585,728 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: CarveOne's Veterans Park sign Project

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I am pretty sure it is sufficient. It lists 3/4 hp as minimum power.
    I have a 2hp compressor with a rather big tank and I can spray for several minutes before it turns on again.
    Ok good thanks.

Nice Job Carve and thanks for posting. One thing I have noticed here in Spartanburg is that Lowes/Home Depot no longer carries the Aged Oak Gel Stain (minwax) which is my favorite filler! Do you know of anyone still carrying the stuff. I hate to order from Amazon just due to shipping costs. I only order a quart at a time since I never know how much I'll be using over the course of a month. Supply and demand varies!
    Thanks for stopping over and seeing all your old buddies! How are things in the vectric gang?
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hi Bill,

The local Lowes has dropped all gel stain, and has very little liquid stains made by MinWax. I buy the General Finishes Java (dark roast coffee color) gel stain whenever I go to Raleigh, either at Klingspor Woodworking Shop or at Woodcraft. I get the small can because it gets thick and skims over before I use it up. The closest HD is 40 miles and I almost never go there, so I don't know what they normally have in stock. Seems like Lowes discontinues everything I have been buying for more than a year.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I used to like my lowes a few years ago but seems things have changed for the worse when menards opened up. Higher prices and limited selection as compared to menards. Lowes is closer to me. The spray can of minwax poly was almost $8. Seems a little pricey.

I get most of my woodworking supplies at woodcraft but it is 45minutes away. So that's once every couple of months.

I have a woodcraft about a half hour away but will be near it on Monday after an appointment in the area. I'll try the General Finishes Java if they have it. Don't know why but the aged oak minwax always works great. The other shades never seem to give the finish I was looking for. Thanks for the information guys.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Nice job on the sign.
    Wood neophyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Nice job on the sign.
    The Java gel stain is oil based. When it gets too thick I have had success with thinning it a little with paint thinner. It still dries ok, and I always apply a coat or two of polyurethane over it to seal it.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Page 2 of 2 12