509,882 active members
4,274 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Open source low cost servomotor controller
Page 2 of 12 1234
    Registered

Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Macdowswe,

Very nice, clean looking board.

Please keep us in the loop, there are many interested users here.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Cheers! Thanks! I will keep you up to date.

Registered

Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    No problem. The design files are in Altium Designer. There is also a PDF in that folder. Here is a direct link: https://github.com/madcowswe/Servo/b...two_ax_PCB.PDF
    Cheers (:

Registered

Hey everyone,
    There is now an update about board availability and the roadmap for the ODrive features on the project page.
    If you are interested in getting an ODrive board, you should check it out.
    Cheers!

150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger
    Yeah ;D
    This is not a continuous rating, but peak rating. The continuous rating will be significantly less than that.
    But it is the peak rating that is important, as the the torque peaks only during the first bit of acceleration in a move, and the last bit of deceleration. If you are using the torque to push continuously into a workpiece, the system should be dimensioned such that you would use much less current for that.

Registered

Im impressed! This is a wonderful project! About time someone did this! You could also use this for force feedback in flying and racing simulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .
    Yeah, the encoders plug into the top right part of the board.

Registered

Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassing View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.
    Yes, this should be quite straightforward with ODrive. I already plan to do automatic machine mass/friction identification, and to use model based feed-forward for most of the control action. So it should be possible to look at the tracking error to identify if there are any major disturbance forces, and hence take action.

The ABB YuMi robot, that I was working on a few years ago, has a similar feature.

Registered

I am very interested in this project. I have seen your videos and they are pretty impressive. I can see how it already could be applied to smaller machines such as 3D printers and small routers. I have a benchtop milling machine and was wondering if you have tried this on larger machines. Also, does this take step direction signals like a typical stepper motor driver, or some other method.

Page 2 of 12 1234