584,833 active members*
5,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: My Skyfire SVM-2 build

Clever idea to take the casters off the engine hoist thereby reducing the clearance between the floor and the base. I'm going to have to remember that one.

How do you like the raising mechanism on those (FootMaster?) casters? I find it nearly impossible to adjust them when they are fully loaded.

Cheers Michael

Yeah, I was doing some measurements and realised the enclosure wont be able to go over the legs of the hoist with the casters on the hoist. With them off though, I could position the mill-stand over it with room to spare.....and the fact that I could just pop off the hoist-legs via push-pins after, helped a lot. Trust me, I was thinking about 1000 ways how to do this, even thought about hiring an A-Frame hoist setup...

But sanity and logic prevailed, hehe.

Yeah, the Footmaster casters are a bit heavy to adjust if you want to remove the total load of them, but I usually just set them about half-way to provide stability. Not sure about the sensibility of this in the long-term.....but these are pretty robust units....

What's your experience on letting the machine sit on them?

My 1100 lb mill has been on 4 of the GD80 casters for about 8 years or so and no problems so far. No flat spots that I've noticed. My 1600-lb lathe has been on the same sort of casters for a couple of years and they seem fine as well.

Great, this one is about the weight of your lathe, so it should be fine too. Appreciate your feedback!!

Don't forget that you can adjust the casters so that they are raised above the level of the feet. In that position, the caster wheels will have no load and should never develop flat spots.

Page 3 of 3 123