585,942 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Rofin Starmark C02 Laser, 10w Air Cooled - Need Help with Software!
Page 2 of 5 1234

Re: Rofin Starmark C02 Laser, 10w Air Cooled - Need Help with Software!

Other questions:

-On the laser rail there are one or 2 ILK switches, if you want to work with the rail open , pul the up , the give a click and they stay up.
    But better close the covver, dust op the optics can kill the laser....

After turning the shutter key. Open program monitor and press on the onscreen shutter open button.
    You can set the option to auto open the shutter when key is turned in the configuration program

There is also a posebility that you need to make a external ILK connection.
    Are ther empty plugs at the back of the laser ??

Best regards,

Martin

No you do not need extra drivers for the system
    All is in Lasercad

I looked at the pictures of your system, at the back there should be a flat grey plug with a link

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-04-26 19_29_52-EPLAN.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Martin1967 View Post
    I looked at the pictures of your system, at the back there should be a flat grey plug with a link

Hi Martin,

Wow thank you so much for all your help, truly do appreciate it. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but do ask if this attachment you are referring to is for the little light fixture that sits on the cabinet? Sorry perhaps i am not following when you say a flat grey plug with a link? I will post up photos of what the back actually looks like here shortly then you can see what i am working with. Tried running Lasercad with the cabinet open and the red light fixture on it connected to the flat plug in the back and it appears to be not recognizing or working again.

As for the Shutter, i was quite worried when the light did not turn on turning the key over to "on" but later read like you mentioned that there is actually 3 settings on it. Two physical and one likely in the software as you are saying. So even though the key is in the open position,the shutter remains closed until the setting in the monitor is opened.

I may need some help with configuring the lasercad software once i have the card reading in windows as per your instructions, everytime i have tried to go in with no communication it would display that it was not able to find the plug in card or dongle and it would terminate. When i reinstall lasercad and select the communication protocol, do i select comport 3 like you mentioned? or like 4 with LTP? or 3 with LPT..? Sorry now i can't remember the options prior to finishing the setup.

Furthermore, are there any programs that should be put in the startup of the computer at all times such as the monitor and download?

Hi Xavior,

On page 27 you see on the bottem of the screen IRQ 3 PCI/PNP

You have to scroll down a bit on that screen until you see IRQ5 PCI/PNP
    Change that to Legacy ISA (Page up/down button)

That should do the trick

Please also check the settings in the configuration software, should be laser type Co2

Best regards,

Martin
    Hi Martin,

Just when i thought we had this figured out, i went into the BIOS only to find out that the IRQ was already on Legacy ISA as per your comments. I just tried resetting it to IRQ PCI/PNP, and then will go back in to put it back to Legacy ISA afterwards. Is there a chance that any of the other IRQs would be ISA and how do we know #5 is the one we are after? The reason i ask is because it was already sitting on ISA, actually both IRQ #3 and #5 are sitting on ISA. Let me see if i can get a screen shot of the device manager for all of you to see. See below, will edit with link soon.

As you can see from the photos, we do have 2 printer ports and 3 com ports but for some reason Lasercad 2.79 still cannot recognize it properly. Do we need to go into parameters of the lasercad software and select anything particular such as the Port 10 (PC) and active? Then proceed to select #2? I have attached some more screen shots of the settings i was talking about here.

I am still in the same position as before as Lasercad cannot see the card and this "dongle" it is trying to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Device Manager - IRQ #5 ISA.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	318160
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Download Checking Connection - No.jpg  

OK Xavior I will leave you in Martins capable hands, good luck with it and post some pics when you get it working.

Louis

Hello All,

The LBS card has 2 interfaces, LPT2 and com3
    They are on the card. You need to reserve IRQ 5 in the bios for ISA

Then you should see in the device tree of windows 2 LPT ports and com 1 2 and 3

Best regards,

Martin
    Hi Martin,

New development from my recent post, the device manager before showed LPT 1-2 and Comports 1-3 but now for some reason after a restart it is only showing com ports 1 and 2. I am not sure where the third one went but i have attached some screen shots to show you the bios and the settings in there in hopes to find out whats going on. Do you know in lasercad under the parameter program if it should be under PC (10) and port 2 or 3? or maybe 1. I am not sure and it appears it cannot communicate with the laser at all.

Do we need all 3 to show up because i feel like i just went backwards now and have lost the third comport when it was working just fine. I am really really hoping that things did not just get more complicated for me as to why its not showing up anymore.
    Maybe we should try re-seating the card to see if it will pick it up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160426_175852.jpg   IMG_20160426_180012.jpg  

Hello Xavior,

-First go to the device manager, if com3 is not there, ad manually a com3 port.( it is not really PnP)
    -Then go to the properties of this port and find the screen where you can select the IRQ and Adress.
    -set to configuration 5
    -Now click on the irq (probably not 5 but some thing else at this moment) and change it to 5

Restart windows and check if it is still there.

Do not start monitor/download
    Go to c:\lasercad
    Run LBSinst.exe

There you should see LBS setting ( I do not remember exactly but LPT1 and com3 should be there)

Now be careful All your needed configuration data about Field correction and Galvo timings are still in the flash memory of the LBS card!!

After pressing install or something on the LBSinst.exe you get the question where to get the configuration.
    -From PC
    -From laser
    -New

Choose from Laser.

Now it should work.

You can set Monitor in the startup of windows. Then download start's also

When all is working you turn key and press shutter open in monitor.

The picture with the plug I talked about is the back of the cabinet
    You see there also the monitor/keyboard plug and a smal D9 for a start stop interface

Best regards,

Martin

PS this setting should not be made,

Here is the setting you should see:

Other thing, the donglefault is becouse the LBS card is the dongle :-)

Here is the setting you should see:

Other thing, the donglefault is becouse the LBS card is the dongle :-)
    Hi Martin,

Considering i have already kind of played with the settings, it may be best to reinstall LaserCad? I am unable to see this photo that you have attached here, can you repost it please? As for the serial port parameters in the other post i made "port (10) and active along with #2 you mentioned should not be made, from what i understand this should be 3? Perhaps this will be more clear when i see the photo you have attached.

Hello Xavior,

-First go to the device manager, if com3 is not there, ad manually a com3 port.( it is not really PnP)
    -Then go to the properties of this port and find the screen where you can select the IRQ and Adress.
    -set to configuration 5
    -Now click on the irq (probably not 5 but some thing else at this moment) and change it to 5

Restart windows and check if it is still there.

Do not start monitor/download
    Go to c:\lasercad
    Run LBSinst.exe

There you should see LBS setting ( I do not remember exactly but LPT1 and com3 should be there)

Now be careful All your needed configuration data about Field correction and Galvo timings are still in the flash memory of the LBS card!!

After pressing install or something on the LBSinst.exe you get the question where to get the configuration.
    -From PC
    -From laser
    -New

Choose from Laser.

Now it should work.

You can set Monitor in the startup of windows. Then download start's also

When all is working you turn key and press shutter open in monitor.

The picture with the plug I talked about is the back of the cabinet
    You see there also the monitor/keyboard plug and a smal D9 for a start stop interface

Best regards,

Martin

PS this setting should not be made,

Hi Martin,

1. To add a new comport, although it has been years since i have messed around with windows 98 etc, we are to goto add new hardware and tell it the device is already connected. Select the comport and add it to the list correct? I can't think of another way to do this, please correct me if i am wrong.
    Edit: I was able to add the port 3 and then go into the properties and changed it to configuring 5, the default IRQ was 4 so i went in a changed it to 5 and restarted. Problem is when i returned it was back to 4 and the 5 doesn't want to stick. Any ideas to why?

Hi Xavior,

I hope this picture works :

To add the device, I always click a bit to see what to do.
    Win98:, just add a com port that is already connected I think.
    Or the other option. just try

The follow the last instructions.

Com settings in your picture should be set back to what twas there, I think not active.
    This is for something els with a other type of laser.

Did you install LaserCad on this pc or was it already there ?

The IRQ setting in windows has to be made, windows give the comport in the card a wrong IRQ because he can not see the IRQ on the card.
    You have to do this your self.

Be carfull when touching the LBS card, it easy damaged by static electric

Best regards,

Martin

This should be the setting in serial port in the program parameter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails serialports.png  

This is where to change the IRQ , sorry it is a Dutch windows :-)
    And I do not have a com 3 ! Just to show you where it is in WinXP

Hi Xavior,

I hope this picture works :

To add the device, I always click a bit to see what to do.
    Win98:, just add a com port that is already connected I think.
    Or the other option. just try

The follow the last instructions.

Com settings in your picture should be set back to what twas there, I think not active.
    This is for something els with a other type of laser.

Did you install LaserCad on this pc or was it already there ?

The IRQ setting in windows has to be made, windows give the comport in the card a wrong IRQ because he can not see the IRQ on the card.
    You have to do this your self.

Be carfull when touching the LBS card, it easy damaged by static electric

Best regards,

Martin
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for the photos, that makes sense. I was able to get the IRQ #5 to stick this time, not sure what was wrong last time but once i selected com 3 with LPT2 and hit OKAY it opened up download and it "updating system software!" I all of sudden started to panic as you mentioned that i should of been prompted to install software from PC or laser and to select laser. I was not given that option at all. It just started sending to the flash without any particular comments regarding PC or Laser. Please tell me this didn't just mess things up for me?!? The good news is that we have communication with the Laser now! Woohoo!

Oke.... :-)

It is not a problem, but settings are now back to factory defaults.
    Your version of LaserCad is a bit older and did not have that option I think.

Can you set the system now to Co2 ?

Some thing should work.

Is there a floppy in documentation with a filel Starmark.cfg ??
    Other wise, if you have an Equipment number on the black stikker at the back or side I could fetch the original configuration from our service server.
    But the older one's are not all wel documentated

Oke.... :-)

It is not a problem, but settings are now back to factory defaults.
    Your version of LaserCad is a bit older and did not have that option I think.

Can you set the system now to Co2 ?

The something should work.

Is there a floppy in documentation with a filel Starmark.cfg ??
    Other wise, if you have an Equipment number on the black stikker at the back or side I could fetch the original configuration from our service server.
    But the older one's are not all wel documentated
    I went into the settings and selected only two things, C02 as the laser and that is air cooled.
    Unfortunately this machine is not well documented at all and i do not have any floppy or a file called Starmark.cfg. I assume this is a configuration file. These were the only ones i was able to find on the entire machine, i hope they were not rubbed off or something. Have a look under labels: https://app.box.com/s/9bi42d8t3ebti5djeccyu0pbq65yp8n8

Does that help?

No, these are not the label I mean.

It should be something with Baasel on it and the amound of power it uses and voltage etc.

Is there no backup of the old installation of this PC ?? the file is in C:\lasercad\cfg\starmark.cfg

- - - Updated - - -

But It should now be possible to open the shutter ???

At Deflection heads, it should be a 100mm lens
    Field is 70x70mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monittor - Shutter.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	318268
    No, these are not the label I mean.

It should be something with Baasel on it and the amound of power it uses and voltage etc.

Is there no backup of the old installation of this PC ?? the file is in C:\lasercad\cfg\starmark.cfg

- - - Updated - - -

But It should now be possible to open the shutter ???

At Deflection heads, it should be a 100mm lens
    Field is 70x70mm
    Hi Martin,

Unfortunately there is no backup of the old computer as the previous owner had wiped the device the device and reinstalled windows 98 in hopes to get the communication open. I called Rofin about two days ago and finally got a copy of Lasercad 2.79 and installed it as it was not previously installed. Let me see if i can find some more information regarding the voltages, i do believe this is a 10w/20w C02 Air Cooled Laser. Would there be another photo i could get to get this for you? Unfortunately there is probably a panel missing with that sticker. Anything else we can use?

Regarding the shutter, i turned the shutter key to open and went into monitor and selected to open the shutter. The light for the shutter on the cabinet did not open but there was a noise like a click coming from the laser rail suggesting it was opened up. I have attached a photo of the monitor program with the shutter portion. What do you think? All the safety interlocks are greyed out, is that proper?

Regarding the lens and field, how would i be able to determine that? I do have some manuals on a CD that i will upload here, perhaps you can take a look and advise me see here under manuals: https://app.box.com/s/9bi42d8t3ebti5djeccyu0pbq65yp8n8

Does that help?

I have here about 20Mb of pdf's how to use LaserCad and laser engraving with our lasers in general.
    Can I upload to your app.box ???

Page 2 of 5 1234