585,702 active members*
4,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linuxcnc on Windows Computer?

Hi guys I'm thinking about going with Linuxcnc and I have read about it being installed on a Windows computer.
    Is this a bad idea or will it work ok. I know that the reason most go to Linuxcnc is because Mach3/4 is not stable because of Windows.
    Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Mike

Re: Linuxcnc on Windows Computer?

I am certainly not the expert, but I have never heard of this. I assume you mean installed on a computer running Windows O/S. LinuxCNC needs a real time kernel and that is something Windows cannot provide that I am aware of.

Now, if you mean a computer that can run Windows, you can generally install Linux/LinuxCNC on that hardware. Laptops are a bad idea, but I have read of others doing it... It seems best to install LinuxCNC on a spare hard drive and after installation, see if the hardware can pass the timing test which is included with the LinuxCNC package.

HTH
    Paul

You can't install Linuxcnc on Windows, only on Linux.

While you cannot install LinuxCNC on the Windows operating system you can install it on a computer that currently has Windows installed by making it dual boot Windows and Linux. This can be accomplished with the ISO download from the LinuxCNC.org website. When installing you will make a separate partition for the Linux installation on the hard drive or install a second hard drive in the computer just for the Linux OS.

If I recall correctly you actually can install ubuntu linux on a windows pc and run it inside windows but do not take my word for it. I think it is called wubi installer something.

And you can indeed install linux on a pc that has windows installed already, where the linux installer moves the windows section to the side.

If you are able to install linux inside windows you probably can NOT use it for cnc.
    Here comes the important bit:

Linuxcnc uses a so called real time kernel that allow specific tasks to take priority over other tasks, which gives the cnc part a very dependable timing, and thus a stable base to run a cnc.
    Windows does not offer that and requires extra hardware to run the timing-sensitive bits.
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

You could For Test create an linuxcnc USB Stick to boot from but that requires an extra pc or harddisk to Do so so might only make Sense of you Need to Test a lot i would to For Dual Boot As i have done on my old Windows pc but Never changed back to Windows if i now Break a. Miller it is my fault -

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Ok thanks for all the comments guys.
    I'm going to install it on my old laptop to try and see if I can figure it out before I put it on my cnc computer.
    Again thanks for all your help.