586,024 active members*
4,176 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Another PRO4896 Begins...

Hi All... I am starting my build thread so I would stop hijacking bonesbr549's thread

Like bonesbr549 before me I want to thank and praise the team at CNCrouterparts for the excellent support. Cory's rapid response to my inquiries was shockingly refreshing. The time from order shipment was astonishingly brief.

I recently received my UPS tracking numbers and am anxiously awaiting the delivery. It will be a PRO4896 as the title says with all bells and whistles. NEMA 34 and the electronics to support an eventual 4th access.

I am making the transition from traditional woodworking to CNC. My day job is software engineering so I figured I'd combine my passions.

Looking forward to sharing my successes and fails as I set down this path.

Dave

Re: Another PRO4896 Begins...

Cool looking forward to following your progress. I'm in IT management and a former programmer. It will be a blast.

Thanks Bones... What did you do for end mills? I bought a few different ones to play with along with a spoil board flattener.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCNCnewb View Post
    Thanks Bones... What did you do for end mills? I bought a few different ones to play with along with a spoil board flattener.
    ha, i've not got that far. I figure to start with the bits i have but do want to get some. what did you get and where?

Quote Originally Posted by bonesbr549 View Post
    ha, i've not got that far. I figure to start with the bits i have but do want to get some. what did you get and where?
    I went to toolstoday.com and picked up these...free shipping and 10% off on your first order. I'm also planning to pick up a bunch of less expensive bits to learn with.

Amana Tool AMS-134 8-Pc CNC General Purpose 1/4 Inch SHK Router Bit Set
    SKU: AMS-134

Amana Tool RC-2248 CNC Spoilboard Surfacing & Rabbeting Flycutter 1-1/2 D x 15/32 (12mm) CH x 1/4 Inch SHK Insert Router Bit
    SKU: RC-2248

Amana Tool AMS-209 In-Groove 8 Piece Engraving Router Bit Set, 1/2 Inch SHK Tool Body with Seven Solid Carbide Insert Knives
    SKU: AMS-209

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

well got a ton done today. Got the gantry up and even mounted the z & x axis motors. I wanted to get a quick "see something happen" plugged up the electronics loaded the xml file from the website, and nothing. I can tell power is getting to the motor but jogging the z moves it on the screen but nadda. Sure i'm doing something wrong.

When I plugged up the electronic cabinet, the disable switch fell out in my hand. I put it back together and back in, but don't know if thats boogered something up. I'm going to investigate if I can do any kind of diagnostic to see whats going on. Other than the fan going and the green lights on the electric cant' tell whats on or not.

Shame is I've got to leave town tomorrow for a week on business. Bummer.

These are what I got initially just to work with.

Pleas delete this entry it was meant for my thread. Sorry man!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pics of the bits. I'm close to needing them.

No problem feel free... glad to see your progress....

Happy to report UPS is delivering 12 boxes tomorrow...a day early...I don't think the 8020 is amongst it but the steel legs should be...So that will keep me busy for a bit.

Cool read for your pics!

Just received the 8020 and wow Bones you were right... I thought aluminum was light I also thought this note was interesting and certainly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0321.jpg  

Had a little glitch with the leg kit and need to wait for some additional hardware. Give me time to change the 15a 220v receptacle out for the 20a 220v I need for the electronics. Plus clean up the shop a bit more.

All the extrusions are laid out and staged.

I also picked up a couple sheets of Trupan ultralight MDF for my Spoilboard and plan to find some suitable for the vacuum plenum. Was thinking HDPE but at over 300 for a 4x8 sheet I might need to reconsider and just seal up some regular MDF.

Cool pics. Good luck on the build. Mine's done and I'm moving into the doing. Keep the pic's coming.

Had a little time this week and today and got the base pretty much done... just squaring up and leveling...
    Started today like this...

Ended the day like this...

Love my parallel clamps for squaring and holding the cross members flush with the sides... Figured that out after doing three of them the hard way...Also love my new level that beeps when you're level...make it so easy for my old knees.

Not sure if I did this right but, I placed where the large and small extrusions meet over the middle leg for support. Also I noticed that some of the extrusions were threaded and some were not... I just happened to pick the ones for my end pieces that were not

Anyway done for the day as it's family time. Hope to get a few hours in tomorrow before I have to go out of town on travel until Thursday.

cool progress. Remember only two of those shorties are tapped.. (don't ask me how i know)

The odds were against me picking the 2 that were tapped and I'm not about to disassemble it to use them...I've got a tap so no worries... in fact bought it prior to the build based on comments here...haha

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCNCnewb View Post
    The odds were against me picking the 2 that were tapped and I'm not about to disassemble it to use them...I've got a tap so no worries... in fact bought it prior to the build based on comments here...haha

yea try flipping them assuming the other ends were tapped to find out oopsie nope. Good choice, and I still tapped the suckers

I love stuff that you only learn once and then never have the chance to learn from the lesson

Oh I just realized I have to disassemble anyway. After reading the instructions for the revised kit I found l left out the splices that go between the long and short extrusions. I had placed the intersection of the extrusions over the middle legs thinking that would provide better support. Guess I missed that in the instructions.

Oh I found it in a picture on the first page of the instructions...

Is there a set of instructions as complete as the one that is available for the new revision... ? I must have missed where it said to use those splices in the old build. Oh well I wondered what those splices were for ...now I do hahahaha

So 6 hours down the drain...more or less.

Page 1 of 3 123