584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Computer Technology > USB, RS232, PARALLEL etc > Can a Usb to Lpt port Cable work with a breakout board?

Can a Usb to Lpt port Cable work with a breakout board?

Hello everyone,

Two weeks ago, I started my first CNC build, referencing this site has helped alot! Although, I have searched here and the web, and cannot seem to find anything in depth with my question. I bought a break out board that uses a LPT port connection, and after checking all my computers in my house, realized that they didn't come with the LPT printer port.
    My question is... Has anyone had any success using the USB to LPT port adaptor cable? Or any success using a Lpt pci drop in card?

I have read that Homemade CNC machines are finicky to begin with, so I thought I ask the question. I am using Mach 3 and a 5 axis breakout board ( I bought from ebay :|).

Thank for all your help

KV

Re: Can a Usb to Lpt port Cable work with a breakout board?

No, doesn't work as the USB adapter, pci should (I think some more than others, read up). Or, uc100 works too, with mach3 or their own software.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Its my understanding that
    USB to parallel will NOT work. It must be a true LPT port. Either onboard, PCI card or PCMCIA .
    there are several USB breakout boards available on Aliexpress and probably eBay.
    Also many mother boards do have LPT ports on board still but no longer come with Ribbon cable and Connectors these can be acquired to enable onboard LPT ports.

Thanks everyone, wanted to confirm this before I bought a USb to LPT cable, I will look for a pci card or full motherboard with LPT port.

There is also an "Ethernet Smooth Stepper" board that has LPT ports. It works with Mach3 and Mach4.
    It connects to a computer's Ethernet port.
    Not sure if it is cost effective for you.

Old desktops of reasonable specs are almost being given away at the moment as people rush to tablets and notebooks I picked up 4 machines for people decent spec quad core 4x2.6gb Dells with LPT for less than the cost of a decent motherboard check the classifieds.

A video tells more than 100 words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMDzlt1uxY

The ethernet smooth stepper is a great idea, I will look into that! I picked up a computer had an LPT port needed a Hard drive. She was a no go, when I installed a hard drive froze up half way through installing xp. will have to keep looking for now. thanks again!

Yes, many options available. I splurged and went with an E-Smoother Stepper and a G540 unit. Still need to wire limit switches and an E-stop relay before mine is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    A video tells more than 100 words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMDzlt1uxY
    Yes, the UCX00 controllers definitely work well. I have the UC300 and I am very happy with it, have not started up my old XP Pro mini tower PC since the day I received my UC300 and installed in my laptop.

You have a very nice CNC... I envy you for that.

There is computer boards out there that have the riser on the Motherboard if you look inside the case it will be marked LPT, all you will need is a ribbon cable with 26 pin to 25 pin female LPT port like is on the back of the older computers. But if you are running 64 bit their is no LPT drivers for mach 3 for 64 bit version so you have to go to UC-100 or Ethernet smooth stepper to use 64 bit OS computers.