584,826 active members*
5,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Viper 200 Servo Drives with Linuxcnc

Viper 200 Servo Drives with Linuxcnc

I'm thinking about making the switch to Linuxcnc for a more stable control. My question is will the Viper 200 servo drives be able to run with it in a closed loop.
    I do have us digital encoders on the servo motors.
    Thanks Mike

Re: Viper 200 Servo Drives with Linuxcnc

The viper will only accept step/dir input. It can't be used as just an amplifier. Linixcnc does output step./dir though.

I have found Mach 3 is stable if you use an older (xp/win7-32) Dell or HP computer with a printer port. What problems have you found with mach 3/4 ?

Larry
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    The viper will only accept step/dir input. It can't be used as just an amplifier. Linixcnc does output step./dir though.

I have found Mach 3 is stable if you use an older (xp/win7-32) Dell or HP computer with a printer port. What problems have you found with mach 3/4 ?

Larry
    I'm still in the process of setting up my mill I'm just going by what I have read that linuxcnc is more stable control.

Close the loop to the controller via the encoders. The Viper 200 doesn't care much about what the encoders have to report back other than detecting missed steps and reporting over current faults etc... Its job really is to output when recieving commanded steps. Your controller is the one that will be making any adjustments by monitoring the encoder/feedback. So no problem provided your controller can adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    Close the loop to the controller via the encoders. The Viper 200 doesn't care much about what the encoders have to report back other than detecting missed steps and reporting over current faults etc... Its job really is to output when recieving commanded steps. Your controller is the one that will be making any adjustments by monitoring the encoder/feedback. So no problem provided your controller can adjust.
    Sweet thanks G59.

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    What ?? Sorry, G59, but thats totally wrong ! ( Who the heck told you that ?? )

The Viper is a closed loop drive and of course needs the encoder to close the PID loop that it updates thousands of times a second.

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

What I meant to say. Connect the Viper drive as needed (per instructions), but feed your controller the encoder pulses also. This now gives the controller a say in what is going on and not just the drive's PID.

I'm glad it only took you a week to clarify this.
    Thanks anyways.