585,712 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 18 21011121314

Re: Skyfire CNC owners?

I think I would have **** my pants the moment I saw that.

Is it still in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yours won't look so ridiculous with a 30 Taper, but it will depend on what you are going to use it for, ER11 ER16 up to ER20 / ER 25 is max anyone should ever need, for collet tooling, for milling, if you need bigger than 1/2" collet size, then there is something you are doing wrong, 1/2" and up you should be using solid tooling, collet tooling with large tools you get a lot of flex , the other problem is the big diameter of the Nut, this is the biggest problem you will have with it, Even with a ER16 you have to make sure you have enough clearance on the jobs you are doing, I use solid holders down to 3/16 or 5mm, tooling lasts much better also, I do use collets ER11 up to ER25 if you want good rigidity though use solid tooling
    Ridiculous?????......Defeng ORIGINALLY designed the SVM-0 with an ER32 chuck integral with the spindle as the basic prototype model and showed it working on UTUBE where NOBODY made a comment that it looked ridiculous.

I optioned to have a spindle with removable tooling hence the ISO20 taper.........which you can't see as it's inside the spindle......note that it's INSIDE Mac, and so is not apparent.

Mac in his self proclaimed know it all attitude has openly stated that the design with an ER32 chuck and an ISO20 spindle is RIDICULOUS too.

But, I forgot, Mac has never seen any Skyfire products, or touched one or even knows what they look like apart from some pics he's seen.......how much more ridiculous can you get......armchair engineering at it's best.
    Ian.

Ian ask a level 60 machinist,( call a meat wag first ) and what they will say is very much the same, why you ask am I arguing what's the max size tool that can go into a ER32 chuck on a ISO20 spindle with a 10 k max spindle speed or whatever the max speed of your machine is.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    How about I get you guys back on topic. Ian, since you were one of the first to receive a Skyfire mill, what have you been able to create on it? I really haven't heard too many of the owners report much on their machines.
    I think I did say many times that I do not have parts to make and mainly enjoy having a CNC mill with all the bells and whistles when i want to impress my friends when they come around to play with it and see the wheels turning.

It gets better though, a couple of my friends got so enthusiastic about the aspect of CNC control and what it can do when they saw it working that I, even with my meagre knowledge of CNC, was encouraged to teach them the basic fundamentals of G code programming to a degree that they can now write G code programs of their own and are investing in their own machines.....that is cool.

Many people buy custom made cars just to show them off at car meets and never to actually ride in them........the thought of getting all that pristine gleaming machinery covered in grime goes against the grain......I'm a bit like that too.

But I do have many projects that I might consider diving into the CNC pool to get my feet wet.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Well just got the call that the Skyfire is out of the Custom Met exam. Just got the bill too. I'm going to post it here just so you can see how messed up this BS is, like "Clean truck fee" and others. Anyway it may also be over, $2100 to get it out of Custom's jail. Here's the list, the ones underlined are what should of happened and I was prepared for. The REST is BS. "Pier pass charge" Sounds like a bridge Troll charge, BS. Anyway hopefully Pics tomorrow of a USA delivery after 5 months.

DEVANNING CHARGE 49.88

HANDLING CHARGE 75.00

CHASSIS RENTAL FEE 19.95

CHASSIS SPLIT FEE 11.97

CLEAN TRUCK FEE 11.97

PIER PASS CHARGE 23.94

PORT SECURITY CHARGE 25.00

CUSTOMS ID ACTIVATION FEE 25.00

ISF CHARGE 40.00

ISF BOND 65.00

CUSTOMS CLEARANCE FEE 95.00

CUSTOMS BOND 86.76

BONDED TRUCKING TO EXAM SITE 195.22

MET EXAM 195.00

MET PROCESSING FEE 55.00

LIFT-GATE 65.00

DELIVERY 188.10

RESIDENTIAL 55.00

WAREHOUSE CHARGES 87.00

IMPORT DUTY 736.87

$2,106.66 Total.

Holy crap they forgot to charge for the ink to make the invoice and printer maintenance fee. I feel a lot better now.

Jack
    I paid about $1100, not including ISF fee which I paid prior to shipping. In my thread I posted the process which I repost here for anyone interested and had no clue (like I did

Anyways, as promised I want to discuss a few points about the import process. It's more involved than getting a package though EMS. This is to the US; may be different in other countries.

What you should get from your vendor -
    An itemized invoice
    A Bill of Lading
    Packing list

Hopefully your vendor (Defeng here) will provide you with some info to get the ball rolling, like the container number, estimated vessel departure/arrival dates, vessel name, voyage number, master bill of lading number, AMS house bill of lading number.... Also the info of the consolidator and container stuffing warehouse. And the HBL/SCAC code.

All containers arriving by ship are subject to inspection by Customs and Border Patrol. and you'll have to fill out ISF 10+2 form (Importer Security Filing) PRIOR to the merchandise boarding the ship!!!! My eyes glazed over looking at the form, so I seeked the assistance of a customs broker. Thankfully, they are able to fill this out using the information in the previous paragraph.

For the customs broker, you'll have to sign a power of attorney form that allows them to file on your behalf. There is another form aside from the 10+2 that is filed that has more information from you (like SS# and other personal information). They'll also want the documents I listed above, as well as a copy of your photo ID. The fee is actually pretty reasonable, but this is the start only. Then the wating game begins.

When the package is close to port, you should receive an arrival notice. This is then sent to your customs broker. The nice thing here is your customs broker will do all the arrangements with the ocean company, from paying the ocean freight and customs fee, as well as truck and warehouse your shipment. This all comes at a fee, of course, along with the bond premium, estimated duty, ISF fee, ISF single transaction bond, and other fees. You pay the ISF fee and single transaction bond first, before your package leaves port. All the other goodies are paid at pick-up (or delivery).

Well, this is pretty much it. It's actually less daunting, since your customs broker handles everything and you just send a photo ID, the shipping info supplied by your vendor, and the "cabbage."

For those who asked, my customs broker was WB Skinner, in Lodi, NJ. Michael Skinner was extremely helpful with the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    Ian ask a level 60 machinist,( call a meat wag first ) and what they will say is very much the same
    And you've never seen or touched a SKYFIRE product either but know all about one.....LOL........Defeng will be most amused that his "ridiculous" products are so sought after..

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I paid about $1100, not including ISF fee which I paid prior to shipping. In my thread I posted the process which I repost here for anyone interested and had no clue (like I did
    Hi, I was fully aware that a price for import was in the air

I paid about A$2,000 too when the final bills were added up.

That is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the same machine from a dealer after they pay all the import duties and add their mark up.

Direct importing has it's draw backs as in the time taken if things get out of hand, but generally the time frame is pretty reasonable for the price savings.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    I think I would have **** my pants the moment I saw that.

Is it still in jail?
    No, I paid it today and it gets delivered tomorrow between 1 and 2 PM. About $1200 was what I expected until the Feds decided they needed some extra cash. Nothing you can do, you get 1 day to get it out or they start charging ridiculous storage rates. Your pretty much screwed if you don't pick it up. I just want to be done and in the shop. At this point the only way I would make a deal with Defeng that deposit money goes into an escrow account. If the machine is not done on time then money get's refunded back to you with out any issues or you can negotiate a new deal with a discount for every week that the machine runs late. Deposit money is in escrow until the machine is ready to go and you pay the balance. Even if my machine is worth every penny I would not deal with them again unless there where checks and balances in place.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    I think I did say many times that I do not have parts to make and mainly enjoy having a CNC mill with all the bells and whistles when i want to impress my friends when they come around to play with it and see the wheels turning.

It gets better though, a couple of my friends got so enthusiastic about the aspect of CNC control and what it can do when they saw it working that I, even with my meagre knowledge of CNC, was encouraged to teach them the basic fundamentals of G code programming to a degree that they can now write G code programs of their own and are investing in their own machines.....that is cool.

Many people buy custom made cars just to show them off at car meets and never to actually ride in them........the thought of getting all that pristine gleaming machinery covered in grime goes against the grain......I'm a bit like that too.

But I do have many projects that I might consider diving into the CNC pool to get my feet wet.
    Ian.

Ian, 5884 comments and you've never even made a part on your Skyfire. Have you ever made any parts on anything? Just curious, not judging. C'mon I know your messing with us, show us some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    How about I get you guys back on topic. Ian, since you were one of the first to receive a Skyfire mill, what have you been able to create on it? I really haven't heard too many of the owners report much on their machines.
    I second the Motion, I want to see some too, I've always been curious.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    And you've never seen or touched a SKYFIRE product either but know all about one.....LOL........Defeng will be most amused that his "ridiculous" products are so sought after..
    Answer the question Ian whats the max size tool that can go into a ER 32 collet on a ISO20 on a cnc machine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL.......and Defeng would say ....."go get f.........d.......I got more customers than machines, if you don't stand in line you don't get a chance"......sigh, sometimes you just gotta be patient and go with the flow.......that's direct import for you........we at least know that Defeng is a genuine seller and not a con artist just after a few buck like many have hinted.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Ian, 5884 comments and you've never even made a part on your Skyfire. Have you ever made any parts on anything? Just curious, not judging. C'mon I know your messing with us, show us some pics.
    Genuine mate.....I bought the machine just as I wanted it optioned because I live and breathe engineering and always wanted to get into CNC as a medium........being an oldy World machinist the learning curve has bee a long one but exciting as anyone who treads a new path knows.

Would you go out and drive a rare Mercedes classic in showroom condition and get it scratched or dirty.........it wouldn't get admiration comments at shows with dust and grime all over it.

The spin off is I now know basically how to program in G code and have taught others too as it's simple once you learn the basics..

I also have a workshop with a big mill, lathe, surface grinder plasma welder, tool & cutter grinders, fly press and various others and do make prototypes that I've invented for sale to private buyers......that's my line and it keeps me busy.......the CNC part is a fun thing to expand my horizon.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    Answer the question Ian whats the max size tool that can go into a ER 32 collet on a ISO20 on a cnc machine
    There was no question asked.........as everyone and his dog knows, the max tool diam you can get into an ER32 collet is 19mm.........it doesn't mean you need to go attempting to hog massive amounts of material off with it.......that is dependent on the power of your machine, but facing with a large diam cutter is more practical than a small one as you don't get tool deflection.

I work with various diam fly cutters too so the large shank is the way to go.

I also have a few ER16 collet chucks with a19mm diam plain shank.........this allows me to hold it in the ER32 chuck for small drills from 1mm up to 10mm which would be overshadowed by the ER32 collet nut diam when close to the job.......much cheaper and more compact than a keyless drill chuck, and they run dead true.

BTW.....the big end of an ISO20 shank is about 25mm.....do you think you could bend that on a cut?......get real,

Having the ISO20 shank on that small machine means I get a power draw bar capability for interchangeable tooling......... it has a 1 HP brushless motor powering it up to 7,500 rpm.
    Ian.

Ian a 20 MM cutter in a ER32 collet on a ISO20 spindle at 5 to 7k, do you think that would be a good idea doing an adaptive cut at 100 in/min 2540 mm/min at a 2.5 - 5% step over 75% depth of cut, this is a CNC only question not a manual question.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can you guys cut the crap..... maybe start a thread where you can act like children?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    Can you guys cut the crap..... maybe start a thread where you can act like children?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    LOL....it's all about the Skyfire products and their usability.........the fact that tooling and spindle size can apply to almost any mill you can name is irrelevant.

You don't HAVE to go hell for leather trying to beat the clock and forcing the cutter for all it's worth.........the more cuts you take to remove the metal the less wear and tear on the machine......that is a lot different to the mode that a manual mill takes when it's set up for a person to work.

Cutters can have different profiles and materials in their make up.......who cares as long as the cut doesn't break something attempting to emulate a bigger heavier machine that exists only in the mind of the must have it yesterday mob.......the SVM-0 is a hobby machine, but a very precise one all the same.

As far as hobby is concerned, what defines a hobby?
    Ian.

What colour is the sky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Guy's it's here. Finally arrived this morning about 11:30, couple hours early, imagine that. Here's a couple pics of it in the garage. Need to get it off the crate and wheels on to get it in it's new home. This is when I wish the Hulk was real and lived next door. I also need to find where they put the stop for the door, it opens about half way then stops. Must be a shipping stop of some sort. I'll figure it out. Or if someone with a Skyfire out there knows post it please. Just so you know, the wiring looks really nice as does the whole machine. If I can safely get it off the pallet and on the floor I'll fire it up as I have everything in place as far as air and power. The wheels are amazing, heavy duty and well built units. I also ordered a lot of tooling and all seems to be there. Everything was packed in the bottom chip tray and was not touched by the Customs Met check. Which tells me they are worthless when doing checks, so it was a $1000 payday for them for doing nothing it seems.

Jack

Nahh.....the sniffer dogs just had a sticky beek and then wagged their tails, gave it a once over then peed on it to mark it as seen........untouched by Human hand etc.

I must say it looks AWWWWWWWSOMELY good........if you ain't a happy chappie now then you will be when you start to run the code.

I think I'd build a heavy board ramp just to make sure it stayed stable when you roll it off the pallet base.......I don't think I'd risk a fork lift attempt unless the cabinet bottom was strong enough.

MY SVM-0 has a steel tube sub frame and I roped it up and lifted it onto a steel bench with an engine crane......it weighs about 400KG all up.
    Ian.

Page 12 of 18 21011121314