585,997 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rooky mistake

Hi guys,
    I'm a noob here. I sent a out a part to be made.
    I sent both 3D drawing cad file and the diagrams of 3 views of the part.
    The part is modelled in Fusion360 and diagram is exported by Fusion360.

Then the part is made but flipped upside down. .
    I wonder what's common practice of handing out drawings? What views should I send out?
    The diagram shows top view, should I have sent out bottom view at which position the part is made in the machine?

Thanks!

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box2_v67_drawings.jpg  

Re: Rooky mistake

I'm not a machine shop but we do cnc parts on our router. I like to work with a plain DXF file to import into cam, a dimensioned version of the same so I can make sure the scale was correct, an iso view and 1 or serveral 3d iso renderings if possible so I 'get it'. Side views are sometime helpful but often they are so muddled as to be useless (like the one attached) and notes on the top view are better. But communication is also always key to make sure everyone is on the same page. It takes at least as long on my end making assumptions if the drawing is not super clear as it does just to go over them at the start.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    I'm not a machine shop but we do cnc parts on our router. I like to work with a plain DXF file to import into cam, a dimensioned version of the same so I can make sure the scale was correct, an iso view and 1 or serveral 3d iso renderings if possible so I 'get it'. Side views are sometime helpful but often they are so muddled as to be useless (like the one attached) and notes on the top view are better. But communication is also always key to make sure everyone is on the same page. It takes at least as long on my end making assumptions if the drawing is not super clear as it does just to go over them at the start.
    Thanks. I personally think 3D model .stp file would leave no ambiguity.
    But I may be wrong.
    Does 3D model file (.stp) save you setting up time? or DXF is the best?

Jeff

Well for me - and my shop - I can't read .stp files and a shop that can do this might not either so hence the DXF. I occasionally get people that think that too but unless they take the time to break out the parts well it can be a mess to look at another persons 3d file and try and get 2.5d information for machining. Now if I had 3d cam software it might be simple but I have the popular and relatively simple vectric vcarve pro and it cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    Well for me - and my shop - I can't read .stp files and a shop that can do this might not either so hence the DXF. I occasionally get people that think that too but unless they take the time to break out the parts well it can be a mess to look at another persons 3d file and try and get 2.5d information for machining. Now if I had 3d cam software it might be simple but I have the popular and relatively simple vectric vcarve pro and it cannot.
    Thanks for your insight. Good to know.I followed this guideline: Designing machined parts, How to design machined parts, CAD design ... pretty good.
    I'll pay more attention to the preferred drawing formats next time.

That's a great article. Thanks for posting the link.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk