586,000 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Metal CNC Milling Machine

I am looking to build a Mini CNC Milling Machine or designing metal plates. I can get Machine parts from here local except the motors and router. Does anybody give e a tutorial and what parts do I need for building a mini cnc milling.
    I am looking to build around 1 foot area or some more and should carry a weight of nearly 10 kgs if possible. Please advice or refer tk me a thread where I can get full details.
    suresh

Re: Metal CNC Milling Machine

This is a current thread that shows the evolution of a solid little mill: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ing-large.html
    Andrew Werby
    Website

If you want to build one relatively easy with mostly off the shelf parts, that pretty much aligns itself and requires little post machining, check this out

DIY CNC Router Build; Fixed Gantry, Steel - Wade'O Design

suresh

Quote Originally Posted by endlasuresh View Post
    An RF-45 mill with 12" Y axis?! I don't think so. Maybe a Bridgeport. Likely you can find a used Bridgeport easily and retrofit for CNC, there are a lot of retrofit kits available. Only other way is to build a steel or epoxy granite frame, see the project log section.

I liked that Wade'O Design build log; it's one of the most thorough I've seen. It's a good design too; seems quite solid. I didn't find any examples of things it had cut, but it seems that it would be capable of machining aluminum pretty well.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    An RF-45 mill with 12" Y axis?! I don't think so. Maybe a Bridgeport. Likely you can find a used Bridgeport easily and retrofit for CNC, there are a lot of retrofit kits available. Only other way is to build a steel or epoxy granite frame, see the project log section.
    Thanks a bunch
    I understood now and have to go with Wade O design, but only i am afraid about the spindle does it really handle the spindle in tight control while moving in rotation.
    It is easy to build for less price than vertical mill. This would be my first CNC so i wanna to start at the end of the month.

Can you tell does Nema 32 motors are enough to move that much weight? also how many hours does this spindle can run in a day continuously?
    suresh

An update
    Is their any spindle that can hold up to 25 mm drill
    suresh

Quote Originally Posted by endlasuresh View Post
    Thanks a bunch
    I understood now and have to go with Wade O design, but only i am afraid about the spindle does it really handle the spindle in tight control while moving in rotation.
    It is easy to build for less price than vertical mill. This would be my first CNC so i wanna to start at the end of the month.

Can you tell does Nema 32 motors are enough to move that much weight? also how many hours does this spindle can run in a day continuously?
    You don't need to use the spindle HE used. Source a spindle that will meet your requirements. EBay...

Build the machine mechanicals first, then you'll know how to size motors.

There are many spindles that will hold a 25mm drill, especially if it has a reduced shank. But few of them will have the correct speed and torque to power it through hard materials. If you're cutting foam, no worries. If you're trying to drill 25mm holes in steel, you're going to need something out of the ordinary.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

On a CNC mill you would probably just pocket the 25mm hole using an endmill. Or drill then enlarge with endmill.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

And, most standard ISO40 spindles will happily cut 25 mm holes in steel, one go.
    A Haas VF5/50, gearbox, did 50 mm holes at our demo, all day.

These are real cnc milling machines in the 4000 kg and up, and 32 mm ballscrews and up, size, with 25 kW spindles.

I think you need about 1000-1500 kgf push force for 25 mm holes in steel, and maybe 70 Nm and up of torque.
    About 15 Hp and up, at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    There are many spindles that will hold a 25mm drill, especially if it has a reduced shank. But few of them will have the correct speed and torque to power it through hard materials. If you're cutting foam, no worries. If you're trying to drill 25mm holes in steel, you're going to need something out of the ordinary.

Thanks for everyone, I am going to build similar http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ing-large.html
    Hoping to get the design in Cad Diagram from him as I don't have knowledge in weight and height of machining.
    I asked 25mm bcause at the starting or end point we can get half circle of 25mm easily. Anyway I will be starting to build the machine. If anybody having Cad diagram or know where I can get one please tell me.
    suresh