585,779 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

End mill measurement method

I realized the dimensions on a part was out of spec and checked the responsible finish end mill. Sure enough the 1/4" EM diameter was actually .247". Using a caliper and carefully measuring across the cutters on a 2-flt cutter and realized it was somewhat subjective with a +/- .001, depending exactly where I called it. I took a scrap piece of delrin and ran a shallow slot in it and then measured the slot gap to achieve the .247" on the 1/4 EM. This seemed like a more accurate method and the recently cut part error matched the difference. I recall a earlier post about measuring a 3-flt EM but was unable to locate it.
    How do you guys measure up?
    -uman

Re: End mill measurement method

I would be tempted to put the endmill in a 90-degree V-block, then measure using a height gauge. Use a solid bar of the same nominal diameter as the tool to calibrate.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have the tormach granite block with tool setter. I just lay the tool on the block and measure diameter if needed. I have a 1/4" end mill that is .0005" oversize that I use as a reamer for dowel pins . Works great + I'm too cheap to buy a reamer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

See Above

Hi.....3 flute end mill measuring.....LOL.....try measuring a one flute one or the stick out of a tool in a fly cutter.

I measure the 3 flute type by laying it on a flat surface and rotating one of the flutes against a hard shoulder and a second hard shoulder on the opposite side to give the size/width between them.

A fly cutter is more difficult, but if you mount it in a drill chuck in the mill or just a drill press and rotate the shank with the tool tip against a hard block and with another hard block measuring the gap between the two faces you'll get the swing diam of the single point tool.

BTW.....how many people tolerate a run out on a cutter because they bought cheap collets......a .001" run out is .002" bigger on the cut diam/width than the marked or measured cutter size....don't ask me how I know.
    Ian.

I do it the easy way. I have a micrometer that will measure both 3 and 5 flute end mills.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

LOL.....good on you Steve.....now try the single flute carbide cutters.....
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    I took a scrap piece of delrin and ran a shallow slot in it and then measured the slot gap
    Would not the slot cut method account for the spindle and collet run-out as well as the cutter diameter and give the most accurate cutter dimension?
    This may be over kill since the caliper will measure plus or minus .001 for a radius of .0005". But may an option for an odd flute cutter.
    -uman

if the shank is on size , then put it in a holder in the spindle , dial the shank , set to zero , then dial the flutes to find the difference .
    Since it's unusual for a decent end mill to be undersized by that much , I'd check the calibration of the calipers first
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........