585,556 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: WARNING - PathPilot Upgrade Issue - Sudden Spindle Engagement

The door safety switch on my 440 doesn't work. Did you ever get that working, MetalDawg?

Well... This is great, now my 440 is dead...

Yeah this is not s good deal for the new 440 owner! I try to keep all of my machine tools away from any sort of networking just for stability reasons...though lately that is approaching an impossibility due to the ever expanding IOT. Even using a USB drive worries me these days. Heck the "coalition" knocked out Iran's "would-be" nuke program following a virus propagation model via USB LOL. I am really interested in how controls engineers are meeting SIL level 4 design requirements if any of their components are subject to networking and/or OEM service back doors.

My 440 died the second time I used it. It wouldn't come out of estop and the dc power supply at the back was reading 3V instead of 48V. Turns out back EMF from a stepper motor took out one of the drivers, causing it to short. Tormach promptly sent me a warranty replacement driver and I was back up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by mattz0r View Post
    My 440 died the second time I used it. It wouldn't come out of estop and the dc power supply at the back was reading 3V instead of 48V. Turns out back EMF from a stepper motor took out one of the drivers, causing it to short. Tormach promptly sent me a warranty replacement driver and I was back up and running again.
    Well as it will be I was trying to use it for second time to cut the part. Something burned out electronic wise, I first noticed that it would not REF on any axis, it would hit limit switch but not back off and it ends stuck there. Happens on X, Y and Z. Then it died, the fan on top does not spin anymore and you cannot bring it out of e-stop... This totally stinks. Should have bought 770...

Does it have any safety fuses inline?
    Lee

[QUOTE=coffeetek;1906784This totally stinks. Should have bought 770...[/QUOTE]

Hang in there Tormach will take care of you.

If I was a betting man, I would say that the 3 amp fuse (F3) that provides control power is blown. Check all three fuses (20, 3, 6). Of course, if this is the case, that is probably just a symptom of a different problem.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Hang in there Tormach will take care of you.

If I was a betting man, I would say that the 3 amp fuse (F3) that provides control power is blown. Check all three fuses (20, 3, 6). Of course, if this is the case, that is probably just a symptom of a different problem.
    Thank you. All fuses check out OK. There is something burning in there since I can see some smoke and burnt electronics smell coming out. The Leadshine controller does not light up and its heating up so that might be whats burning out... Unfortunately really bad experience as I had lot of work I needed done over next few days.

Yup, Leadshine MX3660 burned out, it is what is smoking when machine is powered on. Damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    Yup, Leadshine MX3660 burned out, it is what is smoking when machine is powered on. Damn it.
    Yep, same problem as me then. It is easy to switch out when they send you a replacement as the connectors the wires screw into can be unplugged. They're actively working to find the source of the problem and should warranty replace everyone's drives once they have a solid fix.

Yep, same problem as me then. It is easy to switch out when they send you a replacement as the connectors the wires screw into can be unplugged. They're actively working to find the source of the problem and should warranty replace everyone's drives once they have a solid fix.
    That does not sound good, were you able to use machine after replacement or is it sitting?

I have killed unkillable Gecko drives with inrush current. I am the cause that they state in the manual to never install a switch on the DC side of a PS. Always the AC side.
    Are these DC or AC drives?
    How is the power up switching done?
    Lee

That does not sound good, were you able to use machine after replacement or is it sitting?
    Yep the machine worked fine after replacement. I haven't run any parts yet as I'm still building my enclosure, but the machine turns on/off and travels fine.I guess just a small number of people are having this problem, so a replacement drive should hold up fine, but they probably still want to replace all drives once they have a more robust solution.

Yep the machine worked fine after replacement. I haven't run any parts yet as I'm still building my enclosure, but the machine turns on/off and travels fine.I guess just a small number of people are having this problem, so a replacement drive should hold up fine, but they probably still want to replace all drives once they have a more robust solution.
    Well, since I need to make lot of parts, once I start using it, it will burn out again if there is a problem. I did my research before I purchased and this problem did not show up on my radar. I wish I knew, I would not have bought the machine. I need it to do work. I don't need it so I can work on it. I don't think this machine is ready for prime time.

Leadshine are quality drivers. It is not like Tormach went cheap in building this.

I think they went with the integrated MX3660 solution as it makes it easier to troubleshoot and repair (machine doesn't work? Replace the MX 3660 vs. replace the BOB, interconnecting wiring, individual drivers, etc).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Leadshine are quality drivers. It is not like Tormach went cheap in building this.

I think they went with the integrated MX3660 solution as it makes it easier to troubleshoot and repair (machine doesn't work? Replace the MX 3660 vs. replace the BOB, interconnecting wiring, individual drivers, etc).
    I hope so, but someone somewhere went cheap since there should not be so many failures on quality drivers. We have 3 failures in this thread alone of total of 80 machines they sold. And how many we don't know about? Something is not right here... I hope they take care of me and machine then works so I can make parts I need to make. Otherwise I don't know what to do after spending over $10k with them... I am really upset.

The door safety switch on my 440 doesn't work. Did you ever get that working, MetalDawg?
    To be honest I just assumed it wasn't working because the LED on the screen didn't light up. In retrospect there isn't a door safety switch LED on the PathPilot screen. I have never actually tried to turn on the spindle with the door open. I will try that tomorrow. What would lead you to believe that there is a spindle door safety switch LED on PathPilot is actually a placeholder for a door safety switch that is a planned upgrade later for the main doors to the work area per Tormach.

I hope so, but someone somewhere went cheap since there should not be so many failures on quality drivers. We have 3 failures in this thread alone of total of 80 machines they sold. And how many we don't know about? Something is not right here... I hope they take care of me and machine then works so I can make parts I need to make. Otherwise I don't know what to do after spending over $10k with them... I am really upset.
    Right after I got my 440 my machine stopped working as well. They replaced the Leadshine, and they replaced the power supply as well. Since then I have replaced the 6A fuse several times (the spindle fuse). If you push the spindle too hard you will blow it. Take that with a grain of salt. I was really trying to find the upper limit of how fast I could cut with different cutters. When I keep my feeds and speeds reasonable I haven't had a failure. However, if you accidentally drive a cutter into the material too fast (plunging too) and you do not hit the e-stop fast enough it is advisable to have those fuses on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDawg View Post
    Right after I got my 440 my machine stopped working as well. They replaced the Leadshine, and they replaced the power supply as well. Since then I have replaced the 6A fuse several times (the spindle fuse). If you push the spindle too hard you will blow it. Take that with a grain of salt. I was really trying to find the upper limit of how fast I could cut with different cutters. When I keep my feeds and speeds reasonable I haven't had a failure. However, if you accidentally drive a cutter into the material too fast (plunging too) and you do not hit the e-stop fast enough it is advisable to have those fuses on hand.
    Thank you for heads up. I will make sure I have those fuses on hand. This all sounds to me like machine was rushed to the market and its not ready. I am seriously regretting buying it. Its sitting now in garage, useless, after spending all that money and it will sit for week or two while I wait for them to ground ship replacement parts... And I did not even manage to cut a single part from acetal before it went up in smoke... I will give them opportunity to make it right for me and then I will use machine as intended. If I have more burnouts I will pursue full refund using all means available.

My machinists friends that run professional machine shop advised me not to get Tormach and wait to find used Haas for little more money... I should have listened to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDawg View Post
    Since then I have replaced the 6A fuse several times (the spindle fuse). If you push the spindle too hard you will blow it.
    BLDC spindle motor controllers have been the Achilles heel of a number of machines. I was hoping that Tormach had got this one right, but sounds like they might be having some developmental issues.
    Tim

Page 2 of 4 1234