584,849 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Looking for help Tree journeyman 425 mill

Exclamation Looking for help Tree journeyman 425 mill

Hello all,
    I recently purchased a 425 Tree mill at auction. It has a Dynapath 20 control on it. I picked it up for 250 bucks at auction and am hoping everything works (fingers crossed as it was not under power). I do have some questions though.
    1. Some general background on the machine how were they and can you still get parts and pieces for them?
    2. Does anyone have pull studs out there or know a part number where I could order them for the cat 40 tooling ?
    3. Are there manuals both for the control and the machine available out there?
    4. was the machine worth the investment if it is operational?
    Thanks in advance I bought this machine with intentions of doing some aluminum machine work in my garage.

Re: Looking for help Tree journeyman 425 mill

1. Some general background on the machine how were they and can you still get parts and pieces for them? - Parts and Smarts, Ebay, Me - I have a used Dynapath 20 control in a box, servo motors, monitor, etc.
    2. Does anyone have pull studs out there or know a part number where I could order them for the cat 40 tooling ? - Ebay, you need the ones for Fadal / Mazak (short ones)
    3. Are there manuals both for the control and the machine available out there? I have manuals and documentation for the Mill and Dynapath 40 control.
    4. was the machine worth the investment if it is operational? I LOVE my J425 and the Dynapath control!!! At first I was unfamiliar with the conversational programming, but it is quick to learn and after I got used to it I much prefer it for most basic programs. You can still run regular G-code programs.

Quote Originally Posted by newton11n View Post
    Hello all,
    I recently purchased a 425 Tree mill at auction. It has a Dynapath 20 control on it.

3. Are there manuals both for the control and the machine available out there?
    ..Congrats on the new adventure. If, you can check with the Auctioneers about any paperwork might help ya too.
    250 good price. Do you have 3 Phase power in your garage?...going to need it to run the Spindle and coolant pump.
    ..post some photos when you get the machine home.

found these BP's on ebay 325s and 425's were almost the same.....price is right at 13 bucks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tree-325-42...oAAOSwsnBfSC56

are the manuals something you would be looking to sell or part with ? and thanks for all the other answers I will get the pull studs and everything ordered so i can get it up and going asap. As far as power goes i have been looking into purchasing a rotary phase converter/ static converter. Are there pros and cons to either one ?

I just set up 3 phase in our shop. Any recommendations for a path to follow for trouble shooting? We were able to power it up but now the display screen isn't coming on so we wanted to know if there was an ideal sequential order to follow to see what needs to be tested and in what order. We tested the hard drive. Looking at the motherboard and memory next.

Quote Originally Posted by halesdarren View Post
    We were able to power it up but now the display screen isn't coming on
    ...the CRT may just be dead. You can try hooking up any old VGA 15 pin type Monitor or LCD.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynapath-de...0AAOSwNZxcjTOK

good luck on your new/old adventure

Bob at ZPS has parts, manuals, etc for these machines. I've had great success working with Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by halesdarren View Post
    I just set up 3 phase in our shop. Any recommendations for a path to follow for trouble shooting? We were able to power it up but now the display screen isn't coming on so we wanted to know if there was an ideal sequential order to follow to see what needs to be tested and in what order. We tested the hard drive. Looking at the motherboard and memory next.
    All kinds of things to check! Are you getting any trouble lights on the dynapath boards? Like a WDT fail light? The pins on the crystal oscillators will corrode off especially on the 10.640mhz one on the processor board, could be the power supply needs the capacitors replaced and or the capacitors on the TV monitor needs replaced, tried to upload pictures for you but the file was to big, pm me your cell number or email and I can send you pictures, I also have most of the dynapath manuals and the tree manuals for a J325 but they are very similar machines