585,981 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 17 of 18 715161718

Skyfire CNC owners?

Quote Originally Posted by rustyh View Post
    Completely agree with that, and well put. Although I would rate the Syil above the skyfire, Skyfire is everything cheap as possible.

That why I suggested maybe seeing if you can pick up a secondhand Haas Mini mill, would completely out do these machines. Or a little XYZ mini mill
    Can’t argue with that but again the XYZ and HAAS mini mills are twice the size and twice the price. I think 100% of owners of these sort of machines have their hands tied either by available space, available power or budget, so just saying get a haas won’t apply.

The syil looks a lot more refined than skyfire but then you pay a lot more for it. Much bigger enclosure too so takes up more of the floor. But then, you get what you pay for and by all accounts by anyone who has bought a syil over the past year or so, they do just work without any of the **** you get with a skyfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Skyfire CNC owners?

I know this thread is old(ish) but as an owner that is making things with his Skyfire (admittedly not as much as I would like, but two small children take a lot of my free time) The Skyfire is a compromise machine. For me it was floor space in a garage but wanting servos and the Tormach MX series wasn't even a glimmer in anyones unannounced eyes at the time of order.

So far, I feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of my skyfire. She is about as good a machine as I expected.. I did expect her to be tuned when she arrived, but hey.. I learned how to tune Mill saddle and get her square and tram so that will be useful knowledge for the future :-).. If you go in expecting a flawless machine, prepare for disappointment.. If you go in expecting a hobby machine, then you will realize its a competent machine for a reasonably comparable price.. Would I have gone with it over a Tormach MX series? I don't know I really LOVE ClearPath servos by Teknic.. Maybe because I was able to get BT30 and 5hp spindle and ridged tapping for about 6 grand less than an 1100mx so....

Anyways, they aren't all piles of crap, though the experience of ordering them can be painful at times... Find a local distributor, work through them only... And best if the machine is in your country before ordering.. Just my two cents as an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyh View Post
    It's been that long I had forgot!!

It's an SVM2
    Do you still have your machine , currently on the look out to buy one.

I’m in Coventry so maybe local I assume if it’s still available that is.

Thanks

Almost 3 weeks......…..and we are waiting to see if you got the machine and what the problem was that wotsis name said he had that made it a heap of excrement.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Almost 3 weeks......…..and we are waiting to see if you got the machine and what the problem was that wotsis name said he had that made it a heap of excrement.
    Ian.
    looks like we maybe waiting longer, more luck with a tumble weed rollin by at this rate

I have a skyfire svm1. I am getting an error message 1043--Y servo driver alarm. Any ideas on how to resolve this, please dumb it down, I'm a novice, this is my first CNC. X and Z axis are working correctly.

Skyfire CNC owners?

Quote Originally Posted by allterrain50 View Post
    I have a skyfire svm1. I am getting an error message 1043--Y servo driver alarm. Any ideas on how to resolve this, please dumb it down, I'm a novice, this is my first CNC. X and Z axis are working correctly.
    Could be a number of issues. First thing you need to do is check the error message on the servo drive itself (not the 1043 error on the controller) which will point you in the right direction. Once you have that we should know where to look.

Chances are you have had a chip puncture the super soft and paper thin insulation on the cheap and nasty cable they use OR coolant has worked it’s into the completely unsuitable and dangerous PC molex connectors wrapped in electrical tape they use in a wet cutting environment.

But get that code.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Could be a number of issues. First thing you need to do is check the error message on the servo drive itself (not the 1043 error on the controller) which will point you in the right direction. Once you have that we should know where to look.

Chances are you have had a chip puncture the super soft and paper thin insulation on the cheap and nasty cable they use OR coolant has worked it’s into the completely unsuitable and dangerous PC molex connectors wrapped in electrical tape they use in a wet cutting environment.

But get that code.

Thanks, I'll see if I can work that out.

But get that code.

Error code Er.002 "over current of power device is detected"

Error code Er.002 "over current of power device is detected"
    What make and model is the servo drive?

It's a little hard to get a good look at it but I believe it is a lichuan 750w LCDB2-072002-LB822

Ok. Disconnect power. Test continuity with a multimeter between each wire on the 3 phases for the motor and earth (U, V, W, PE). See if there is a short.

If there is, pull the way covers off, disconnect the motor from the loom, should be 2 connectors 1 for power (4 wires) 1 for the encoder (15 wires I think). Test continuity between each pin on both the loom side and motor side to see which side it’s on. Also do a visual inspection of cable/connector etc. Could well be coolant inside the connector or worked it’s way into the motor housing itself.

Now would be a good time to replace both those connectors with proper IP67 or 68 rated waterproof connectors, whilst you’re at it.

Ok. Disconnect power. Test continuity with a multimeter between each wire on the 3 phases for the motor and earth (U, V, W, PE). See if there is a short.

If there is, pull the way covers off, disconnect the motor from the loom, should be 2 connectors 1 for power (4 wires) 1 for the encoder (15 wires I think). Test continuity between each pin on both the loom side and motor side to see which side it’s on. Also do a visual inspection of cable/connector etc. Could well be coolant inside the connector or worked it’s way into the motor housing itself.

Now would be a good time to replace both those connectors with proper IP67 or 68 rated waterproof connectors, whilst you’re at it.

there was a short between all three phases but not to earth. Just got to figure how to get to the motor and wiring. If I have to disconnect the servo motor from the ball screw is there anything I need to know. Not a lot of room in here to get at anything. There was a lot of aluminium swarf under the concertina cover before I cleaned it out. Is there a better type of cover available for them.

Attachment 424968

there was a short between all three phases but not to earth. Just got to figure how to get to the motor and wiring. If I have to disconnect the servo motor from the ball screw is there anything I need to know. Not a lot of room in here to get at anything. There was a lot of aluminium swarf under the concertina cover before I cleaned it out. Is there a better type of cover available for them.

Attachment 424968
    Looking at the photo if you undo the 4 capscrews around the motor flange holding the motor on, you can slide it straight out, you have a shaft coupling so very easy to do

Disconnect the motor power cable and the Encoder cable the 4 motor capscrews slide it out, must be a very poor quality servo motor to only last such a short time
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Looking at the photo if you undo the 4 capscrews around the motor flange holding the motor on, you can slide it straight out, you have a shaft coupling so very easy to do

Disconnect the motor power cable and the Encoder cable the 4 motor capscrews slide it out, must be a very poor quality servo motor to only last such a short time
    I get how it comes undone but you need to be a contortionist to get an allen key in there, managed after a bit of a struggle but at my age contorting like that is to be avoided . Need to make some custom tools for those small places or make a removable panel in the front of the cabinet which will let me straight at the fasteners. I don't know about the quality of the motor, I think it's more the positioning of the servo's wiring junction box and connectors at the lowest point of the machine, makes it susceptible to fluid ingress . If I lengthen the loom and turn the motor around 180 degrees, placing everything under a hood on top of and around the servo it should be much better.

ordered a new servo and drive from lichuan, didn't seem that expensive, having some spares can't hurt.

Attachment 425106

Sorry just seen the updates. Fred from BST automation will sell the motors separately at a competitive price without the drive. Very fast too. But having spares is no harm.

When you install the new motor make sure to make the connector properly waterproof to avoid it happening again. Take care and note of the wires, don’t mix them up.

Sorry just seen the updates. Fred from BST automation will sell the motors separately at a competitive price without the drive. Very fast too. But having spares is no harm.

When you install the new motor make sure to make the connector properly waterproof to avoid it happening again. Take care and note of the wires, don’t mix them up.

Thanks, not knowing my way around these systems yet, I went with identical parts from the same company that supplied skyfire, with an extended completed wiring loom. I my gut feeling is it's the location of the connectors (which I can fix) that's causing the unit to fail. Waterproofing everything certainly won't hurt. I don't mind having spare drives and motors, might want to build something as a way of increasing my knowledge base. Just got to wait for the spares to arrive.

y axis problem solved, changed out the servo motor and I now have a y axis again. The only potential problem is the limit stop. I would like to replace the existing one, which is in a very wet environment, with a more reliable one. Anyone have a part reference I can search for a replacement.
    Next project is to make a hood to better protect the electronics around the y axis from chips and coolant.
    Mal

y axis problem solved, changed out the servo motor and I now have a y axis again. The only potential problem is the limit stop. I would like to replace the existing one, which is in a very wet environment, with a more reliable one. Anyone have a part reference I can search for a replacement.
    Next project is to make a hood to better protect the electronics around the y axis from chips and coolant.
    Mal
    Panasonic GX-H8A, NPN. I changed all my home and limit sensors for those. As have most owners.

Page 17 of 18 715161718