509,882 active members
4,274 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Open source low cost servomotor controller
Page 2 of 12 1234
Results 13 to 24 of 141
  1. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Macdowswe,

    Very nice, clean looking board.

    Please keep us in the loop, there are many interested users here.

    Welcome to the Zone,

    Jeff...
    Cheers! Thanks! I will keep you up to date.

  2. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1397

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

  3. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    No problem. The design files are in Altium Designer. There is also a PDF in that folder. Here is a direct link: https://github.com/madcowswe/Servo/b...two_ax_PCB.PDF
    Cheers (:

  4. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Hey everyone,
    There is now an update about board availability and the roadmap for the ODrive features on the project page.
    If you are interested in getting an ODrive board, you should check it out.
    Cheers!

  5. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3912

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger

  6. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger
    Yeah ;D
    This is not a continuous rating, but peak rating. The continuous rating will be significantly less than that.
    But it is the peak rating that is important, as the the torque peaks only during the first bit of acceleration in a move, and the last bit of deceleration. If you are using the torque to push continuously into a workpiece, the system should be dimensioned such that you would use much less current for that.

  7. #19
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Im impressed! This is a wonderful project! About time someone did this! You could also use this for force feedback in flying and racing simulations!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #20
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    102

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .

  9. #21
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .
    Yeah, the encoders plug into the top right part of the board.

  10. #22
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

    I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.

  11. #23
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    41

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassing View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

    I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.
    Yes, this should be quite straightforward with ODrive. I already plan to do automatic machine mass/friction identification, and to use model based feed-forward for most of the control action. So it should be possible to look at the tracking error to identify if there are any major disturbance forces, and hence take action.

    The ABB YuMi robot, that I was working on a few years ago, has a similar feature.

  12. #24
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1938

    Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

    I am very interested in this project. I have seen your videos and they are pretty impressive. I can see how it already could be applied to smaller machines such as 3D printers and small routers. I have a benchtop milling machine and was wondering if you have tried this on larger machines. Also, does this take step direction signals like a typical stepper motor driver, or some other method.

Page 2 of 12 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  2. Smoothie CNC controller, Open Source.
    By Rolf_K in forum General Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 07:41 PM
  3. CNC Controller with Arduino - open source
    By Christian Knüll in forum Open Source Controller Boards
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
  4. Open Source CNC Controller Specification
    By gregmary in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 04:58 AM
  5. BEST Open source Controller ?
    By Seventeen in forum Open Source Controller Boards
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 12:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •