585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > recommend me cnc mill for machining moulds

recommend me cnc mill for machining moulds

Hi guys

Im thinking to buy cnc vertical mill 3 axis for machining moulds for plastic and ruber dies etc. My price range is about 20k euro. I have small mill , but its memory limited ( fanuc 0m ) and im not able to much with it.So any recommendations on what should i look into? On what spec's should i keep my eye on, and what spec its a must have on the machine. \

thx

Re: recommend me cnc mill for machining moulds

If it's just a memory problem, why not dedicate an old PC and drip feed the program in. Does your OM have tape mode?

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Hi pewpawn,

As far as what machine you should get for your mold making I can't help you much there. Like millions of others, I have a machining center with OM on it. (Mid 90's version C) And yes they can come with very little local memory. Still, you can take any size file and drip feed that thing. I use a program called dnc4u coupled with a USB to serial port adapter from Keyspan. These work flawlessly. About the only thing I don't like is you cant see the program on the screen while you're running it. But the machine acts as if you were running it local. Meaning feed hold, single block, block skip and all that work normally. If you don't have a "tape" button on your control, you turn on drip feed by going into MDI and hitting M51. Turn it off after with M50. Lastly, there's tons of info out there on the WWW to help you upgrade your control memory.

No it doesnt have a tape mode , its OM version A , and aloso it dont have dripfeed option in the ladder.It seems im stuck with 32k memory :S.

No it doesnt have a tape mode , its OM version A , and aloso it dont have dripfeed option in the ladder.It seems im stuck with 32k memory :S.

Also , does your OM version C does the work? are u satisfied form it? And if u have the $ what machine would u consider to get?

pewpawn,
    underthetire is right....I've installed DNC system to my customer with attaching Old PC with RS232 cable before 3 years and its working till date. They have the same problem as you said Memory. Their products are Dies & Moulds which require too much memory. EasyDNC software is the best solution for you.

Thanks

an Old CNC with a Fanuc 0M A series control doe not have the block Processing speed to do mold work.
    Even with Drip Feed and the fastest Baud rate ( 9600 by the Book, or 19200 with a trick ) is too slow to keep up with 3D movements.
    you Might be Lucky to get to 10 IPM feed rates...

If the Mill is worth it, retrofit the Control. for 15K to 20K

If Not, you have to look at the used market and Find a PC based Control Machine.
    Most Name Brand CNC controls that will give you 3D high speed machining will be far out of that price range.

If a Knee Mill will Suffice, look at Centroid Controls, or MillPwr Controls,
    both of which are very 3D capable, But you need to create the 3D program Off Line, not on the Control.

Which TRAVEL sizes are You searching for ? And where are You located? We do small Cnc machines and have good results for mold making up to 5 axis possible

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk