant percentage of the skyfire machines apparently is Mikini parts.

So it makes sense to post to a forum where a lot of knowledge concerning Mikini machine operations and repairs already exists.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Well, if I was looking for info on a Skyfire product I certainly would not be looking for Mikini in my search endeavours.......who ever heard of a Mikini if they never got involved with one.

I advocated using the vertical mill forum as the host for the thread as the mills in question are basic vertical mills and so that seems logical to be the starting point as the forum is already catered for and just needs the title of the thread with Skyfire in it.

Perhaps there is an air of uniqueness in having a separate forum just for this product, but to my mind that is being a bit high and mighty when all we're thinking of are topics arising from problem solving on a common or garden vertical mill,

Most of the items that make the Skyfire products what they are, originate off the shelf, discounting the actual machined castings and electronics that are proprietary products and are unique to that machine.

My choice would have to be.....stay with the vertical mill forum as it's already there and well catered for, and add the Skyfire word in any new thread to narrow down the search.
    Ian.

Ian
    This is the forum where I first learned about SkyFire CNC. When I knew what to look for, I simply searched for SkyFire. You are more than welcome to look where you want, but for me I will stay with this forum. I think it is much closer to my needs than the general vertical mill forum. How many mills have you built? This is my third. The Mikinimech and now Skyfire were/are the closest target to my desires. What is unique, castings, linear rails, willingness to provide about anything we want.

Hubert

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Because a significant percentage of the skyfire machines apparently is Mikini parts.

So it makes sense to post to a forum where a lot of knowledge concerning Mikini machine operations and repairs already exists.
    Surely you mean they WERE Mikini parts before they evaporated from the scene as a product line, which as far as I have read were plagued by electronic issues and mismanagement, and therefore have no bearing on any SVM derivative, even if the paint has been over painted a different colour........it's what went into the build for the mikini that made it Mikini and not an SVM whatever.

Nobody is going to consider a Mikini repair as valid for an SVM product, unless the basic infrastructure is faulty and both models are still using the same parts.

If the SVM-1 and 2 have the same problems that the Mikini has, you can bet your boots the SVM-1 and 2 will die the same death ........perhaps exacerbated by the long delivery times too.

BTW, I have the SVM-0 mill and in no stretch of the imagination would I be looking for Mikini help for this mill.
    Ian.

Ian start a SVM 0 forum then

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Who am I to blow against the wind.......the opinion seems to be heavily in favour of siding with the Mikini forum.

That's OK if you have a Mikini look alike with the same old problems.

I would have thought Defeng would want to distance himself from the Mikini name anyway, otherwise he would have pressed on with the Mikini Mk2 instead of going for a complete name change.

As far as the SVM-0 is concerned, those who need help will no doubt post a thread with Skyfire references....the SVM-0 is totally different to the Mikini anyway, so soliciting help from a Mikini look alike owner is like asking a Jew boy what he thinks of bacon burgers.....LOL.

I think all that has been said regarding the SVM-0 has been said as it's now come of age and is out in the field doing it's thing, so no sense in raking up old embers to get a new slant on the subject.

BTW........I wouldn't dream of "advising" anyone to buy an SVM-0, even though I'm happy with mine, as I have been accused of misleading certain individuals to buy one and who subsequently bought into the SVM-1 or 2 program and had problems unique to those mills.
    Ian.

BTW, I have the SVM-0 mill and in no stretch of the imagination would I be looking for Mikini help for this mill.
    The point of the forum is that mikini owners already here with a machine that is 80% or more the same parts have already had some of the problems that new sky fire owners are having, and have suggestions for what to do.

But I would suggest you go back to the "uncategorized metalworking machines forum" and ask for help there....

As far as the SVM-0 is concerned, those who need help will no doubt post a thread with Skyfire references....the SVM-0 is totally different to the Mikini anyway, so soliciting help from a Mikini look alike owner is like asking [DELETED]
    Haven't you figured out by now that Defeng designed/built the mikini, and it was imported and relabelled by mikinimech? Same dude designed and built your SVM-0. Hopefully he is getting better at it.... You think it was just coincidence that he has a dozen bikini casting available to built from, and built an enclosure on the mill identical to the mikini?

Mikini went out of business because they imported an immature product and their chinese vendor seems to have left them hanging in the breeze without a hardware solution that would make the machines work.
    Tim

......"Mikini went out of business because"...........and relabeled .....from what product line????.....you know that for an indisputable absolute fact???........I wasn't aware that Defeng was marketing a complete and ready to go mill previously under another name that Mikini imported and then relabeled "as their product"

I have to ask in what form and material content was the No Name mill imported to be reworked extensively so that a badge could relate to a New product......basic machined castings?.......without electronics?.....pity they (Mikini) didn't have the ability to carry it through to a viable conclusion.

I don't see any reference to the Mikini being a total scrap heap that needed redesigning and remachining to get it to a suitable basis for any CNC capability.

I wonder what Defeng would say about that as he had a different story and that is coming straight from the horses mouth.

I don't go a bundle on conspiracy theories and rumour mongering, even if it does make good reading......at the end of the day all you're left with is misinformation and a guy called Superman because he wears his underwear on the outside.

All I can say is if Defeng is in the race to win the accolade for pure design and affordability in one nut shell, then by all that is credible he's won it.

I can't say anything about the SVM-1 or 2 as they're in a different room, but as Defeng DID design AND make the SVM-0.......from the ground up...... then I expect he's definitely got better at it.
    Ian.

Ian read what people say and stop biting, defeng still has years old back orders not done yes he is in a races if he does not get his arse into gear by, by

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You're possible quite right, I still have some items undelivered that were left out from the original order with other items added to it, but as Defeng has had, to my knowledge, a major upheaval and a second rationalisation move to "improve" his production schedules, and an addition to the family, we can but wait to see if the grand plan eventuates or the bite from the cake is going to choke him.

It will be interesting to see where the Skyfire thread lands eventually.........browsing through the many threads on the Mikini forum to find some reference to a Skyfire product is not my idea of a way to pass an hour or two.

On that score, who in his right mind would go onto the Mikini forum and browse the many threads to see if one has hints and tips comparable in some way to an SVM that apply to him......and then you have to read each post in case the info is posted in an obscure format...........I tried that with the Gcode forum and spent more time browsing the threads than gaining info.
    Ian.

On that score, who in his right mind would go onto the Mikini forum and browse the many threads to see if one has hints and tips comparable in some way to an SVM that apply to him.......I tried that with the Gcode forum and spent more time browsing the threads than gaining info.
    Ian.
    Who in their right mind would try to learn g-code by reading a forum???

Buy this book and work your way through it, it will teach you everything you need to know:

Peter Smid CNC Programming Handbook

It's all in one place, is a great reference book even after you gain a functional understanding of g-code.
    Tim

.....at the end of the day all you're left with is misinformation and a guy called Superman because he wears his underwear on the outside.
    Pot, meet kettle...

You sure know how to crap up a thread... You'll likely get this one closed too.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Page 1 of 2 12