585,712 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Foot Pedal for PDB ... how where does it plug in ?

Foot Pedal for PDB ... how where does it plug in ?

Received thefoot pedal kit for the PDB on my 1100 a while back , just now getting around to plugging it In . Cant seem to find docs for Pedal or PDB ...

Tried unplugging the little black pushbutton cord and plugging the pedal cord in the same socket ...that doesnt work.

Tormach s site shows the Pedal as out of stock and unavailable, all links to pedal documentation are dead

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Foot Pedal for PDB ... how where does it plug in ?

On a 770 the foot switch connects to the middle of the three unused RJ sockets that are inside the junction box that the solenoid valve is on.Attachment 318766

On my series II 1100, without ATC, the foot pedal plugs into the socket just to the right of the one labeled pendant in kstrauss's picture.
    Terry

kstrauss thanks for the picture and MF thanks for the pointer.... turned out by plugging in like yours worked for mine

Thanks
    Dave

*! PlEASE NOTE !* If you have installed a foot pedal and do not have an ATC there is an element of danger where one can release a tool while the spindle is turning. One might say "I just won't step on it" but things can and do happen. I can attest to the fact the tool can be released by this behavior.
    Following is a simple low, low cost fix. Courtesy of David A. from Idaho Tormach Users Group (ITUG). The ATC comes with an additional cable (VFD interconnect cable) with an RJ-11 plug which plugs into the last unmarked position in the photo provided earlier in this topic and on (page 8) of the ATC User manual Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items. The other end of this cable connects to the VFD as shown on (page 11) of the ATC User manual. Connecting this additional cable inhibits the Foot pedal or Push button from activating the Power Draw Bar (PDB) while the spindle is turning. I have urged Tormach to include this cable with instructions when selling the foot pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Chips View Post
    *! PlEASE NOTE !* If you have installed a foot pedal and do not have an ATC there is an element of danger where one can release a tool while the spindle is turning. One might say "I just won't step on it" but things can and do happen. I can attest to the fact the tool can be released by this behavior.
    Following is a simple low, low cost fix. Courtesy of David A. from Idaho Tormach Users Group (ITUG). The ATC comes with an additional cable (VFD interconnect cable) with an RJ-11 plug which plugs into the last unmarked position in the photo provided earlier in this topic and on (page 8) of the ATC User manual Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items. The other end of this cable connects to the VFD as shown on (page 11) of the ATC User manual. Connecting this additional cable inhibits the Foot pedal or Push button from activating the Power Draw Bar (PDB) while the spindle is turning. I have urged Tormach to include this cable with instructions when selling the foot pedal.
    I had the same problem a couple years ago, I installed a relay connected it to the vfd to kill the power to the pushbutton so that it wouldnt operate if the spindle was running, a bit different approach but accomplishes the same thing.

Murphys law: If it can happen it will happen sooner or later!!
    mike sr

...Following is a simple low, low cost fix. Courtesy of David A. from Idaho Tormach Users Group (ITUG). The ATC comes with an additional cable (VFD interconnect cable) with an RJ-11 plug which plugs into the last unmarked position in the photo provided earlier in this topic and on (page 8) of the ATC User manual Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items. The other end of this cable connects to the VFD as shown on (page 11) of the ATC User manual. Connecting this additional cable inhibits the Foot pedal or Push button from activating the Power Draw Bar (PDB) while the spindle is turning.
    This all sounds very familiar http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1247496

I have urged Tormach to include this cable with instructions when selling the foot pedal.
    In my opinion this cable should be included with the PDB but:

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    I called Tormach today and was told that it cant be done!
    Maybe they've changed their mind by now.
    Step

The cable basically goes from the Power Draw Bar control box at the top of the column to the VFD. The cable can be routed down through the column and into the control cabinet to the front of the VFD. The cable is a simple phone cord type of cable similar to the cable from the PDB push button switch.
    If one downloads the User Manual from the Tormach link I provided below and refers to the specific pages referenced it will be clear as to where the cable plugs in on each end.

fyi
    Tormach has published new install manuals for the pdb as of a few days ago in pdf format.
    Very nice to have the pdf file for that now. In the past the printed pages that come with the pdb was the only reference and they were hard to read.