584,826 active members*
5,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Open source low cost servomotor controller
Page 1 of 8 123

Open source low cost servomotor controller

Hey guys,
    I would just like to announce my project, called Odrive. It is an open source high performance brushless servomotor controller, meant to be used with cheap hobby motors. It has 2 axes per board, and allows chaining multiple boards for more axes.
    Let me know if you are interested in development, or want to get your hands on some early hardware.
    Cheers!

Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

Now posted design, no posted software, no real description of features and functionality, kinda hard to have interest in a project with no content.

Quote Originally Posted by websrvr View Post
    Now posted design, no posted software, no real description of features and functionality, kinda hard to have interest in a project with no content.
    Sorry if it was confusing, the details of the project is in the link attached to the word Odrive in the original post. I can give the link explicitly here:
    https://hackaday.io/project/11583-od...-motor-control
    Cheers.

Are you the creator of this work?

Since the project is being developed elsewhere, why is it being cross-posted here?

Are you the creator of this work?

Since the project is being developed elsewhere, why is it being cross-posted here?
    Yeah I am. I thought it would be interesting to reach out to this community too. Especially since I see the type of machines that will benefit the most are heavy machines that need high precision.
    I was hoping to engage in a fruitful discussion on this forum about the project.

Cheers!

I'm curious to know how you came into the 150A or 75A current specification since all the PCB software I have access too tells me 30A on 4oz stopped copper is the best you can hope for.

I'm curious to know how you came into the 150A or 75A current specification since all the PCB software I have access too tells me 30A on 4oz stopped copper is the best you can hope for.
    Well, first of all this is peak current, it will for sure not cope with 150A continuous current. Also, I think I can get a fair bit of extra heat dissipation through the heatsink on the mosfets, and down the phase wires. In the end, only testing will show what the capabilities truly are. If it turns out that it is too weak for a number of CNC applications, then it should be fairly easy to increase current capability by just increasing the size of the board and mosfets.

As I understand it, v3 doesn't exist yet? Are the design files available for v2?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    As I understand it, v3 doesn't exist yet? Are the design files available for v2?
    I have a v3 on my desk atm, see attached picture. I am currently doing some basic tests to make sure that the hardware design is functional. When I have ascertained that that is the case, I will help people get their hands on some v3 boards.

Nevertheless, all the design files are available here:

• v3 Firmware is here
    • v3 Board design is here
    • v2 Firmware is here
    • v2 FPGA logic is here
    • v2 Board design is here

Cheers!

The motors you show are open to chips getting in. Have you built a covering for them and do they not overheat with a cover.

Macdowswe,

Very nice, clean looking board.

Please keep us in the loop, there are many interested users here.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    The motors you show are open to chips getting in. Have you built a covering for them and do they not overheat with a cover.
    Yeah they are open. I was thinking of making a shroud that houses a motor/encoder assembly, and that has an air inlet with an intake filter, and a fan for forced air cooling. This can probably increase the performance at low speeds fairly significantly since the motors own air cooling doesn't work unless they are spinning at high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Macdowswe,

Very nice, clean looking board.

Please keep us in the loop, there are many interested users here.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Cheers! Thanks! I will keep you up to date.

Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Thanks for pointing to the files... I can't seem to find a Schematic for v3.... what format are those design files in? Is there a pdf or png of the Schematic that I'm missing?
    No problem. The design files are in Altium Designer. There is also a PDF in that folder. Here is a direct link: https://github.com/madcowswe/Servo/b...two_ax_PCB.PDF
    Cheers (:

Hey everyone,
    There is now an update about board availability and the roadmap for the ODrive features on the project page.
    If you are interested in getting an ODrive board, you should check it out.
    Cheers!

150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    150A or 75A current through that PCB those FETs, those wires and those connectors?
    Really?????
    Cheers
    Roger
    Yeah ;D
    This is not a continuous rating, but peak rating. The continuous rating will be significantly less than that.
    But it is the peak rating that is important, as the the torque peaks only during the first bit of acceleration in a move, and the last bit of deceleration. If you are using the torque to push continuously into a workpiece, the system should be dimensioned such that you would use much less current for that.

Im impressed! This is a wonderful project! About time someone did this! You could also use this for force feedback in flying and racing simulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .

Page 1 of 8 123