585,722 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 18 31112131415

Re: Skyfire CNC owners?

Here's some video of the unboxing and getting it off the pallet. Do not use a ramp, this is much safer. Just jack it up, slide the pallet out, install the wheels and incrementally lower it. I used 6x4 blocks and 1/2 pcs of plywood to do it and a floor jack.

https://youtu.be/k34JFUrEZtY

Jack

Nice. How much space was there underneath to get a jack in to lift it off the pallet a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Nice. How much space was there underneath to get a jack in to lift it off the pallet a bit?

Just a bit over 1.5". I used 1.5 inch wide steel rec. tubing. I had to pry up a bit because the pallet was a bit bowed under it but they go through fine. Just go slow as it's really heavy.

Hi, I second your appraisal of not using the ramp,

I also used a 100mm stack of thin wood planks stacked on top of each other and a 4 metre long pry bar to lift my 1-1/2 ton Ajax manual mill off my pallet truck when it was delivered a couple of years ago.

The pry bar allowed me to sequentially lift at the corners of the base and remove a plank at a time until it was down on the floor.....this was how the machinery mover people moved the mill in when it arrived initially......I just moved it to a new position.

Getting a heavy weight off a springy pallet would be a challenge for anyone.
    Ian..

AWESOME!!!!

I am in LA if you care to get to know each other...possible I could be helpful.

So glad it arrived - what a process!

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    AWESOME!!!!

I am in LA if you care to get to know each other...possible I could be helpful.

So glad it arrived - what a process!
    RX8 your more than welcome to come check it out. I'm usually around most days. PM me for my number.

Jack

Here is another good video, you may have already seen it, things you want to do before you use coolant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAdAzPZU2FY
    Mactec54

Thanks, I've watched it a few times, in fact I've probably watch every Skyfire video on the planet in the last year a few times.

Update: I have everything working great except I can not figure out how to change from mm to inches in the controller. I can't find it in the user manual or any of the controller manuals. You'd think that would be right up front and center.

I have a program ready to cut out some brackets I make but I want to change the controller over first to inches.

Did you ask Aaron he should know sinces he use metric, if he is out of hospital that is
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I finally figured it out. In the setup is a thing that's called "British". and it was "NO" Made it "YES" just to try it and it worked. British what the heck. How about Imperial units like the rest of the world implies. British refers to that weird wentworth standard I thought. Well that's the answer anyway.

Thanks,

Jack

changlish at its finest
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow......I'm stunned that the water works was/is such a bad issue........I would have freaked out at the first drip.........it looks like there was a bad bit of seam welding before the powder coating or painting when the cabinet was made.

When the SVM-0 cabinet was made it was stated specifically at the time of making that mist coolant was advised not flood coolant.

I suppose Mig or Tig welding the total length of the seams would have been too time consuming or created too much distortion in the panelling and that would have led to wrinkles on the panel surfaces..........a run round the seams with soft solder would have sealed the seams as they only really need to be in the lower sections...........the door problem is a design one......I would not have gone for a sliding door even if it was free.

Incidentally, if the cabinet is not zinc plated or galvanized under the paintwork you can expect rust to be more of a problem.........galvanizing would have to be a second op as it's difficult to seam weld with zinc present.

They zinc plate car bodies prior to painting so it's not something new.

On a build like this I would have (opted to have) made the cabinet from stainless steel...........that would be the bee's knees.,,,,,,you could spot weld it and epoxy seal it much better.
    Ian.

I am on my 4th Haas machine. The first 3 leaked from a dozen locations.

My latest - the Super Mini Mill has not dripped a drop since it arrived exactly 2 months ago. It apparently took Haas decades to figure out how to keep coolant in the machine.

Roadster, I just watched your cutting video. What's the noise on the axes? Pieters and Aaron's don't do that.

Roadster I'm curious. Did you ever measure the run out/alignment/spindle tram/bed flatness etc?

Hi sorry, Too busy at the moment.

Skyfire CNC owners?

No problem. I've already ordered anyway, just curiosity after the post/video a few pages back, which kicked off the whole gear thing.

As far as I can see he's the only person with a machine to report any real problems so far, minor niggles such as leaks etc excluded.

Now trying to buy a SkyFire VMC-2 with ATC.

Wrote a letter 3 days ago but there is no response yet.

Interesting in tapping a lot of M2.5 in 2024 alloy details - is it possible with they standart BT30 spindle? Anybody knows?

Thanks. Val.

The BT30 spindle should not be a limitation for M2.5 tapping. Not sure how tight the sync is on the motion control which is where the problems would likely be sourced. I use Techniks ANSI tap holders that are fantastic for rigid tapping on machines with reasonable but not perfect motion control doing small-ish tapping. I do 2mm all day and all night with no issues.

BTW - in aluminum, I exclusively use form taps.

Skyfire CNC owners?

Rigid tapping requires the servo driven spindle, which I think the svm2 comes with as standard equipment, and if you use the adtech it needs the 5 axis control if you ever wish to have a 4th axis. No idea why but that's the way they said it is.

It's about Chinese New Year time now isn't it? Might explain your lack of reply.

Page 13 of 18 31112131415