584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Lakeshore Carbide corner radius endmill
Page 1 of 2 12

Lakeshore Carbide corner radius endmill

Has anyone used Lakeshore's .500 diameter x .125 Corner radius variable flute endmill on their Tormach?

variable flute end mill for aluminum

I bought the standard helix (30 degree) 4 flute version a few years back and it chatters badly on all but the lightest cuts (no more than .030 DOC)
    Wondering if the variable flute works well in aluminum and don't want to pay $60 to find out.

Re: Lakeshore Carbide corner radius endmill

What are the rest of the cutting conditions, in what material? (Steel I presume, but is that true?) Which mill?

GLCarlson,
    Thanks for the reply. My intention is not to start another thread on appropriate feeds, speeds, doc, woc. I want to know if someone has used the endmill that I provided the link for on a Tormach 1100 (or 770). .500 dia. variable helix designed for aluminum with a .125 corner radius.

You seem to be assuming that the chatter you saw its attributable to the end mill. Without knowing the rest of the cutting conditions that is impossible.
    Give lakeshore a call. I'm sure they will be able to tell you whether the tool you are consisting is appropriate for your purpose.

I've used the 3 flute ZRN coated for LSC, and they work well, but for 1/2 the cost you can get YG-1 alupower end mills uncoated and very sharp. They leave a beautiful surface finish. I get them through suncoast tools. I do think LSC makes the best chamfer/drill mills.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I used Mari tools large 1/2" (for 3/16" radius) in lots of aluminum and it did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I've used the 3 flute ZRN coated for LSC, and they work well, but for 1/2 the cost you can get YG-1 alupower end mills uncoated and very sharp. They leave a beautiful surface finish. I get them through suncoast tools. I do think LSC makes the best chamfer/drill mills.

I also use the YG-1 AluPower end mills, and to date they are the best cutting end mills I have ever found with one exception and a Tormach doesn't have the horsepower or the rigidity to effectively use that other end mill.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Are you using the 3-flute or 2-flute YG-1 Alupower endmills? I only see TiCN coated ones rather than uncoated (YG-1: BEST VALUE IN THE WORLD OF CUTTING TOOLS ) or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post

Have you used the YG-1 1/2" with .120 corner radius or the square end?

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Has anyone used Lakeshore's .500 diameter x .125 Corner radius variable flute endmill on their Tormach?

variable flute end mill for aluminum

I bought the standard helix (30 degree) 4 flute version a few years back and it chatters badly on all but the lightest cuts (no more than .030 DOC)
    Wondering if the variable flute works well in aluminum and don't want to pay $60 to find out.

I use this same end mill. 1.125 DOC with adaptive clearing, like all of his end mills very much.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Have you used the YG-1 1/2" with .120 corner radius or the square end?
    Just the square end so far, but radius edge should be less likely to chip an edge, although I haven't had any edge chipping using the square type,

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Are you using the 3-flute or 2-flute YG-1 Alupower endmills? I only see TiCN coated ones rather than uncoated (YG-1: BEST VALUE IN THE WORLD OF CUTTING TOOLS ) or am I missing something?
    Try here.

https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/VendorPages.aspx?Vendor=YG1CuttingTools#product-list

I've used a variety of Lakeshore Carbide 0.5" end mills, but I'm not sure sure I've used that exact end mill. I tried a Shars ZrN high helix end mill on a whim one time and haven't looked back. I happened to be recording a video the first time I used one so I'll post the link below. These end mills aren't cheap either, but since Shars sells so many items you might "save" a little by throwing them in with another order. They leave a phenomenal finish on the floor. I attribute the performance gain on the helix mostly, but I suppose it's also possible that Shars has some kind of fancy grinding ability. 0.125 is a hell of a radius, too much for what I am usually doing, but that's just me.

Oh, I was using a Novakon Torus Pro at the time, but I figure it's similar enough to the PCNC1100 that you can expect similar results.

Link to the Shars mill: 1/2 SE 3 Flute Radius 0.040 45 Helix ZIRCONIUM NITRIDE Solid Carbide End Mill For Aluminum - End Mills - Cutting Tool - Products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNkCqthtog

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    I've used a variety of Lakeshore Carbide 0.5" end mills, but I'm not sure sure I've used that exact end mill. I tried a Shars ZrN high helix end mill on a whim one time and haven't looked back. I happened to be recording a video the first time I used one so I'll post the link below. These end mills aren't cheap either, but since Shars sells so many items you might "save" a little by throwing them in with another order. They leave a phenomenal finish on the floor. I attribute the performance gain on the helix mostly, but I suppose it's also possible that Shars has some kind of fancy grinding ability. 0.125 is a hell of a radius, too much for what I am usually doing, but that's just me.

Oh, I was using a Novakon Torus Pro at the time, but I figure it's similar enough to the PCNC1100 that you can expect similar results.

Link to the Shars mill: 1/2 SE 3 Flute Radius 0.040 45 Helix ZIRCONIUM NITRIDE Solid Carbide End Mill For Aluminum - End Mills - Cutting Tool - Products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNkCqthtog

Based on that vid that looks like you found a great end mill. Ive tried many 1/2"ers and i always have bad chatter almost no matter what settings. I'll have to try that guy out.

According to Shars web site, some of their cutters are made in the USA. It would be interesting to find who makes them.

Quote Originally Posted by s2jesse View Post
    Ive tried many 1/2"ers and i always have bad chatter almost no matter what settings.
    I've had the same experience with 1/2" end mills on my 1100. 3/8, 3/4, 17mm and 25mm insert tools I can push up to the power limit but not 1/2". I've tried Niagura, OSG, Atrax, Lakeshore and have not been able to get a decent MMR before it chatters, so I only use 1/2" for light finish passes, if I can't get a 3/8 to reach. All the ones I've tried were 30 degree helix, general purpose. I ordered some high helix 1/2" endmills and I'll see if the results are different.

YG1 high helix aluminum 2 Fl HSSendmills work great. They suggest 4600 RPM 61 IPM if I recall. I run them like that all day long at .25-.3 DOC and .05-.075 WOC. They are 42 deg helix and sound great. I use the same RPM and 20IPM .01 WOC for finish pass at full pocket depth.

I found the high helix is what makes the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    YG1 high helix aluminum 2 Fl HSSendmills work great. They suggest 4600 RPM 61 IPM if I recall. I run them like that all day long at .25-.3 DOC and .05-.075 WOC. They are 42 deg helix and sound great. I use the same RPM and 20IPM .01 WOC for finish pass at full pocket depth.

I found the high helix is what makes the big difference.
    That is an MRR of only about 1.3 cu. in./min. These machines are capable of nearly 3X that, so you're really not working the machine at all....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ive really struggled to get a 1/2 HSS end mil to do much more than a 1/4" HSS end mill without chattering. Shear hog on the other hand can run that 3+ CIM all day long with the deep cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
    Ive really struggled to get a 1/2 HSS end mil to do much more than a 1/4" HSS end mill without chattering. Shear hog on the other hand can run that 3+ CIM all day long with the deep cuts.
    That suggests something wrong with either your machine or your setup. The machine is definitely capable of working quite well with 1/2" tools. and getting upwards of 3 cu. in./min MRR. What kind of holders are you using? Do you hand-tighten the drawbar, or use the PDB? What length tools are you using? 2-, 3-, or 4-flute?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 1 of 2 12