585,685 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

floor thickness help

I am going to try posting this here? Im new here and looking for some advice on the thickness of a concrete floor needed. I purchased a used hurco bmc 4020 and am going to be putting this in my home garage shop. Directly after I bought the machine I called and talked to the local rigging company but they said that they do not think that my standard 4’’ thick garage floor will support the machine. The machine weighs 12,400 lbs. is any one able to answer this for me? If I have to I will hurry up and demo my garage floor to make it thicker but want to make sure it is necessary first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: floor thickness help

A lot of variables involved 4" of concrete on a good base will support it with no problem, if all the weight is in small areas i.e corners on 2" feet then I would consider putting pads under them to spread the weight a bit 9" square 6mm steel. But unless floor was laid using substandard materials by a bunch of cowboys I cannot see any reason it would not hold it with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    A lot of variables involved 4" of concrete on a good base will support it with no problem, if all the weight is in small areas i.e corners on 2" feet then I would consider putting pads under them to spread the weight a bit 9" square 6mm steel. But unless floor was laid using substandard materials by a bunch of cowboys I cannot see any reason it would not hold it with ease
    thank you for the response. ill give it a shot and i will get pads just for extra caution

If it's not reinforced with mesh or rebar, it will crack a 4", and riggers are afraid to move it in because it will be point loaded on the rollers as they move it in. Might want to think about a steel plate under the machine.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    If it's not reinforced with mesh or rebar, it will crack a 4",
    Having a degree in concrete tech, I can tell you that reinforcement such as mesh or rebar will not keep the concrete from cracking, it will just hold the concrete together where it does crack.

The real enemy is the vibration from the machine that will settle whatever material is underneath the concrete, and as it settles, the concrete loses support and cracks. 4in concrete does sound way too thin for a 12000lb machine.