585,758 active members*
4,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g540 fault, no movement on z axis, other axes work fine

g540 fault, no movement on z axis, other axes work fine

The green power and fault light are lit on the g540 drive. Everything but the z axis is working like it should. It happened all of a sudden today. Has no holding torque and is not buzzing like the others. Mach 3 shows output signal to the motor when I jog it. I had been cutting for a week and a half now with no issues. Is it possible that my motor got fried somehow? Ive restarted, plugged/unplugged everything and no change. I havent plugged it into another axis to determine if the motor is bad and wont be able to until tomorrow. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

MP3000 with DTHCII from candcnc
    hypertherm65
    gecko g540
    automation technologies KL23H2100-35-4B motors. All but the z axis are 3.2:1 gear reduction

Re: g540 fault, no movement on z axis, other axes work fine

Hey, sorry for taking so long to respond to you. We are moving to our new building and we have not had reliable Internet access for a few days.

The easiest way to check to see if the G540 is working correctly is to connect only your power supply, a jumper wire between TERMINAL 10 and 12 and turn off the charge pump switch on the front of the drive. With only those things done you should get a green LED. If you do, begin plugging in your motors one by one to see if the problem is emanating from one axis.

If the red LED stays on regardless of the setup then I would recommend taking the cover off and removing the motherboard from the G250XR3 drives inside. Plug it in the same way as previously described and see if you get a green LED. If you do, then you will want to plug each G250XR3 in individually (powering off while plugging them in) and seeing if you get a green LED with each one. Eventually you will find one that is causing the motherboard to go into FAULT.

When you find that one you can send it back to us for evaluation and repair.

Please follow this link and complete the form to receive an RMA number:

http://www.geckodrive.com/webforms/index/index/id/2/

Most product returns take around 5 business days, but may take longer depending on workload. All drives still covered under warranty are evaluated and repaired free of charge if there is no board-level damage, and include free return shipping within the USA. Some repair charges may apply to drives out of warranty and those with customer induced damage. We will contact you as soon as your drive has been evaluated and if there are any questions from our engineering team.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Re: g540 fault, no movement on z axis, other axes work fine

THanks! I replaced the 250xr3 drive directly under the z axis and it fixed it. I have sent the old drive back with an rma number to see if it can be fixed so I can have an extra one around.