585,992 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sintra alternative for Laser Cutting

Hello,
    We've had a universal 120 Watt laser since December. Prior we've only had a MultiCam CNC router. On the router we usually cut sintra but we would like to find an equivalent to cut with the laser since Sintra has PVC in it. I have tried acrylic and that cuts beautifully but its too brittle for our applications. I have also tried some polystyrene but that was way too smokey and it didn't like the heat so much. I just tried some 3mm ABS but the finish on that is less than desirable.

Can anyone suggest an alternative that has a nice finish and cuts well and of course not overly expensive? We usually use 1/8" thick material.

Thanks
    -Paul

Re: Sintra alternative for Laser Cutting

Look at Rowmark products

Yeah, hard to replace sintra and not sure why you would if you still have the router as its likely faster and cheaper.

Abs has a lot of variation so you might try another brand. I've also had some success with black arena board (aka puck board) but it gets sooty and needs a rinse. That's the only one I can think of that is cost comparable to sintra.

Petg cuts ok but edge is only so so and its maybe double or more to sintra price. Rowmark stuff is maybe 4x sintra price.

If I had your issue, I'd try and find an abs first. But both abs and arena board smoke and soot and increase maintenance on the laser.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

I have not tried it yet as my gas bottle is empty and out of date but wouldn't be the use of some inert welding gas be of help?
    The main reason for all the cutting problems with certain plastics is that they burn - if the welding gas would preven this the cut should be much better.
    And without burning the material the cleanup should be easier too.
    But it would require a well directed nozzle close to the surface...

In theory but unless you have a solenoid controlling the gas with the laser (and even then) I would imagine it's cost prohibitive.

Everyone talks about it but I've never heard of results.

I can only think that approach is for high value machining. My hunch is its not if it's using sintra now.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

The heat itself could be the issue, chemistry not my strong suit, not just burning.

Being curious, I have cut sintra on a regular co2 laser....I didn't think it cut well enough to be worth the hassle. Kerf was much larger than most materials due to it being a foam. Otherwise I suppose it was OK, and the kerf could be adjusted for, but if I was trying I would build a good vent system (like a separate liner and excellent air assist and venting to protecte your machine from the corrosive gas.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Btw, I would try ABS again, and try really pumping a lot of air at it, it helps the finish.

An update on this older thread, setting the power to about 50% helps too, same feedrate....then adjust as needed. Seems the other 50% is just re-charring the work or the first 50%, sorta....it's extra anyways