584,879 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BOBCAD & Nesting for a waterjet.
Page 1 of 2 12

BOBCAD & Nesting for a waterjet.

I just purchased BOBCAD V28 for a Waterjet. The rep told me it would tab objects together like bridges. After getting the software in house I realized it doesn't have this functionality and I would warn anyone not to buy BOBCAM for Nesting for use with a waterjet. It is incapable of bridging parts together (a basic need for cutting multiple parts on a waterjet. They have also refused any refund and say they are transcribing all the sales call to go over what was promised (after ignoring my request for a refund after several weeks). My advice stay away and don't make my mistake. There are better packages out there including Fastcam/nest and Cutleader.

Quote Originally Posted by cambridgecnc View Post
    I just purchased BOBCAD V28 for a Waterjet. The rep told me it would tab objects together like bridges. After getting the software in house I realized it doesn't have this functionality and I would warn anyone not to buy BOBCAM for Nesting for use with a waterjet. It is incapable of bridging parts together (a basic need for cutting multiple parts on a waterjet. They have also refused any refund and say they are transcribing all the sales call to go over what was promised (after ignoring my request for a refund after several weeks). My advice stay away and don't make my mistake. There are better packages out there including Fastcam/nest and Cutleader.
    BobCad doesnt have tabing? That's news to me! Boy, thanks for letting us know it doesnt do tabing. I'll have to rethink this whole idea that tabs are little part holds on profile cuts that can be knocked out after the part is done.

Re: BOBCAD & Nesting for a waterjet.

A couple of things @cambridgecnc:

BobCAD does do tabs, I use them frequently. Nesting is a completely different thing. There is a Nesting add-on. Is that what you are referring to? I don't have this add-on but reading the specs and seeing examples it looks like it should work fine. If on the other hand you were talking about manually nesting parts with tabs in BobCAD/CAM that does indeed work. I just played out a 2' x 3' aluminum sheet to have laser cut.
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

I have Bobcad v27 nesting add-on. And for that version and previous, you needed it to do tabs.
    V28 added the feature in the 2d profiling. A huge bump for it.

https://youtu.be/by9wp-9Akp8

i think they also added custom form tooling also. Another huge bump.

The only thing i can figure that the op is confused about is if he's looking for the "CAD" to create tabs in geometry. As opposed to it being a CAM operation

The good packages will let you load in disparate parts and connect them via each other (cad) and than export a toolpath (cam). Bobcad will let you load them in but it will not bridge the parts together

QUOTE=BurrMan;1869614]I have Bobcad v27 nesting add-on. And for that version and previous, you needed it to do tabs.
    V28 added the feature in the 2d profiling. A huge bump for it.

https://youtu.be/by9wp-9Akp8

It's good for joining parts to each other if you have a CNC mill
    But for Waterjet it will not automatically connect disparate parts to one another with a user selected bridge width. Fastcam , pronest. Almacam, and cutleader do this. Bobcam will not

i think they also added custom form tooling also. Another huge bump.

The only thing i can figure that the op is confused about is if he's looking for the "CAD" to create tabs in geometry. As opposed to it being a CAM operation[/QUOTE]

BOBCAD IS A REAL BIG SH*T

I work whit that couple years ago

Quote Originally Posted by actarus69 View Post
    BOBCAD IS A REAL BIG SH*T

I work whit that couple years ago

whit whta ?

From what I have been able to gather in this thread, the problem is that you aren't communicating what exactly you expect the software to do. Take that back to your conversation with the sales rep, and I can see how you were asking about one thing and that what they said Bobcad does didn't match because you weren't talking in terms that were the same. Bobcad does tab parts together just fine, but it does not do it exactly the way I suspect you wanted it done. It would be difficult to blame the sales rep for not understanding your needs better given that in this thread you have yet to describe what you need in a way that anyone here completely understands.

Regardless of the software that you end up buying eventually which does what you need, you should spend time demoing the software enough to know it addresses everything as you want prior to purchase. I don't feel too sorry for you for the simple fact that Bobcad will output code for 5 days without limitation (in fact you have every option available including multiaxis). It also functions in a demo mode that won't output code for as long as you want to continue trying it out. You could literally spend a year learning Bobcad prior to purchase if you wanted, but for whatever reason it seems that impulse buying of CAM software happens pretty frequently based on other threads people start here in the forum complaining about what Bobcad will or will not do for their specific needs. Given that you can try Bobcad for such an extended period before you buy, I just don't understand how anyone wouldn't take the time to know what the software does before paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cambridgecnc View Post
    The good packages will let you load in disparate parts and connect them via each other (cad) and than export a toolpath (cam). Bobcad will let you load them in but it will not bridge the parts together

If anyone is interested BobCAD released last week V28 SP3 Build 2067 which has major enhancements speciifically for the Nesting add on, see the attached Release Notes .pdf file.

Attachment 319486

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks Rob,
    That's an interesting read, there are still a lot of fixes going on alongside the enhancements, and my V28 demo is once again out of date!
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Thanks Rob,
    That's an interesting read, there are still a lot of fixes going on alongside the enhancements, and my V28 demo is once again out of date!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Time to get it bought then eh ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Time to get it bought then eh ? ?
    Rob,
    A purchase is definitely on the cards but as I'm not a fan of the support/fix policy and the associated "launch it buggy as an anthill and fix it later for support subscribers only" development cycle, I plan to buy 28 near end of life.
    By chance I bought V25 in the big sales push just before V26 launch and hindsight has shown this to have been fortuitous, I'm planning to buy V28 as close to V29 launch as possible, that way I'll get most of the fixes that are made to V28 and will have the benefit of a mature product,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    If anyone is interested BobCAD released last week V28 SP3 Build 2067 which has major enhancements speciifically for the Nesting add on, see the attached Release Notes .pdf file.

Attachment 319486

Regards
    Rob
    And how do you know about that ?
    No clue on website
    How do you get update ?
    No clue on website

Is this an update only for Nesting ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    And how do you know about that ?
    No clue on website
    How do you get update ?
    No clue on website

Is this an update only for Nesting ?
    Hi James

You need to have a support subscription to access the update download area, the lowest price is $300 which for most may seem a lot, however as this is the second update (SP2 Build 1955 in January) then it isn`t really a huge deal for us here as we now have 4 seats, 2 different machining locations, 1 on a Laptop and 1 at my Home so that works out at a very reasonable $37.50 US (About £25.50 GBP) per update per seat

Yes, of course it can seem a lot for the single user but it is a lot cheaper than most other CAD or Cad-CAM softwares and I fully agree with Nick (magicniner) that for folks on a single seat the best way is to buy near the "end of life" of a specific Version, that way getting the latest updates at the time of purchase, having said that jumping ahead to the next Version can also be a good way t go, all about getting the timing right

In answer to your question is it only for Nesting the answer is no, it is predominantly for Nesting but if you scroll down the Release Notes .pdf file you will find the CAD Enhancements and fixes followed by the CAM Enhancements and fixes near the bottom, quite a lot in it, but read through it and make your own judgement, not for me to say one way or another

Regards
    Rob

Rob,I paid the Ransom for a year when I bought it

You would think I would get an E-Mail telling me about an update

I go to website and get thrown in circles

Must be my responsibility to call support and ask if any updates are available and then ask for a link ???????????>

I just go to bobcadsupport.com and login and can then access it all, just click on the "Software Updates" tab, very easy, don`t know why you aregoing in circles

Because their website is still not the best website by far

Very unimpressive

Thanks for the heads up,,guess I will call and ask for a link,,,it is absolutely un-accessible for me,,,,must be a bug,eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Rob,I paid the Ransom for a year when I bought it

You would think I would get an E-Mail telling me about an update

I go to website and get thrown in circles

Must be my responsibility to call support and ask if any updates are available and then ask for a link ???????????>
    Jr,

If you look at your BobCAD Live toolbar, it will announce when an update or new version is released. There is no need to contact support to get this information.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    If you look at your BobCAD Live toolbar.
    Sean,
    I think that's the first screen-hogging feature to get filed under B1N after setup ;-)

- Nick

Nick,

What I recommend to people is if they close it, to just enable it from time to time to see if something was released. Even when you close the toolbar, it still updates each time you open the software. So you can just open it, take a look to see if anything came out, and then close it until the next time you want take a look.

Page 1 of 2 12