585,670 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > How do you do error detection when you are using a stepper motor?

How do you do error detection when you are using a stepper motor?

I am working on a project where I have to use two stepper motors. I need to do error detection so that I can correct it. Lets say that I want to rotate part of a machine x amount of degrees but it rotates a little more than X due to rotational inertia. How do I detect this kind of error so that I can correct it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stepper motor.jpg  

Re: How do you do error detection when you are using a stepper motor?

Quote Originally Posted by willamwang View Post
    I am working on a project where I have to use two stepper motors. I need to do error detection so that I can correct it. Lets say that I want to rotate part of a machine x amount of degrees but it rotates a little more than X due to rotational inertia. How do I detect this kind of error so that I can correct it?
    Are you sure it is inertia? My guess is that in that case you have too high speed. How to detect this depends on what kind of knowledge you have... I mean, do you have instruments to measure and count the number of steps? Try slowing it down and check that it rotates a full circle after 200 steps in full step mode, no microstepping. This you can do manually, by marking the axis and check the motor visually. It works if you have large errors, but for small errors you need to measure the signals and count the pulses. If what you see is OK then increase the speed and check where you start seeing problems. Still, if you suspect extra steps you must be sure that the number of pulses are the number of steps needed and that the quality of those pulses are what is required, i.e. no noise caused extra steps and the amplitude, rise and fall times are right. You need to have an oscilloscope for this, and that is not sold in every supermarket. Anyway, as I said, it depends on what your capabilities are, visual checking is the first step.