585,712 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 15 45678

Re: Starting my build...

Nice touch with the donation encourage others rather than collecting dust in a cupboard somewhere, and yes I use the lovejoy type connectors on my mill and router not just for stength but to prevent backlash the sprung aluminium type created for 3d printers are designed to allow minor misalignment where no resisting force is encountered. With the rubber buffered type alignment is more critical but backlash is far less as up to a 1/4 of a turn on spring type before it fails would equate to 2.5mm of possible backlash half a rotation on a 1605 ballscrew. I actually tested one to destruction to prove it was unsuitable and convince myself I was right in my thinking.

Cool...thanks Louis. Maybe I'll get this thing finished in the next couple of months.

It's alive...kind of...

Hooked up the motors for fun.

Is your z axis coming from cnc4newbie? If so whats the travel and hows the quality of it?

LOL...someone recognized it! Yes...cnc4newbie. Quality is excellent...no whip in the lead screw...solidly made...motor mounted perfectly. Not sure how long the bearings will hold up, but I can rebuild it if necessary. I'm ashamed to say I haven't measured travel, but the specs said 5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Spec View Post
    Is your z axis coming from cnc4newbie? If so whats the travel and hows the quality of it?

Well i decided to order one for myself too !

Awesome...same model?

Well i decided to order one for myself too !

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Awesome...same model?
    Yes the same i already received it shipping was ligthning quick

You putting it on an existing or new machine?

Yes the same i already received it shipping was ligthning quick

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    You putting it on an existing or new machine?
    No this is the first part ive ordered, shopping for somw hiwin rail now !

Cool...I used the SBR16 rail, but the next one will have hiwin.

No this is the first part ive ordered, shopping for somw hiwin rail now !

Can't see any advantage to Hwin with an unsupported X axis it will give no benefit without same quality on the X axis. as rest of machine, the rigidity gained from H win will disappear with unsupported rails.

Got the rolling 'chassis' going. This is pretty much as much as I had 'designed'. I'll be making the rest up as I go. Maybe it won't turn out to be an expensive paper weight.

Set microstepping in GRBL for the Z axis unit and checked for 1 inch movement. Was within a couple of thousands.

Unfortunately loss of accuracy with those prebuilt Z axis units probably in the unsupported rails which will just mean shallower DOC, I was surprised when you went for the ebay model, I found the Z the easiest axis to build, cut with power saw drilled and tapped, with 20mm supported 1605 ballscrew including 425oz motor and very little effort, the cost was not much more expensive than those I saw on eBay.

Louis...I think I can rebuild this unit at some point... with supported rail if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    Unfortunately loss of accuracy with those prebuilt Z axis units probably in the unsupported rails which will just mean shallower DOC, I was surprised when you went for the ebay model, I found the Z the easiest axis to build, cut with power saw drilled and tapped, with 20mm supported 1605 ballscrew including 425oz motor and very little effort, the cost was not much more expensive than those I saw on eBay.

Question about using belts for my Y axis. I've seen some negative comments about using belts here, but I want to consider belting instead of the two long lead screws (about 45 inches) that I'm going to need. The use of belts would simplify things a bit I'm thinking. Pros and cons?? What belts and pulleys would I need for best strength and accuracy (for NEMA23 motors)?

Tnx,

The belts tend to be far less accurate, having said that if you can live with that which I believe you probably can to start with, I would suggest a single open ended belt each side both ends anchored mounting motor on bottom gantry sides fairly heavy 10-15mm T5 would make machine useable and moving motors later on to end and attaching screws would be a very easy process hooking ballscrew nuts to where motors were mounted. Open ended belt cheaper easier to work with and tension, wiring motors to run opposite direction. Take a look at vicious1.com and the mostly printed CNC for a better idea of what I mean, I've just ordered some T5 pulleys and belts for a job on ebay at good prices 10X(Double Flange XL Type 1/5" Pitch 20 Tooth Groove Belt Timing Pulley) | eBay

Cool...thanks Louis...I'll look into the T5 belting.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    The belts tend to be far less accurate, having said that if you can live with that which I believe you probably can to start with, I would suggest a single open ended belt each side both ends anchored mounting motor on bottom gantry sides fairly heavy 10-15mm T5 would make machine useable and moving motors later on to end and attaching screws would be a very easy process hooking ballscrew nuts to where motors were mounted. Open ended belt cheaper easier to work with and tension, wiring motors to run opposite direction. Take a look at vicious1.com and the mostly printed CNC for a better idea of what I mean, I've just ordered some T5 pulleys and belts for a job on ebay at good prices 10X(Double Flange XL Type 1/5" Pitch 20 Tooth Groove Belt Timing Pulley) | eBay

fretman how wide are your rails im looking for 2 ich wide rails im also building a unit

Page 6 of 15 45678