585,996 active members*
4,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What Style of machine to build?

What Style of machine to build?

Im new at all this and new here:wave: but real interested got my electronic gear and ready to build a table, a chain drive is what I want and eventually move to pro type

Really want to hear your comments on what type of table to build

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M68...=0&w=225&h=170

Re: What Style of machine to build?

Rule #1, is don't buy electronics first.

What size machine, and what do you want to do with it.

I'd highly recommend against using chain drive.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What ger21 said.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I built a chain drive machine and switched it to 1/2-13 threaded rod then to Acme fast turn. I learned alot about what works and what doesn't. You really need to share your expectations with us. To get the most focused advice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Rule #1, is don't buy electronics first.

What size machine, and what do you want to do with it.

I'd highly recommend against using chain drive.
    thanks, its a first build and bought motors board software first, not that good of a choice for sure Nema 23 3A, USBCNC 4axis, board dont work ans yeah I aint no bootlegger, running bootlegg software, throwing it in the dumpster, motoes wont run, I have to rethink for electros, need help there also

4x8 table light duty to aluminum for start

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    I built a chain drive machine and switched it to 1/2-13 threaded rod then to Acme fast turn. I learned alot about what works and what doesn't. You really need to share your expectations with us. To get the most focused advice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Well I have no experience, SirTryingtocut is more like it, I figured MDF first build, still have to learn it, so not alot for spending is what I thought but thought wrong, think I will take Mr. G s advice...

Well,... it is a common beginner's reaction to get some electronics and start assembling - anything....

I started many years ago to build a joe2006,but didn't like the need of cutting all those parts with hand tools.
    So I used the joe2006 as a rough starting point for the electronics, but built my own version of an MDF unit with a roughly similar footprint as the joe2006.
    Couldn't decide what to actual cut, but wanted a feature to allow me to carve a small log.

So, you too will have to decide what you want to use it for and what your willing to spend in Canadian dollars to get there. Many here have the know-how and experience to guide you down this road, but you need to make basic decisions. Another route is to buy a kit, like cncrouterparts, or Probotix.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Well,... it is a common beginner's reaction to get some electronics and start assembling - anything....

I started many years ago to build a joe2006,but didn't like the need of cutting all those parts with hand tools.
    So I used the joe2006 as a rough starting point for the electronics, but built my own version of an MDF unit with a roughly similar footprint as the joe2006.
    Couldn't decide what to actual cut, but wanted a feature to allow me to carve a small log.

So, you too will have to decide what you want to use it for and what your willing to spend in Canadian dollars to get there. Many here have the know-how and experience to guide you down this road, but you need to make basic decisions. Another route is to buy a kit, like cncrouterparts, or Probotix.
    wanted to build from scratch, the amount to spend uncertain as
    I am not experienced

so ballscrew is the way I will go, I dont want to spend heavy notes just yet on software, Mach 3 I think is what the plan is
    4x8 big table I want to go with, 2000 bucks is what I hope to Stay under,
    4 axis board and only using three for now
    I have to start as i feel slowed down to much as time rolls with me doing nothing