585,660 active members*
3,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement
Page 1 of 4 123

Exclamation WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement

Yesterday I upgraded the PathPilot software to v1.9.5 on my new 440. I also installed the supported Dropbox at the same time.

With the Tormach Wireless Network Adapter installed the PathPilot screen will randomly freeze, and
    THE SPINDLE WILL ENGAGE TO 10,000RPM

This seems to only happen when the WiFi adapter is plugged in to a USB port (any USB port).
    I replicated this five times, and it usually happens within 10 minutes on its own, or when you are recording tool height offsets using the USB height gauge.
    I am not sure if it is part of the equation, but I also am using the touch screen too.

I am just thankful I didn't have my Haimer in the spindle at the time.

I have already reported this to Tormach this AM.

Hope this helps someone out!

WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement

Hmm... I've been using Tormach's wireless network adapter with PP 1.9.5 on my 1100 since it was first released, and a week ago just figured out how to install the DropBox option. I love it - it works very well, and I've had no problems with it.. Anyone else?
    Oh, and I do use Tormach's touchscreen as well; I've had problems with the USB connection for recording tool heights, so I don't use that-just fat-finger my settings directly into PP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement

I wonder if it might be a 440 issue due to different internals?

Sounds a bit like a hardware issue to me (with the PC or maybe WIFI adapter)

That is what Tormach thought as well. They are sending me a new WiFi adapter on Monday, and I will send the one I have now back for testing. It hasn't happened since I took the WiFi out this AM.

Hello Gerry,

Would you be able to give s a play by play on how to get the drop box feature working? I'm not very familiar with LINUX.

Regards,

Pete

I think that section 3.8 of the user manual for your mill will give you the details you need.

Manuals are at: Tormach Product Manuals | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

JW

The good news is that you don't have to know anything about LINUX to get DropBox running on PathPilot 1.9.5. The main thing is that you have to download & install the DropBox software onto your PathPilot controller. The procedure is documented in the release notes for PP v1.9.5 You can download the notes here :
    http://www.tormach.com/uploads/1005/...0316A-pdf.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Gerry and JW for your replies! Really appreciate it.

Pete

I thought I would post an update. Tormach sent me a new WiFi adapter, and the problem continued. Tormach then sent me a new computer, and even with the new computer the spindle still engages on its own along with freezing up the computer. This ONLY HAPPENS when the WiFi is connected. For the record I got a real lemon of a PCNC 440. In less than a month I have had to replace the Leadshine and some fuses as well as having to deal with this issue. The good thing is that I am already making money with the 440. The awesome part, and the reason I am not seeing red, is that Tormach has great customer service! I have had no one at Tormach try to pass the buck or hesitate to help. So even with having gotten a lemon I am happy with my investment in a Tormach simply because of the customer service.

I wonder if this problem will effect an 1100? Anyone else have this issue on their 440? So to clarify, the problem seems related to the wifi adapter or is it using the Dropbox part of it or both? Not sure about the 440, but the 1100 one can use spindle lockout or put the spindle on manual mode if you got something like a Haimer loaded. I'm hoping this problem is isolated to your machine.

I do not think it is affecting anyone but me. I really think I got a lemon. I have had to replace parts on the machine, and now I need to trouble shoot my door safety switch! From what I hear no one else is having this issue. I do not know if it is a Dropbox or a WiFi issue. What I do know is when the WiFi adapter is not inserted I have no issues. I do a lot of machining so using Dropbox is a real convenance that I want to utilize! The 440 spindle is only controlled through the software so no manual mode that I know of.

I just encountered this same problem on my brand new 440, 1.9.6 PathPilot. Its scary as hell and its good my hands were nowhere near the cutter when this happened. I replicated it 3 times before I removed WiFi adapter and it stopped happening. This is huge safety issue with the machine and I do not know why Tormach is not all over it. Its lawsuit waiting to happen.

I should add that I used this Wi-Fi USB adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU/ since that is what I had on hand, but I don't think adapter would have made a difference. What is scary about this is that I was about to install SuperFly and do work setup underneath and if it happened just couple of seconds later my hands would be setting up piece under SuperFly when damn thing started at 10000 RPMs.

I did not realize or thought that this might happened but this is really serious safety issue and if WiFi adapter managed to trigger sudden spindle engagement something else will be able to do it as well. I am going to investigate how to install physical OFF switch for spindle since I do not trust machine anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    I am going to investigate how to install physical OFF switch for spindle since I do not trust machine anymore.
    An easy way to do that now is to open the spindle door. That secures power to the VFD, or at least it does on the 770 and 1100. I don't have a 440 wiring diagram (can't believe Tormach still hasn't published that manual electronically) to check.

I don't see the "un-commanded spindle engagement" in the bug list on the path pilot website. I recommend you submit it to their bug tracking list.

http://www.tormach.com/pathpilot_tracking.html#issues

I would also recommend you phone them and tell them, since this is a huge liability issue.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

The 770 and 1100 can lock out the spindle via the door interlock switch or the key switch designated spindle lockout. In the old 770 manual, Tormach recommended using the spindle lockout switch when changing the belt, collet, or TTS tool holder. The new manual, shipped with PathPilot, doesn't seem to discuss the use of the spindle lockout switch.

I frequently will change the fixtures when running a program and it is a good idea to defeat the spindle operation then as well.

When I am using my dial indicator or microscope in the spindle, always engage the physical spindle lock as well. That way, I can be sure the spindle can't move.

Coffeetek, Tormach is all over it. They have been working with me diligently for over a month. They have even written special software so that we can decode what is going on. We have spent countless hours on this, and I would give them the benefit of the doubt. While this is a real issue what it has shown me is that Tormach really does care about the user beyond the sale. I'll keep everyone posted.

Edit: I just pasted and copied your original post to the email thread going on between me and Tormach. For what it is worth, since the original post date of this thread the spindle has never engaged with the WiFi not inserted. Also it isn't your computer (most likely) Tormach replaced my PathPilot and WiFi as a means to eliminate possibilities.

I checked my 1100 in both Rapidturn mode and mill mode, and the spindle did not come on uncommanded with the wifi adapter connected to my network. I do not have Dropbox on the controller.

"I checked my 1100 in both Rapidturn mode and mill mode, and the spindle did not come on uncommanded with the wifi adapter connected to my network. I do not have Dropbox on the controller."

This issue only happens with Dropbox AND the WiFi inserted.

I also think it is only localized to the 440.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDawg View Post
    Coffeetek, Tormach is all over it. They have been working with me diligently for over a month. They have even written special software so that we can decode what is going on. We have spent countless hours on this, and I would give them the benefit of the doubt. While this is a real issue what it has shown me is that Tormach really does care about the user beyond the sale. I'll keep everyone posted.

Edit: I just pasted and copied your original post to the email thread going on between me and Tormach. For what it is worth, since the original post date of this thread the spindle has never engaged with the WiFi not inserted. Also it isn't your computer (most likely) Tormach replaced my PathPilot and WiFi as a means to eliminate possibilities.
    I really do hope so, this is dangerous stuff. I will be honest with you, I do not trust machine anymore. I will find a way to install physical switch to be able to interrupt spindle power supply myself for piece of mind. I have sent Tormach support email and offered to help in any way I can.

Page 1 of 4 123