584,849 active members*
3,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Plasma, EDM / Other similar machine Project Log > Need thoughts and ideas on changing a single sided gantry to 2 sided gantry...

Need thoughts and ideas on changing a single sided gantry to 2 sided gantry...

SO,

I purchased a used plasma table about 2 weeks ago and then I did my research on it.... This usually does not happen with me, I usually research the piss out of something before I buy, but this was "too good" of a deal to pass up and so I did not research anything before I agreed to purchase. The table is a Precision Cutting Systems Easy loader table, single sided gantry, with a hypertherm powermax plasma and a hypertherm sensor THC.

However, now I am second guessing my purchase, and slapping myself in the forehead. The Hypertherm stuff is great, and it cuts very well, BUT the machine and the table need some help...

Doing some research, I see it is a widely known problem having a single sided gantry, and mine is no different.

Although it seems stout, I cannot cut accurately when the x axis is over 1/2 way from home, as the gantry flexes and shakes too much... Fine cuts are impossible, and fast cuts are not even worth trying. Unfortunately most the stuff I need to cut is in 18 and 16 gauge steel.

SO, In my head I think it would be fairly easy to add another rail on the opposite side of the table, add a new set of motors, sync them, and solve this issue... But I am guessing reality will be very different...

I am willing to put in some money into making this work and I have no fear in designing the parts to make this work, BUT I do need anyone's advice or opinion on what I am going to run into trying to do this...

Mainly, do I need a second motor? or are 2 sided gantry systems driven different?
    should I plan on adding the rail to the top of the tables side beam, or on the side of it? I would think top would be better for support, but side would be better for level...

I am a newby to cnc tables and I am trying to learn everything I can about them before I start this task.

I currently anticipate buying:
    New rail
    new gear rail
    bearings
    2 motors that match 1 for each side
    new motor drivers
    possibly a new control board with more I/O.

I plan to build a stout side arm piece to bolt or weld to the current gantry structure.

seems like I have a table that is 85% built, Has some good parts on it, (hypertherm, mach 3) and it just needs this little bit of work to help it be a truly precision table...

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table 5.jpg  

Re: Need thoughts and ideas on changing a single sided gantry to 2 sided gantry...

Going on side as you say can make levelling a lot easier but if you wanted to go on top simply build a temporary moat and self level with epoxy main problem being upto 7 days curing time for 5-8mm thick epoxy 5mm being about the minimum for self level to work. Depending on the flex if it is more of a bounce in the Z axis than whipping in the Y you could try syncing two sides with a 2 way pulley system round each end of table Belt or wire that could be side mounted. Just another perspective to keep things simple, rail etc would not necessarily have to match.

Re: Need thoughts and ideas on changing a single sided gantry to 2 sided gantry...

self leveling is not a bad idea. Although, If I screwed it up and had it off center I couldn't change it because it was epoxied in.

with a 2 sided gantry system, are both sides driven by separate motors? Or how are all the ways this can be done to ensure it is stable and in sync?

Often driven by two motors with ball screws can be linked to 1 motor by belt, have seen rack and pinion one side and pulley system to sync other side.
    Double pulley to centre of table drive side pulley on each corner round end of table to non drive side as gantry moves along table pulls or releases one pulley routed around 2 corners to pull non driven side and maintain sync.
    Would be simpler to sketch than explain but think you should get idea.

The epoxy is applied and set before applying rail, rail drilled and bolted through epoxy levelling.

If it's just vibration and sag at the end of gantry that's the issue, adding square rail and carriage on a block may be all you need to do.

An iko rail and carriage for instance, as long as kept clean has very little resistance.

Might be worth a try before making it over complicated. Quite simple to add r&p and motor mounts if you place the rail on the top if required.

I will try this. basically I am not sure sag is an issue, just vibration on finecut, fast cut parts. Now to find a source.