584,842 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: spoil board

spoil board

Hi.
    From what I see everywhere on you tube etc etc MDF seems to be the material of choice for spoilboards.

What are the advantage/s it has over ply?

Is the installation of a grid of threaded inserts worth the time over the T Track idea?

I'm new.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Re: spoil board

Doesn't splinter I suppose but main reason for a bunch of them is that air (vacuum) flows through it so you can use it as a flat resurfacable table. Plywood wouldn't resurface that well either.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

The biggest advantage I see in using MDF is that once it is surfaced and you start using it it gets all kind of tracks milled in it and if I want, I can resurface any time over and over again, until it is too thin to work with. You can also use ordinary screws, without threaded inserts, if only light material needs to be fixed. Those screws destroy the surface, so the board must be resurfaced .You can't do that with plywood.

I didn't install a grid of threaded inserts, but installed them where I know I'll need them. If I need new threaded inserts somewhere else I just remove the board from the T-slot table below and drill the holes necessary fro the new inserts. BTW, I don't think you can use threaded inserts in plywood, can you?

Thanks for the tips...
    When an MDF spoilboard is fly cut, do you put any protectant on the 'raw' surface? like lacquer or shellac to prevent warping if splashed with water of the like?

Quote Originally Posted by RobSm View Post
    Thanks for the tips...
    When an MDF spoilboard is fly cut, do you put any protectant on the 'raw' surface? like lacquer or shellac to prevent warping if splashed with water of the like?
    Not if you are running vacuum through it, as that would seal it up to air. Otherwise I guess you could.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by RobSm View Post
    Thanks for the tips...
    I can't use fly cutter, but no, I don't put anything on it. On the other hand, I don't use any coolant, but even if I would, I would probably not do it. I think it is better to keep it as it is, now and then surface it when necessary and make a new one when it becomes useless.