584,842 active members*
4,614 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Business name for servo drive company
Page 1 of 3 123

Business name for servo drive company

Hi everyone

Many of you might already know that I'm working on servo drive project that is going to be realized by assembling drives industrially. See these threads for a longer story about the drives:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14477
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22028

In short we (me and one of my friends) need a company name for this business. Our goals is no less than produce high end drives for different kind of motors (servos, steppers). Company might do some day also other industrial electronic producs in addition to drives.

So, I would be very grateful to hear some CNCzoner's ideas for business name. :-) If name or variant of it gets selected, the person behind the idea will get a free sinusoidal AC servo drive. Company probably will be started in about a week from now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newdrivetop.jpg  

Xerxes seems pretty unique. Maybe not in Finland and I don't know what your partner would think.

Darek

I newer thought about putting that as company name. Not a bad idea at all. Not very common anywhere I think.

There are basically two kinds of names:
    - Special names
    - Multi word names formed from common words

Both can be great. I think latter is a good choice for a small company because it can even remotely describe what the company is doing. However single word special names can be descriptive as well. All suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    I newer thought about putting that as company name. Not a bad idea at all. Not very common anywhere I think.
    Google gives for :
    Xerxes 1,840,000 hits.
    Xerxes servo 15,300 hits.
    There is a wiki about Xerxes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerxes

A possibility is a combination of both your names.
    But we do not know the name of your friend.

Is your intended market the hobby market ?
    I thought of GoHobby, but this name is allready in use http://www.gohobby.com/

I will think about it.

So, I would be very grateful to hear some CNCzoner's ideas for business name. :-)
    If name or variant of it gets selected, the person behind the idea will get a free sinusoidal AC servo drive. Company probably will be started in about a week from now.
    If you find a really good name it can make a lot of differences is sales.
    1 servo controller might be a bit to little reward, if you are really exicted by the name.
    3 might be better, for a simple 3-axis cnc router.
    Would be something like 200 euro ?
    Is still cheap for a really good name.
    Which would please you for years and years.
    Some company names cost millions i believe.

I have send you a possible name by email.
    Of course with this name you have to expect a joke or two :-)

hi

Would be in your best interested to have a name that google.com and yahoo.com will hit maximum search result from hobbyist.

Mostly hobbyists will be searching on the internt for information on cnc conversions and retrofits.

This is how i come across cnczone.com and many other hobby cnc suppliers
    I image the key word is " CNC " and a mixture of your name and your partners name in the construction business name.

Again making the key words to suit a webpage name that is very catchy
    what is your real name and your partners name that is starting on this new venture.

Or can you give some keywords so some of us can play around with the wording.

remembering most of you cliental will be scattered all over the world so i imagine most of the sales will be done via the internet.

cheers

PS: my thoughts , to be one step ahead of the opponent businesses you should consider making a driver capable of driving 2 to 3 kwatt servo AC and DC motors. there is no hobby cnc kit available at a reasonable price . All commercial drivers cost a squillion which is out of the reach of most hobbyists

I guess this kind of drives have market in both industry and hobby applications so it is not good to select customers with selective name.
    Our real names are Tero Kontkanen and Timo Piiroinen which are not secret of course. Everyone knows many cool company names are formed from person names.

I promised just one drive point because at this point we don't have piles of money to spread :-) We both are students. But you are right that a brilliant name is worth more than single drive. We will raise the reward if we can. Our calculatons show that we get almost no profit from first 100 drives. Setting up things alone cost thousands.

I promised just one drive point because at this point we don't have piles of money to spread :-) We both are students. But you are right that a brilliant name is worth more than single drive. We will raise the reward if we can. Our calculatons show that we get almost no profit from first 100 drives. Setting up things alone cost thousands.
    Ok, i understand, i like it when students make their own business :-)
    A long time ago i saw it from up close :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FPV_GTp View Post
    Would be in your best interested to have a name that google.com and yahoo.com will hit maximum search result from hobbyist.
    Mostly hobbyists will be searching on the internt for information on cnc conversions and retrofits.
    This is how i come across cnczone.com and many other hobby cnc suppliers
    I image the key word is " CNC " and a mixture of your name and your partners name in the construction business name.
    The word CNC in the name is a good idea.
    But if the business also develops electronics for other areas in the futher then it might be a problem.

TeTi CNC might be one, but not great.

hi

along the path has taken

Tero Kontkanen and Timo Piiroinen

TekTip Electonics CNC ........... TipTek Electonics CNC

or

TekTip CNC Electonics ........... TipTek CNC Electonics

or

CNC TekTip Electonics ............. CNC TipTek Electonics

or

ElectronicsCNC ................. CNCelectronics

first effort , just a matter of playing with words and letters

cheers

for some reason i like the sounds of this CNC TekTip Electonics

cheers

Wink

I had an idea... :cheers:

...but the name was already taken (chair)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tero int..gif  

You have to go bold - this is a breakthrough product with a clear value:boxing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails designers.JPG   motorkraft.JPG   motionworks.JPG  

Samidrive written as one word gets two hits on Google.

If you did go with Xerxes you really do not have to give me a servo drive, since I did not come up with it. If you did I would donate the cost of the drive to CNC Zone in your company's name.

Whatever name you choose, I would not worry about the amount of goggle hits. I think you will find the Zone, @47k+ members, to be your best connection to the people you are trying to reach. I am still amazed at how many Bridgeport BOSS4-6's have my breakout board in them now!

Darek

Nice ideas here

Because our mother tongue is not english it is really hard for us to figure out how does some name sound for english speaking people. For example Nokia sounds very finnish and natural to me but it might be different in other places of the world. I guess it sounds like japanise word because many people seem to think it as a japanise company. :-)

We figured out one combination of our names: PiKo Drives. But I guess it is too common (pico).

I think the reason most people think Nokia is Japanese is because it is an electronics company not because the name sounds Japanese.

My experience with naming two companies is that no matter what you do some people will think it is a funny name and some people will like it. I have found though that the best name is an unusual name because it helps people remember. Having a name that can also be a website name directly is also usefule these days.

I have a different experience of remembering names. I remember names that are not completedly strange to me. Analog Devices is very easy to remember compared to something like Sysopendigia etc.

Yes you are correct: completely strange is not good. I said unusual which is not completely strange. Your example of Analog Devices is what I would call unusual. The reason for this is that most modern devices are digital so the name Analog Devices makes you pause a moment and wonder why 'Analog'. In the same way my suggestion is a word play on servo'drive' and Sami which some people will recognise as being Finnish. I think you need something that hints are clearly indicates that you are Finnish. Finland is a small country hidden somewhere up in the frozen wastes . (I do know where it is and have visited Helsinki and I do business with a company in Finland.) But Finland does have a reputation for innovation and high quality; try to take some advantage of that.

Geof, that's exactly what we are after in this naming. :-) Very well described.

Page 1 of 3 123